Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I've noticed a spot on Rupert's belly that kind of looks like a mole (not really all that raise but brown in color and about the size of a pencil eraser). Any thoughts on what this could be?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I'm probably being overdramatic, but I would be worried that was a melanoma. Carmella had a dark spot about the size of a pea on her paw when she was 5, and it turned out to be a malignant melanoma. We removed it and she had no problems ever since that, but I would definitely have it checked out. A lot of times melanomas are NOT malignant though.

Do you have pictures you can show us?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not thinking it would be a melanoma seeing as he is only 3 months old (I guess you never know though). I tried taking a picture of it, but my camera is not amazing and wouldn't focus enough to get it.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I'm not thinking it would be a melanoma seeing as he is only 3 months old (I guess you never know though). I tried taking a picture of it, but my camera is not amazing and wouldn't focus enough to get it.
Ah, I didn't know he was so young. I don't know how melanoma works, but you're probably right. He's most likely too young.

Maybe it's a birthmark? :p:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm hoping it is something like that. I don't really remember it being there when I got him. He doesn't have any other spots that I can find either, so who knows. I am going to keep an eye on it and either take him in if it changes or wait until I go in next month and have the vet take a look then.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Could it be a nipple? Next puppy visit you might have them check it out. If anymore show up then I would get him to the vet.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It wasn't a nipple... I don't know what it was. My friend and I took a closer look tonight and it started coming off with some stronger scrubbing with a sponge. The skin underneath did look a little bit irritated, but I have no clue what that was. He just had a bath two nights ago so who knows. I'm just glad it is gone. Will definitely keep an eye on the irritation though. Thanks for the input from those that gave it.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Glad that it came off, hopefully it was a one time thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts