Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We we opened the door to her crate this a.m. she was licking her feet and seemed a bit ashamed. Normally she bolts out of the crate all excited, but this morning she paused. When she got out she acted fine, but we saw that she had peed on her crate pad.

Today she has been acting okay, but seems to be drinking more water than usual and needing to pee more than usual. She is also licking her feet a bit more.

Bladder infection??

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I just stupidly looked it up on Google and they mentioned diabetes. Just what I needed to hear. There has been the occasional pee mistakes here and there in the not so distant past- one time when we got home from being out NOT longer than normal and one time she wet the couch after lying around with me on it. These we the odd time, very spaced out occurances in the last 2-3 months.

Sometimes she likes to drink a lot of water, but it's not constant. I also only fill her bowl low because she drinks too fast. :(

Great, now we just looked at her paw more closely as she started to limp and see that she's ripped open the pad. That is why she was licking.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Maybe spay incontinence?

·
Premium Member
18,456 Posts
It's possible she just has a urinary tract infection. Sometimes they just flare up for no reason. If you can catch a sample first thing in the morning and take it to your vet they can run a screen on it and see if she needs antibiotics.

I wouldn't worry too much.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
From what I understand, it's not unusual for incontinence to develop after a period of time--it appears it's related to the reduced production of hormones. I think it's worth a visit to the vet, and maybe try to treat her like a puppy during the interim before you go for the appointment--that is, withhold water and other liquids after 7, 8 pm, see if that helps for the time being.

She could have torn her paw trying to get out the crate do you think, trying to get away from the area she soiled herself? Or she could be stressing, and licked her paw so it's raw and it easily ripped. So hard to say. The instance of leaving the small piddle on the couch after laying with you does sound like incontinence though, but I think only your vet can know for sure.

·
Registered
16,316 Posts
I agree it could be a UTI, try to get a sample in the morning..I used a little cup with lid and sterilized it in a bit of bleach, the cup that is..lol

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I've used a large lid or a pie tin and slid it under the female (who I had leashed) as she was going potty, it took a couple of tries along with some perplexed looks from my foster, I would then transfer it to a travel safe cup.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
A frisbee or a soup ladle that you can throw away have worked for a friend of mine.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
good luck with catching pee.I tried ones and Honey looked on me like :MOM,are you crazy!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts