Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I just was looking at Yahoo, and there is a story about 2 MI cities making Forbes most dangerous city list. No surprise, Flint (#4) and Detroit (#1) However when they have the blurbs about why each city is there, it says "Detroit - LIVONIA - Dearborn". Leave Dearborn and ESPECIALLY Livonia out of it.

Really they have to be careful because Livonia is one of the safest places in it's size in the US. We have a great police force, and very little serious crime. I don't even think Livonia has had 1 murder a year since I have been here. I can think of 2. Been here about 15 years now. The police in Livonia are visible, that makes a HUGE difference. If they were rating speed traps, Livonia would be high on that list, everyone knows you don't speed in Livonia or on the expressway through Livonia. Our police force uses un marked cars, shadow marked cars, off side marked cars as well as regular marked cars. I see them often going through my neighborhood. Makes me feel safe.

Yes we were broken into several years back, but the police were ALL over it. The following week they caught the group who robbed us. We didn't get our stuff back but they are in jail. DON'T PUT MY CITY IN THE SAME SENTENCE AS DETROIT WHEN TALKING ABOUT CRIME!!!!!

That is all.

Reactions: Karen519

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
I have known Livonia since I was little, growing up right next door in Redford Township and you are absolutely right. Livonia is a VERY stable community, an employeed community with good people and good schools. It's also a diverse community with families centered on education and service to others.

It's a real shame to paint them with the same brush as Detroit which is pretty much defined by drugs, gangs and corrupt (in the recent past) government. Livonia, as a diverse community, shows that it works and works well! And Dearborn, with Ford as the central employeer is also stable and diverse. I love the old neighborhoods in Dearborn with their neat yards and shady streets.

I can say for sure that when we go to dowtown Detroit for a ball game, we hurry through the Detroit part and not through the Dearborn/Livonia part.

·
aka Sam =)
4,971 Posts
I think even Detroit gets a worse reputation than it really deserves. Yes, they have a lot of serious crime in certain neighborhoods. But there are some AWESOME parts of Detroit that are actually pretty safe. A lot of people who don't live hear just imagine drug deals on every corner and nothing but thugs and it's SOOO far from that. And you're right...Livonia and Dearborn are on a whole different level. I don't know why they would even be mentioned on that list. I remember when Farmington Hills was voted one of the safest cities in the US...not sure what happened to bump us off that list.

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
I'd heard Flint was number one. I have no doubt in my mind about that... I take classes there right now (UofM) and it's downright scary sometimes.

Not really sure why they mentioned Dearborn and Livonia, though... like you said, they are such nice places.

·
Registered
21,093 Posts
Never been to Livonia, but there are some places in Detroit that make Chicago ghettos look luxurious and safe.

Reactions: Karen519

·
Kate
21,186 Posts
but there are some places in Detroit that make Chicago ghettos look luxurious and safe.
I have to agree with this... :uhoh:

I refuse to drive to Detroit myself, because you make the wrong turn and suddenly you are in this really bombed out area. And there are stretches where you can be going down a road and there are houses without windows or doors or anything and there are squatters living inside of them. o_O

And I'll never forget my first experience of Detroit. My dad took us down to St. Anne's (it's the 2nd oldest Catholic church in the US). It's a beautiful church and you just breathe the history walking up the aisle.

And while we were kneeling by the tomb of Father Richard, there were homeless people coming up to us kids and begging for money.

I'd never seen "actual" homeless people before then.

*** But I'll bet that the reason why they included Livonia and Dearborn (both have their iffy areas) is because the population of Detroit itself has shrunk so much. If they went just by Detroit, it probably would have ranked lower. I'll bet. ;)

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
When I go to Detroit (like for Tigers games) I feel like such a sheltered, small town girl... o_O

(Disclaimer: actually... I am a sheltered, small town girl...)

·
Kate
21,186 Posts
When I go to Detroit (like for Tigers games) I feel like such a sheltered, small town girl... o_O

(Disclaimer: actually... I am a sheltered, small town girl...)
Me too. :)

I do love going to events downtown though - I mean, hockey, football, baseball, opera, shows, COBO DOG SHOW... love it.

I just need a driver to get me safely into the city and back home again afterwards. :)

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
Me too. :)

I do love going to events downtown though - I mean, hockey, football, baseball, opera, shows, COBO DOG SHOW... love it.

I just need a driver to get me safely into the city and back home again afterwards. :)
LOL, Gary and I went to a Tigers game a few years ago with his brother, and we were gonna pick up on of his friends... he lives in a sketchy part of downtown. It wasn't too scary picking him up during the day, but dropping him off at night after was scary. We were like, "how do we get back to the highway?" He told us, and ended the conversation by going, "if you end up on Martin Luther King street, get the HECK out of there." He was dead serious.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts