Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My six-year-old male golden retriever’s tail has gotten very fuzzy and wiry and thick. It seems to be flyaway hair if you know what I mean. How can I make it smooth and silky again. It’s hard to trim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Random question, but why is it hard to trim?
It’s just that it so thick and bushy. I did my best on it today it doesn’t look too bad.
Did you get him neutered? Altering can cause what is called "spay/neuter coat" in some animals where the hair becomes wooly, and "Frizzy" in texture.
yes , it’s been a little while since he was neutered . Thank you for the information very helpful😊

·
Registered
178 Posts
My six-year-old male golden retriever’s tail has gotten very fuzzy and wiry and thick. It seems to be flyaway hair if you know what I mean. How can I make it smooth and silky again. It’s hard to trim
Hard to trim because scissors won’t cut through it or hard to trim because the dog won’t hold still? I’m very curious to see what this tail fur looks like

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Try the conditioner listed in the link below. Apply it to his tail after you bathe him. I also dilute some in a spray bottle and mist my one boys tail as needed. He swims everyday in the summer and it tends to dry his tail out. He swims in ponds and our pool. I think the chlorine is what's hard on his tail. It's available on Amazon as well.

A picture would be interesting to see...

Conditioner

·
Kate
23,939 Posts
Hard to trim because scissors won’t cut through it or hard to trim because the dog won’t hold still? I’m very curious to see what this tail fur looks like
That is what I was puzzling over....

I'm gathering that the tail is matted - which often is the case when the tails are left untrimmed and isn't brushed often. Which that may be the biggest problem. A stripper would help cut through the matts + using a detangler or oil to make it easier to brush out the tail would be a first step.

Then twist the tail around and around and slide your hand down to the end of the tail like the below - and Trim the tail! Most people leave excess feathers on the tail while also never brushing and this causes really bad mats.

Hand Arm Eyebrow Mouth Jaw

1 - 9 of 9 Posts