Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My pup is just over 7 months old, is about 20-21 inches tall from ground to shoulder blades (when standing on all 4's) and weighs about 50 pounds. She seems a little small to me, almost like she is still a puppy. Does this sound to small for her age? Am I not feeding enough? She gets 2.5 - 3 cups BB large breed puppy food a day. She seems small but maybe its just cause im with her everyday so I don't realize how big she has gotten? Bottom line....Does my dog seem to be a normal size for her age?

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I believe the typical female Golden weighs somewhere between 55-65 lbs. 50 lbs. at 7 mos. doesn't sound small to me.

Just for reference...my male weighed 60 lbs. at 7 mos. and at 6.5 mos. was 22" at the shoulders.

ETA: weight for mature female

·
Dexter's Mom aka Kristin
625 Posts
My boy is 8 months old, 23" from ground to shoulder, and bouncing back and forth between 62.2 and 62.8 lbs. He gets 1 cup of food for breakfast (then a kong with a 1/4 cup of food and peanut butter) and 1 1/2 cups for supper.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe its just that she seems short cause she is right around the same weight as everyone else's. Her dad was huge, 95 pounds, so I guess im just comparing her to him

·
Banned
2,299 Posts
Im in the same boat with Oakley.. he is 8.5 months and probably 60lbs but he looks short?? His dad was also huge 90lbs. Everyone else says he is growing , but im with him all day so dont see it..

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
My golden bitch who weighed 62 lbs full grown was 48 lbs at 6 months. My golden bitch who weighed about 52 lbs full grown was 35 lbs at 6 months. Hope this helps.

Reactions: mfreib1

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
And a 95 lb male IS way above standard!!!

·
Riot's mom
632 Posts
Riot, my male, is now 14 months and is wavering around 60 pounds. I have a feeling that he is going to end up under the standard (65-75). He hasn't gained any weight since he turned one year. And he gets 4 cups of food a day....

So to answer your question, I don't think she sounds small at all! Like was said, the standard for females is 55 to 65 pounds. She IS still a puppy at 7 months. I'm guessing she will keep growing to be on the high end (if not over) the standard. I think a lot of people are used to seeing huge goldens (most likely developed, unfortunately, by BYBs) but they are really a medium to large dog, not a large to extra large. I wouldn't worry at all about your girl.

·
Dexter's Mom aka Kristin
625 Posts
My boys parents were 65 and 70, so I have a feeling he may get a little taller, but not much heavier. The vet was anticipating 26" and 85 lbs. I don't really foresee that happening at this point.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Tucker is just over 18 months and is 23" at the shoulders and was 58lbs at last weigh in.. he gets a cup of food in the morning and a cup at night. To me he seems so short, but his paws are very large so I am guessing he will grow a bit more.. but when!? His dad is 74lbs at 4 yrs

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Bentley is 48 pounds at 6 1/2 months. I don't know how tall he is because I don't know how to measure him :curtain: I get that you measure to the shoulders but I don't know how to get him to stand still. The tape measure is too much excitement.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Bentley is 48 pounds at 6 1/2 months. I don't know how tall he is because I don't know how to measure him :curtain: I get that you measure to the shoulders but I don't know how to get him to stand still. The tape measure is too much excitement.
Ha!! Even and a year and half Tucker wanted to eat the tape measure... We just asked him to wait politely, hes pretty good at it :)

·
Dexter's Mom aka Kristin
625 Posts
i just hold a treat out in front of him. dad had to help me last time. too excited for the treat. lol

Reactions: Bentley's Mom

·
Megan, Moose's Mom
746 Posts
moose is 4 months and 2 weeks i do believe, and he is 50lbs. he won't let me measure him because he keeps trying to eat the measuring tape, but a family friend has a female that is a month older then him, and he is taller then her. but i know males are bigger.. and he was a huge puppy. lol

·
Registered
471 Posts
Here's a website with a great height/weight chart for Goldens. It shows small, average, and large at different ages and both genders. Ozzy has been average weight all along but a bit taller.

Golden Retriever Puppy Growth Charts
Yup. That's the chart I've been looking at since I got Butter. He's pretty much been right on the average number since day one (we got him at 5-6 weeks). He's a mutt, but appears that his height and weight are directly tracking his golden third.

They said that he was six weeks when we got him. However, his weight ~6lbs, and trouble tracking in a straight line (he teetered around like a drunk for the first few days) leads me to think that he was a bit younger (maybe a week younger).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts