Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my sister in law calls me last night after 9PM, asking how do you induce vomiting in a dog. I know you can, but I tell her you really shouldn't need to. I know you don't always want them to vomit, AND she is not a pet person so it should NOT be done by her. She tells me Dixie is listless, not eating and has a distended abdomen. I said "sounds like she needs an E vet". She says she will talk to her husband.

Ok this is where I get REALLY frustrated. At Christmas they tell us Dixie is limping behind. She was running and leaping and they think she pulled a muscle. Well both my husband and I tell her it is more likely a torn CCL. Will they take the dog to a vet for a diagnosis? No. I know they won't fix it but shouldn't you at least find out what the problem is? Do you think they will take the dog to the vet for this???

She thinks her neighbors poisoned Dixie. She has an issue with her neighbors, and whether it is real or not, she has really pissed them off. I hope they wouldn't take it out on a defenseless dog. My SIL should not have a dog. Seriously! The poor thing (rott/lab mix) does go outside for potty but other than that lives in the basement away from human companionship. Why? Because she is wild, why is she wild? because they NEVER EVER exercise her. She is the SWEETEST dog, just wants to be loved and played with. In the summer Dixie gets to go up north to stay with my in-laws while SIL and family go on vacation. We have been there with our dogs at the same time. She loves to swim and play, is very gentle, she is big and she was never taught to control her body but that is not her fault.

I can't stand it when she calls me for vet advice. First of all I am not a vet, secondly even if I did know what to do, it is not my place to make the decision. I am the first person to tell someone to contact their vet. She just does not want to spend money on the dog.

I kind of hope something is really wrong with the dog. That way maybe they will put her down and Dixie can finally be free. I told my SIL to keep me posted. I doubt she will.

Frustrated
Ann

·
Premium Member
18,635 Posts
That's awful, poor Dixie. Can you check on her this morning?

·
Angel Gage's Grandma
8,017 Posts
How very sad for poor Dixie. I believe failure to provide proper veterinary care is illegal in most places. Maybe that bit of info will prompt SIL to take poor Dixie to the vet.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
That is so sad for Dixie, I sure hope they get her to a vet soon. Why do they even have her if they're not willing to put the time and effort into training and exercising her and she has to stay in the basement? I would be terribly frustrated too and would probably say something that would get me into trouble!

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
how horrible and sad. are you able to find out this morning how Dixie is doing?

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Frustrating. I hope that the dog can be rehomed if they sincerely don't give her the time, attention, or medical care she needs and deserves. Sometimes family makes me crazy!

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
I'm not sure why she would call you (an OBVIOUS dog lover) for advice... the advice being GO TO THE VET... and then not doing it. It would be like a slap in the face to me. I hope poor Dixie gets the proper care she needs (and deserves) and doesn't have to suffer.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got an email from my SIL. They chose not to take Dixie to the vet :mad: they said she sort of ate, and is still abnormally quiet. However she did have a perky session in the afternoon.

I told her dogs are stoic. If they are off their food, or behaving abnormally they are trying to tell you something is wrong. I said since she called me for advice on Monday, I am adding my 2¢. I realize, vets are not cheap, but isn't the piece of mind that nothing is really wrong worth it? She could still have a blockage, and unless she has seen her vomit or pass something in her stool, she should probably not be trying to feed her.

The thing is they are not watching this dog. I guess Dixie is a tough girl, but I am still worried she has a problem.

There are times my dogs act, less than themselves however they have ALWAYS eaten ravenously. If one of my dogs stopped eating I would be off to the vet post haste.

Ann

1 - 10 of 10 Posts