Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I woke up with a migraine this morning but fought it off with meds and went into work. 4:00 rolls around and it tried to come back so I took two Excedrin and threw the almost empty bottle into my tote bag to refill at home.

Once home I put the bag down in the office as I normally do and went to go talk with DS in the living room. Sienna comes trotting out and drops something on the wood floor. I almost thought something just fell over from the kitchen table, but she quickly grabbed it and hid. I went to investigate and found the EXCEDRIN BOTTLE IN HER MOUTH!!! YIKES!!!! :doh: It has a safety lid on it but that barely works!

If I hadn't caught her and she had broken the container chewing, I don't even know! I'm a bit freaked out!!

At two years old I'm getting a little tired of this!!

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
WOW Lucky she didnt get in to that Im sure. Do they ever stop getting into things???

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Thank goodness she didnt get the lid off. I dont know if they ever out grow it. I had a dog that was 6 and she would grab things she shouldnt. Luckily I always got it back before something happened.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
they do try to keep us organized - - without dogs I wouldn't worry what I left laying around. My jacket pockets are the danger area now since I'll carry treats when we walk -- Bridge is always snarfing in pockets (in the past I would sometimes have an Excedrin or 2 loose in pocket -- Excedrin dependency here)

·
Premium Member
16,405 Posts
I love your sig photo with the two tennis balls stuffed in her mouth; you can just tell she's constant retriever/in-your-mouth doggy. I just don't know what motivates them sometimes. She had to stick her curious snout in your bag, snuffle around, select the Exedrin, then parade it out to you, drop it,pick it back up and go hide. . . Why? It cant smell or taste that good???? These are the questions I ask myself when Tango steals a half full poland spring water bottle from a complete stranger's gym bag. . .

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Rusty will be 3 Friday.. and will do this every chance he gets.. He has learned to be sneaky. I am so glad all went well for you. I hang my purse on a coat hook near the door. I also have to hang all of the diaper bags or visitors' purses up on those hooks.. or he will sneak out clothing or cell phones and stash it in his crate! Some things he will even hide under pillows! :doh:

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I love your sig photo with the two tennis balls stuffed in her mouth; you can just tell she's constant retriever/in-your-mouth doggy. I just don't know what motivates them sometimes. She had to stick her curious snout in your bag, snuffle around, select the Exedrin, then parade it out to you, drop it,pick it back up and go hide. . . Why? It cant smell or taste that good???? These are the questions I ask myself when Tango steals a half full poland spring water bottle from a complete stranger's gym bag. . .
Snuffle- don't you just love that word? :p: It says so much. Thanks for the thoughts everyone, and yes, she does always see to have to have something in her mouth!! She goes on a HUNT in the mornings to see what she can grab. I guess I need to find a new place to put my bag!

Thanks, that picture does epitomize Sienna ;)... the posts scare me though LOL.... I'm always so afraid something will drop and I won't know. Then again, I guess I should be THANKFUL she still uses it like a "see what I've got" game! :doh:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Buddy is famous for this! The worst is when I walk him the morning of garbage collection days because without fail he will always find a dirty tissue, paper towel, or some piece of trash to put in his mouth that I have to wrestle away.

I like to scrapbook and I have a table in the basement where I keep all my supplies. My husband was down there getting some tools and Buddy followed him. The next thing I know I see Buddy prancing into the living room with my exacto knife in his mouth. Thankfully he was holding it on the other end but I nearly died when I saw it.

In a similiar story, my parents pomeranian (killian) got a hold of my sisters benadryl. My sister couldn't seem to find the benadryl or the dog either. She looked under a chair where Killian likes to sleep sometimes and found a drugged up dog. Apparently Killain had gotten a hold of a packet and chewed through at least 6. She was pretty lethargic for a few days but thankfully bounced back.

If only our canine pals could understand how dangerous their explorations can be!

Glad your pup is ok!

331 Posts
Miles got a hold of a full pack of Birth Control Pills one day. Ate the whole thing, plastic and all!
We rushed him to the Vet where they gave him some stuff to make him hack it all up. It's a good story now, but it gave me quite a scare then!

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
Glad she's ok. Ike loves plastic bottles too. Luckily, he only pics up the ones we put in the recycle bin. Your story reminds me of an episode of Emergency Vets. A Golden had gotten into it's owner's plastic bag full of various pain meds and shared them with another dog in the apartment. They both had their stomachs pumped.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Glad she's ok. Ike loves plastic bottles too. Luckily, he only pics up the ones we put in the recycle bin. Your story reminds me of an episode of Emergency Vets. A Golden had gotten into it's owner's plastic bag full of various pain meds and shared them with another dog in the apartment. They both had their stomachs pumped.
I remember seeing that episode.

This winter has been a LONG, COLD one, and Brady has been chewing everything in sight because of it. I am constantly trading him for one of his bones.

His new thing, is when he finds something he is not supposed to have, he shows me first and then runs with it - so I know it is a game to him. My kids are gradually losing their stuffed animals!!

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Our Goldens will always be like 2 yr old children. That's why I got one :D , she fills the need for a little child that even a 40 something can still have LOL!

I'm so glad she was smart enough to come and show you her new toy/prize! That's more than what a 2 year old child would do.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Miles got a hold of a full pack of Birth Control Pills one day. Ate the whole thing, plastic and all!
We rushed him to the Vet where they gave him some stuff to make him hack it all up. It's a good story now, but it gave me quite a scare then!
This reminded me of a funny (funny now) story that happened to me with my non-furry child when he was just crawling... in my lack of sleep state of young mothers, I dropped one of my birth control pills and couldn't find it. DS was crawling around in that very area and I called my doctor, totally paranoid that he would ingest it. My doc was so laid back- his answer: "Well... if he did, at least he won't get pregnant!!":doh::p: Even I got a good laugh out of that one!!

His new thing, is when he finds something he is not supposed to have, he shows me first and then runs with it - so I know it is a game to him. My kids are gradually losing their stuffed animals!!
This IS Sienna- always a game of what can she grab.

·
Premium Member
16,405 Posts
Miles! That is a first for me. Of all the crazy things i've heard about dogs eating, never before have birth control pills come up. It makes a funny remember when story, for sure.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Mine are particularly intrigued by the bathroom trash. The bathroom door is always kept shut.. but the few times I may leave it open a crack, the house is suddenly quiet and I go "dogs? where are you?" and without fail they both come out of the direction of the bathroom with anything from a ball of kleenex to a used q-tip in their mouths. :rolleyes:

·
Social Therapy Dog
613 Posts
Yup, yup Amber is the same way but luckily does not chew on things she finds nor eats them. She just likes the game where as many other shave stated, she'll show you what she has and then want you to catch her. Theres times she'll have my sock in her moouth and if you cant see it(ankle socks), and I'll ask her "what do you want?" she'll shuffle the item/sock in her mouth so part is sticking out and then come towards you until you make a move for her then she runs. I swear she smiles when she does this lol. I take a very strong pain med for the last 15 years due to neurological issues in my legs and I always always always require the child safety caps on them due to this. She loves to surf through my work bag(soft sides brief case) usually while I am at work. I've had to make sure every bag I buy has zipper pockets. Theres times while she is at work with me and I'm doing a session where the client is speaking and not paying attention to Amber, she'll go lay under my desk or on the side of the couch by herself and usually she tries to get into my bag to the point of figuring out how to open the LARGE main zipper with her front teeth now! lol. I haven't heard of other breeds having this pension for getting into bags and such and then playing this game with their handlers. ANyone else ever have or known of other breeds to do this?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts