Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there - thank you for all the info on this forum! I’m learning a lot. I know studs under 2yo can’t get OFA certs, but is it ok if their dam and sire have clear health certs? I’m looking at a littler by the sire and dam below from Classic Heritage in NorCal. I’ve asked them for all the missing health certs for the dam so hopefully I’ll get those soon. Thanks!

sire: Roman of Sweetmeats

dam: Eye of the Morning Sun AKCSS06680903

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Roman is not old enough regardless of his sire and dam (dam is ok in dogs too) status health test wise. But even if that WERE ok, which it's not, his dam does not have full clearances listed. Eyes should be done yearly, hearts by cardiologist and hips and elbows after 2YO. The dam of the litter is also lacking- https://www.ofa.org/advanced-search?f=sr&appnum=1980359 she has an inadequate cardiac clearance and no eyes are listed. There are enough elbows missing on dogs (half sibs sire side) that I would assume there is an elbow issue in her pedigree too. And you should consider as well that they do not compete, so may or may not grasp proper structure. They also operate using what is called a guardian program, but basically that is you get a dog when it is losing all it's coat from having had a litter, repeatedly, until 4 litters are produced and you get to pay for that dog's upkeep. It's not a good deal for anyone but the breeder who gets to use your dog's uterus for free. I do not know ANY (not one) breeders who are reputable in a good way who use this pyramid method of breeding.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,505 Posts
That would be a NO. That means the breeder is breeding unethically. Dams shouldn't breed under 2yo not just for certs but for the health of the dam. Though the female was born 8/2017 (2 last august) so there is NO reason to breed her before clearances are done. The male wont be 2 until 5/2018. I wouldn't touch this breeder with a 39.5 foot pole. The male is an import as well. This is why they don't have clearances... They import and sometimes they will have clearances done at 1 year old and use that as clearances. The GRCA CoE state they must be retested under USA guidelines and that would mean OFA graded Hips/Elbows at 24 months eye exams yearly and a heart certification by cardiologist only, not practitioner. They are importing dogs and breeding for profit more then likely with what I'm seeing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts