Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have 4 goldens and we want to give them skin and coat, and joint supplements. Does anyone know a good product that does both? or one that would be easier then giving 3-4 skin and coat treats/capsules and 3-4 joint treats per dog? or even something that I can buy in bulk?

I seen powder and liquid capsules and treats. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Ben

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Fish oil (omega 3s) are good for coat and skin and joints. Many combine that with a glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM supplement.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
We just give our dogs fish oil capsules. We use the human grade and they're 1000 mg each. We usually buy the Spring Valley brand. We put it right on top of their kibble and they have no problems eating it. It's great for skin, coat, joints, heart, and immune system.

·
aka Ali, Oscar's mom
493 Posts
We give Oscar herring oil for omega 3/6/DHA/EPA. That particular one is marketed as a pet brand, but it is high quality. Going for human grade is also an option (since there might be other chemicals or metals or something in non-human-grade ones, or so I've read). I believe there are specific DHA/EPA daily values you are meant to go for, I just can't remember them right now... I think there are a couple threads addressing this on the forum.
For joint health, we give him glucosamine/chondroitin powder capsules; just open the capsules and pour the powder on his food (we feed raw so that is easy to mix in). That is a human grade supplement... we take that one as well! :) We bought the glucosamine/chondroitin in bulk... I think that one was from Walmart, but Costco is also a great option. Both omega and glucosamine/chondrotin types of supplements are available in larger quantities this way... we just watch for a sale and grab a few bottles.
I'd always talk to my vet or nutritionist first about giving supplements, but we are happy with ours so far.

EDIT: Just wanted to remind anyone looking into using the capsules/pills... you just have to check what fillers/extras are in there, because a lot of times there are artificial sweeteners and stuff, that I prefer not to give my dog.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok so I was looking at these 3 items they all seem pretty similar. What I am wondering should I find a omega 3/6/9 product to give with one of these or would one of these be good enough? They all say that they are great for skin and coat.

Wholistic Canine Complete Joint Mobility:
http://www.thewholisticpet.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=548&ParentCat=40

Springtime Longevity
http://www.springtimeinc.com/product/121/2

Nupro Joint Support
http://www.nuprostore.com/nuprojointsup.htm

Thanks
Ben

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
All 3 of those are great. I especially like the Wholistic Pet products. I have used them and my dogs looked great. From the vets I've talked with and the reading I've done, they say that commercial food has a great abundance of omega 6's, and really what needs to be added is omega 3's.... DHA and EPA. From a seminar I went to a few weeks ago, the vet said it is the one supplement she recommends across the board. She also said she recommends 300 mg of EPA/DHA added together per 10 lbs of weight. Which, BTW, is what we've been doing. I use either the Icelandic Pure Salmon Oil or share the liquid Carlson's Finest Fish Oil that our internist has DH and me on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts