Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Sir Moose was Attacked On his Walk

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Anele 
#1 ·
Jerry had a real scare this morning. He was walking Sir Moose as he does every morning and was on one of Sir Moose's favorite walking routes--Jerry always lets Sir Moose pick which of the 5 routes he wants to walk each morning. Well, they are walking along and suddenly two dogs came charging out snarling. One had done this before but the owner called him back. But today, there ere the 2 of them. Dog # 1 was the closest (he is the one that went after Sir Moose before) and Jerry started wacking him with his walking cane.

The 2ed dog reached Sir Moose, but Sir Moose was faster and he grabbed that dog by the scruff of the neck and tossed him. The dog came back snarling and Sir Moose repeated his action. About that time the oners came out0-0they live acorss from ech other and Jerry and Sir Moose were actually in the street. The owner of dog #1 was yelling and cussing Jerry for "beating on his dog" and the owner of dog #2 was apologizing and making sure neither Sir Moose nor Jerry was hurt.

He told the owner of dog #1 that the dogs had charged Sir Moose and Jerry was in his right to protect his dog and himself. The guy was yelling his dog never did anything like that and Jerry reminded him he had had to get his dog a couple of weeks ago after it had charged out. He took his dog and went inside. The owner of dog #2 said he had been repairing his gate and the dog had managed to get it open and get out. Remember fences are down all over town due to Hurricane Harvey, and those that aren't totally down need work. The owner of dog #1 lost his entire fence. But the owner of dog #2 told Jerry that that guy his dog run loose all the time.

Sir Moose was not injured, don't think the dog ever got his mouth on him, and Sir Moose didn't injure that dog either, not a drop of blood, just slobber. For 6 weeks Sir Moose never got out of the house without being on a leash. Ws freed in back yard after fence was up, but never loose. However, there are folks all over town that just let their dogs run loose and it makes me angry. Jerry and Sir Moose should be able to take a walk with worrying about being attacked by another dog/dogs. Jerry said both dogs are mixes of some kind, some appearing to have pitt or like pitt, and both about 50 pounds. Sir Moose is only 80 pounds, so thin and is 10, but Jerry said he sure didn't act his age this morning.

This is his 2ed encounter with loose dog. We had doors and windows open and had two chairs blocking the patio door and we only had to tell him NO twice and he never attempted to go out that door with the chairs there. But I was on the computer one day and he was in bedroom across the hall andhe came teraing out snarling NOT SIR MOOSE AT ALL. I jumped up and ran down the hall and there was a pit bull in our dining room and Sir Moose was straddle it like he was riding it laying down. His head was right over that dog's head. But the dog was not acting aggressive in the least. I made Sir Moose back off and shooed the dog outside. Was white with some brown patches and turlly a sweet dog. Bit Sir Moose didn't think it should be in our house. Jerry was telling someone else about it and they asked if it had on a bue collar and Jerry said yes. Said the dog kept getting out of make shift pen, but was extremely friendly. However, she worried he would be hit by a car.

See less See more
Reactions: kellyguy
#2 ·
Glad that Sir Moose wasn't injured. It's no fun finding yourself in the middle of a dog fight and even less fun when you have to deal with a jerk owner. I've been lucky so far with Duffy in not encountering any actual attacks, but I've had to modify my normal walking route to avoid one highly reactive dog in a fenced in yard that jumped the fence once to go after him. The only thing that prevented the attack was the other dog got hung up in the fence and probably injured itself enough that it decided not to pursue us. I'm not sure how Duffy would respond, he's usually a big teddy bear with other dogs but you never know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.