Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Old Guy
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I began to realize the other day that Sidney has actually created his own style of retrieving, where my wife and I have been trained by him to go along with it. Our Sidney will drop the ball in our general vicinity (usually about 9-12feet away) and then run like the dickens... about 100 to 200 feet out he will turn around and either try to hide in the grass (laying down completely flat in the lawn... well, except for a furiously wagging tail) or behind a bush or a hill with just a nose and pair of eyes peeking out. The look on his face is just hilarious... he is soooo serious. We use a "Chuck-it!" to throw the ball 150+feet and beyond with bouncing and Sidney "the out-fielder" will time the bounces just right and 'snap' the ball in his jaws. We usually try to get it past him by throwing the tennis ball ~50feet either to the left or the right of him... but rarely can we get it past him.

On occassion I will make him fetch in the 'normal' fashion... I make him "Sit", "Release" the ball, then "Stay", then I will 'Chuck' the ball first and then tell him "Go fetch!"... he will play along to make me happy but you can tell he really doesn't have his heart in it. So the next time he will drop the ball several feet away and start to quickly dash off to 'set-up' for his style of retrieving... at this point I can either call him back to "Give" me the ball, which he will reluctantly do, or I can just get the ball myself by which time Sidney is already 'set-up' for the 'pitch'. Mostly we just give in to his way of retrieving. He will do this at the lake too... he just runs down the shore and 'hides' either behind a sanddune or 20-30feet out in the water. I'll try and get a picture of this and post it... its a real 'hoot'.

Anyone else have a dog that does this??? or another bizarre retrieving style?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Oh my goodness, i could picture one of ours doing that, and i got totally cracked up! HEHE! That is great, as long as i have known Goldens ive never seen one do that, but i wish i had! How funny, cute story! :p

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol: :dblthumb2 - Way to go Sidney!!!!!! Train those owners!!!!!!!!!!!! hahaha

Sounds like a real hoot to watch Monomer! Funny how we don't mind doing things like that with them if they make us "belly laugh". They're the "BEST"!!

·
Old Guy
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, now that I know how to put a picture into a post, I've gone out and taken several pictures of Sidney in the backyard playing fetch "his way"... however taking these pictures was very difficult to do... I had to hold the camera in one hand and Chuck the ball with the other. Also I had to use the zoom maxed-out and everything else set to auto... unfortunately most of the pictures were badly over-exposed because the lighting conditions were just too tricky for the auto eye (very bright sunshine where the dog is and really dark shadow in the foreground where me and the camera aere). They were beyond 'digital fixing'. I will try again at another time to get something a little better.

There's a picture of Sidney quickly running out to get 'set-up'... and a couple of him 'hiding' in the grass... a mid-air catch... and snagging one on the bounce.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts