Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just bought a new shampoo for the pups and washed them both last night. Allee has been scratching like crazy ever since. Is this a clear sign of some sort of allergy or irritant to something in the shampoo. She's getting a bath again today in her old stuff just in case, just curious if you think this is probably the problem. On that note, any suggestions of a good non-allergenic shampoo? We're pretty sure Allee has a grain allergy, and this is an oatmeal based shampoo, so maybe we knowingly did this to her.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
*bumping up*

I don't think oatmeal shampoo will cause any problems to a grain allergic dog, atleast it never has with mine. Perhaps you didn't rinse the shampoo out enough and it's irritating her skin now that its dried?

·
16,000 Posts
We just bought a new shampoo for the pups and washed them both last night. Allee has been scratching like crazy ever since. Is this a clear sign of some sort of allergy or irritant to something in the shampoo. She's getting a bath again today in her old stuff just in case, just curious if you think this is probably the problem. On that note, any suggestions of a good non-allergenic shampoo? We're pretty sure Allee has a grain allergy, and this is an oatmeal based shampoo, so maybe we knowingly did this to her.

Was the shampoo heavily fragranced? Usually it is the perfumes in shampoos that irritates them. A good, botanical based hypoallergenic shampoo should do the trick. In the meantime, I'd give her a Benedryl to help her stop itching. You can also rinse her in a dilution of Listerine and water, which would help get the irritant off, and settle her skin (or, white vinegar and water...)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was the shampoo heavily fragranced? Usually it is the perfumes in shampoos that irritates them. A good, botanical based hypoallergenic shampoo should do the trick. In the meantime, I'd give her a Benedryl to help her stop itching. You can also rinse her in a dilution of Listerine and water, which would help get the irritant off, and settle her skin (or, white vinegar and water...)
The shampoo wasn't heavily fragranced...part of the reason why we wanted to try something new. I guess it could be that it wasn't rinsed out that well, but I'll try some additional rinses. Is white vinegar a substitute Listerine? Will there be a lingering vinegar or Listerine stench?

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I only use the Eqyss micro-tek shampoo. We found it when Cody had terrible skin infections and it stopped his horrid itching immediately and then helped him heal. Personally, I will never use anything else. I buy a gallon every 10-12 months and it does our 4 weekly. I dilute it down quite a bit. Also, remember, even more important than getting them really covered in shampoo is rinsing, rinsing, rinsing. I spend much more time rinsing than I do shampooing. BTW.... www.eqyss.com

·
16,000 Posts
The shampoo wasn't heavily fragranced...part of the reason why we wanted to try something new. I guess it could be that it wasn't rinsed out that well, but I'll try some additional rinses. Is white vinegar a substitute Listerine? Will there be a lingering vinegar or Listerine stench?

No, white vinegar is not a substitute, but either can be used. Dilute either at about 3-1 water. Any odor will be rinsed away, and once dry, will be nearly unnoticeable.

·
the party's crashing us
4,242 Posts
I am sensitive to a shampoo (and soap, and bath gel, and...) ingredient called sulfur laurel sulfate or it's derivatives, abbreviated SLS. It is a chemical that breaks down the skin's natural barriers so the fragrances of the soap or shampoo "stick" on your skin. About 2 years ago I developed some sensitivity to it and now if I use a product with this stuff it makes me itch like CRAZY about 15-20 minutes after taking a shower. Now I have to use "natural" soap from the hippy store. :) Anyways, that has helped a lot.
I thought about this when reading your post. Check the shampoo for SLS, because I would imagine dogs may have the same reaction. Apparently it's pretty common in humans.
Best of luck,

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I rinsed Allee last night. We didn't have any Listerine to mix in and of course we only had a tiny amount of vinegar. So with what we had, I rinsed her for about 15 minutes. So I understand that if the shampoo dried on her it could cause an irritation, but after removing the shampoo had long does it take for her skin to recover and the itching to stop? She itched all through the night last night and woke up this morning and immediately started itching more. Hasn't stopped yet this morning.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts