Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My landlord has been a little strange with showing my apartment (I move in about 2 weeks). First off, she called me ON THANKSGIVING to see if she could show my apartment the next morning. My parents were in town and I was hardly checking my phone, so I didn't get the Vmail until the next day.

Being the nice person I am, I allowed her to show my apartment that Sunday at 10am.

She calls me today while I'm in a conference and leaves a message to the note of "Oh I showed your apartment to someone this morning - boy your dog is friendly!" :doh::doh::doh:

First off - PLEASE tell me when you are showing my apartment. I would have picked up that pair of panties from the floor and cleaned up my cereal bowl I left dripping in the sink. Ugh, I hate the feeling knowing that someone saw my slovenly way of living. Second of all... PLEASE TELL ME WHEN YOU ARE SHOWING MY APARTMENT and don't try to cheerfully imply that my dog was a nuisance. I can't do anything with her on the weekdays, especially when I don't know you're coming!

She's lucky Flora is a friendly goon around strangers, I tell you what.

/rant

·
Registered
277 Posts
ouch, yeah that would bother me too! are laws different there? i know in Alberta legally a landlord must give you 24 hours notice before they enter your home

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
I would be more then a bit upset if someone was in my home without my permission....I would be pissed.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lol, to top it off, last Sunday when she showed it I got like 5 voicemails from her (I was out hiking with my parents and didn't have my phone).

when I listened to them she first told me that she left my apartment unlocked after she had shown it and would "drive across town" to lock it if I wasn't home.

The next voicemail was "Oh... I was hoping you were home. If I don't hear from you I will drive across town to lock your apartment." Then the next voicemail was a hang up, and the following one was "I locked your apartment, everything is safe!" My apartment complex is very safe, so I wasn't really angry, but I was like - did you need to call me 5 times and subtly imply that it was an inconvenience to drive across town to lock my apt?

Oh well.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I understand where you are coming from, but since you've given notice that you are moving, and the landlord has a right to show the property, you may want to go ahead and keep things picked up until you move.

When I had my house on the market to sell, it was in "showable" condition every morning before I left for work. There were notes on the doors advising realtors that my dogs were out back and they were not to go in the yard without me present. You just add a few extra minutes to your routine to tidy up before you leave for work.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I understand where you are coming from, but since you've given notice that you are moving, and the landlord has a right to show the property, you may want to go ahead and keep things picked up until you move.

When I had my house on the market to sell, it was in "showable" condition every morning before I left for work. There were notes on the doors advising realtors that my dogs were out back and they were not to go in the yard without me present. You just add a few extra minutes to your routine to tidy up before you leave for work.
Oh totally, but I really would appreciate a fair warning that someone is showing up. What if I had just gotten out of the shower and she showed up with someone??

·
Registered
525 Posts
Lol, to top it off, last Sunday when she showed it I got like 5 voicemails from her (I was out hiking with my parents and didn't have my phone).

when I listened to them she first told me that she left my apartment unlocked after she had shown it and would "drive across town" to lock it if I wasn't home.

The next voicemail was "Oh... I was hoping you were home. If I don't hear from you I will drive across town to lock your apartment." Then the next voicemail was a hang up, and the following one was "I locked your apartment, everything is safe!" My apartment complex is very safe, so I wasn't really angry, but I was like - did you need to call me 5 times and subtly imply that it was an inconvenience to drive across town to lock my apt?

Oh well.
Be thankful that she was kind enough to drive back across town and lock up, and let you know about it. A lot of folks wouldn't have taken the time.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I would not be happy at all. Good thing you're out of there in a couple of weeks. I lived in an apartment and the landlady's brother was the maintenace guy. I'd be watching TV and feel like someone was watching me and then I'd turn around and he'd be standing behind the couch! He was so creepy. And then one day (before I had a dog) the landlady's 5 year old terror daughter tells me, "I got to watch your fish and play with your lizzards while you were at work" At the time I had several geckos that were worth well over $500 a piece and they didn't have permission to be in there anyways! I was so glad to be out of a place like that.

Hopefully it gets rented soon and you don't have to deal with the showing madness anymore!

·
Registered
277 Posts
i still can't get over the fact that you guys aren't covered legally by a warning of them coming lol.. like you said if they just show up and your changing or showering.. i know for our place when we gave our notice she had to give us 24 hours notice to the time she would be there.

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,598 Posts
I wouldn't be happy at all, you're still the current tenant regardless of how much time you have left on your lease and she should be considerate of you.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Oh my gosh I know EXACTLY how you feel!!

We were renting a basement apartment from this family, and the lady upstairs would pound on the door and say "Hey, someone is coming to check the place out in 10 minutes, can you do something with the dogs?"

It was so rude! She did it 3 or 4 times! I finally gave up and started leaving Tucker fur everywhere just to make her angry LOL.

One time we were gone away for the weekend, and when we came home she had been in our BEDROOM, and she made our bed all pretty like.

I know it was her house but what right does she have to come into our apartment when we're not home and touch our stuff!?

Sooo glad we moved outta that place.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In my landlady's defense, she has never been anything but nice, and I have been nothing but nice to her as well, but I just think her modus operandi is a bit sketchy. Call me on a holiday, leave my door unlocked, pop by with no warning, etc. I'm waiting for her to show up on my doorstep with a potential tenant at 9pm on a weekend and then the craziness will be complete.

Fortunately I'm out of town this weekend! :p:

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Even though you have given notice...it still doesnt negate the fact that it is your domicile - bought and paid for!....Good Lord what if the people seeing the apartment stole something, damaged your property or hurt or injured your dog! YIKES~~~
We always had to give 24 hours notice before showing an apartment...always....no exceptions.

Reactions: fostermom

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I looked up the laws for NC and entry without consent is allowed if:

"[...] provided reasonable notice of time and place given or landlord reasonably believes tenant has abandoned premises."

I don't know if "abandoned premises" means I'm just out for the day, or if that means I've actually moved out and left the apartment for good. Either way I'm not going to bring the law into this, but I have nicely stressed to her that if she provides me with fair warning, I will make sure to tidy up before she comes.

Frankly, I think having to deal with Flora is punishment enough. ;) She jumps and cries and goes bonkers with people, so I'm sure she was a handful.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would not be happy at all. Good thing you're out of there in a couple of weeks. I lived in an apartment and the landlady's brother was the maintenace guy. I'd be watching TV and feel like someone was watching me and then I'd turn around and he'd be standing behind the couch! He was so creepy. And then one day (before I had a dog) the landlady's 5 year old terror daughter tells me, "I got to watch your fish and play with your lizzards while you were at work" At the time I had several geckos that were worth well over $500 a piece and they didn't have permission to be in there anyways! I was so glad to be out of a place like that.

Hopefully it gets rented soon and you don't have to deal with the showing madness anymore!
THAT would have grossed me out (the maintenance guy) and pissed me off (the daughter)! I'm glad you didn't have a dog at the time for that little girl to play with, who knows what would have happened?

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Ew @ Maintenance guy!!

We had shared laundry so the people upstairs were in our apartment every weekend. They had a 10 year old daughter who was pretty annoying.

She'd come downstairs then for some reason lock herself in the dog crate with both dogs in there with her... I kept telling her nicely not to do that but she never listened and I was about to yell at someone else's kid.

Her mom came down finally and freaked out and said the dogs were going to bite her.

Sooo glad to be out of that place.

·
gone
1,443 Posts
Oh totally, but I really would appreciate a fair warning that someone is showing up. What if I had just gotten out of the shower and she showed up with someone??
THAT happened to my sister and she liked to walk naked in the house, her landlord was in the kitchen when she walked in out of the shower..... He NEVER did that again. LOL

It is a law pretty well everywhere that a landlord MAY NOT enter their tenants property without proper notice. They are trespassing if they enter without telling you and voicemails don't count.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, she called me today around 5 to let me know she's coming by tomorrow, which I appreciated immensely. She told me she thought Flora was just the greatest dog ever, seemed to get a real kick out of being greeted by a roo'ing dog with a stuffed leopard print bone in her mouth. ;)

All I asked for is fair warning, and she's responded satisfactorily. I am happy!

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
LOL things are no different here at my winter palace in the great white north. I'm renting a place for me and the boys for us to stay during the week. I've had guys working in the basement without even letting me know. It is a little odd to hear people talking in your house when you haven't even let them in. Up here I just chalk it up to the small town culture. The boys didn't understand the French Canadian being spoken in the cellar.

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Wow I would be pissed. I have a dog who would bite someone who entered on my property if I was not home.

My lawyer and house insurance told me that even if I am renting as long as the sign I have states "dog on premises" or the one I have states "This property it protected by trained dogs...Enter at your own risk"

My lawyer said because I have "Enter at your own risk" it waives me of any liability had my dogs bite. They knew the risk, they chose to enter anyway so they deserve everything they get.

I would be so concerned that they landlord would come into my house like that, your lucky your dog is happy go lucky. Me...when I get out of the shower I am naked until I get clothes...if she was standing there with potential tenants while I came out of the shower naked she may lose her eyesight LOL

My aunt and cousin actually was having narcotics go missing from their unit. They knew it was their landlord because no one else had the key. There were a few different types in there as both needed them for various conditions. They were falling short by a week and sometimes two for their scripts so the one day I went out and bought a lock box. We put all the meds in there and locked it. Left a note taped on the outside that read "HAHA Nice Try Linda!" and it stopped for a few weeks. Then it started again and she was actually breaking the lock on the safe so the one day I brought my dog over and I laid in her bed on watching TV where the meds were kept.

Landlord came in...got greeted by my dog with all his teeth showing and spit flying everywhere (on a leash) and never came back again. We reported and reported it to the renters tribunal here and nothing ever got done. So sometimes, even though its law no one cares.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts