Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been looking at a singleton pup from a breeder in Missouri. We've had Goldens for years, but lost our most recent one too early (9 years and a few months) so want to be really careful this time. Does anyone have any thoughts on this type of puppy? The breeder is LHA Goldens and they seem to be wonderful people. We are particularly drawn to the puppy since it was born just a few days after ours died - tho we have done other research. Thanks for any guidance!

·
Registered
9,318 Posts
Depends on who the parents are- Leah has an inadequate heart clearance, as does Dori. Autumn's name is wrong on their site- I find that odd!
Post who sire and dam are and someone can assess your risk for you.
Singletons do have their own set of issues, much of whether those happen will be on the breeder's attention.

·
Registered
138 Posts
We've been looking at a singleton pup from a breeder in Missouri. We've had Goldens for years, but lost our most recent one too early (9 years and a few months) so want to be really careful this time. Does anyone have any thoughts on this type of puppy? The breeder is LHA Goldens and they seem to be wonderful people. We are particularly drawn to the puppy since it was born just a few days after ours died - tho we have done other research. Thanks for any guidance!
Prism will be able to give you great advice based on the parents' information.

I just wanted to say that when you are looking for a breeder, how kind they are to you is a totally neutral consideration. Disreputable breeders who haven't put in the expensive work of ensuring the parents are a good match and are free of the breed's common genetic disorders, and who did not put in the expensive time and effort of raising the puppies right (particularly important with a singleton who did not have siblings to learn with/from) stand to make a lot of money selling puppies. They treat the puppies like a luxury item they are selling, so they will definitely be nice to you because if you purchase, you'll be giving them upwards of $2500.

I'm not saying that that's what is happening here. They might be great! Just a caution to be careful about basing any of your decision on how they treat you. Almost without exception, a breeder will treat you well.

One thing that would make me proceed with considerable caution here, is that this is a singleton litter, and it sounds like when you contacted them the puppy was already on the ground. It is really weird to me that they bred a litter, there's a single puppy, and they had no waiting list at all. Most reputable breeders have waitlists that stretch out for at least a year's worth of their breeding plan right now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Depends on who the parents are- Leah has an inadequate heart clearance, as does Dori. Autumn's name is wrong on their site- I find that odd!
Post who sire and dam are and someone can assess your risk for you.
Singletons do have their own set of issues, much of whether those happen will be on the breeder's attention.
Mother is Dori and father is Rus Pekos Krasavec

1 - 5 of 5 Posts