Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Golden Lovers,

I have a 3 months old puppy called Justin. He had a skin desease, red spot all over his body, even on the tail as well. it looks like a pimple, i did try to press the red spot, and there was a liquid came out from it.

well, i though it was caused by pet insect and i decided to cut his hair in order to get rid of the insect and its eggs. it's nasty.

i bath him with antiseptic and still i can't get rid of the red spot. Or maybe it is not caused by the insect? maybe something else which i dont know.

What type of skin desease is that? Have you ever had this problem before?
How to cure this skin desease? Can anyone recommend me a product to use?

Thank you so much,
Justin.

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
My guess would be Staph infection, I would take him to the vet to have him looked at.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I would get my dog to a vet as quickly as possible. In order to treat the problem properly you need to find the cause of the problem. There are several factors that can affect skin...the food the dog is eating, yeast inbalance, airborn allergens, fleas, mites, immune definciency.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Yes, please get him to the vet and don't "squeeze" the sores. He may well need some antibiotics to help clear this up......

·
Cody, Daisy, Ollie's mom
729 Posts
I agree with everybody. Your pup is still so young and his immune system can't fight whatever he's got right now. A trip to the vet is a must. It sounds like it's spreading too. It can be a lot of things...puppy acne is very common but so is mange since he's only 3 month old. Allergy, bacterial infections, mites, you name it. The vet can do a culture or scraping and determine what organisms are causing the problem. The treatment options vary depending on what he has. Good luck. The earlier you start him on the right meds, the faster he'll be free of those nasty spots.

·
Premium Member
16,423 Posts
I completely agree that it sounds like puppy staph and needs oral antibiotics that only the vet can give. Best of luck with this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your reply :)

unfortunately, i don't have a vet in my town, because i live in surburb in indonesia.
so what i can do is just having him an antibiotic for human, but in small amount.

Can you suggest me to any kind of brand of medicine please...?

Thank you very much,
Justin

·
Murphy's mom
1,025 Posts
It is too dangerous to just give human antibiotics, to a small puppy. Please try to find someone who treats animals...or even a physician would be better than guessing at what the rash is and guessing at dosages for a small puppy. Drugs are given by the weight of the subject and some medications that work for humans are toxic to puppies. I hope you find help.

·
Angel Gage's Grandma
8,017 Posts
Absolutely do not give your puppy human medicine. Some are safe in the proper amounts, but others can be fatal. You need to talk to a veterinarian, even if it means a trip. You also need to know what is causing the red spots so you can give the right kind of medicine. Puppies are like human babies, and they are very fragile.

·
Registered
21,134 Posts
also sounds like there might be some "puppy mange" going on (demodex mange).
Can you get Advantage Multi spot-on flea/tick/heartworm there? It might be sold as "Advocate" in your country. That can be used for treating demodex mange.
As far as the antibiotics, at the very least go pick up an antibiotic shampoo made for animals, often you can find them at a farm supply store.
Hope that's at least some help.

·
Cody, Daisy, Ollie's mom
729 Posts
Okay, this is getting scary. Without a proper diagnosis, no medicine is effective. Do not give antibiotics blindfolded. Please. If you can't make a trip to your vet, will they at least do a phone consult? Maybe you can take digital pictures and send them to them to see. Like others said, human medicine are not made for animals. It can kill your puppy. If it's absolutely impossible to go to your vet then I would suggest just treating the skin topically. Do not administer any systemic drugs like antibiotics.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts