Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I need some advice about our sick baby girl. Here's the basics:
Terra is 7 1/2 months old now and she continues to go through cycles of diaherrea and vomitting about every week or two. That's right, she'll get better, act normal and poop solid, for a while and then all the sudden we come home and she's gone diahrea everywhere again. Once she does, the diarrhea comes until she is completely empty. Oddly though she ussually doen't act very lethargic and actually wants to play. We have gone through many tests at the vet including fecals, bloodwork, and x-rays but, everytime they say she appears normal. We have taken her to two different vets to make sure that wasn't the issue but, still haven't gotten any real answers. We have had her on a prescription diet (Royal Canin Intestinal HE wet can food) for a while now also and it seems to help.

Well, she had been good for about two weeks until we came home from work last night and she had gone everywhere again. This time she is very lethargic though. Even today (this morning before work and twice during the day that I visited her) she was very slow. She has her front left leg tucked up as if she can't walk on it and is barely limping around if moving at all. It's like she's got some real muscle or joint pains along with it this time. I'm waiting for the vet to call back again

Has anyone experienced this type of stuff? We are really sad, not to mention broke, and we still feel like we're at square 1! Thank you for any thoughts or advice you can provide.
-Gary and Jamie

·
16,000 Posts
I'm sorry you are having to go through this, and the poor puppy...
I'd want an ultrasound, looking closely at the liver and kidneys for a shunt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are shunts common or something that the vet(s) should have already been looking for? I've never heard of it but, will definately bring it up. Thanks for your help,

·
Registered
10,557 Posts
You might also be looking at two unrelated issues. I'm not sure where you are located, but tick borne disease (TBD) comes to my mind as well.

Liver shunts can be tricky-I had a pup with one once. I have never had to deal with a kidney shunt.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about Terra. Keep us posted on what the vet says.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Poor girl! You've probably already ruled this out, but could she possibly be getting into something and eating something she shouldn't? I ask because my in laws little miniature pincher used to get into the trash and she would have the worst diarrhea all over their house.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Wow- poor baby. Since your vet has done so much to try to rule things out- lets go back to basics. Is there any chance she is eating too much or eating too fast? How many times a day do you feed her? For example if you only feed her twice a day, can you braek the same amount but into 4 meals? I had to do that with two of mine. Keep them on smaller meals but more frequently. ( we did 3 meals but were prepared to do 4 but it worked) and suddenly it stopped.
Another suggestion would be maybe flagyl but I would bet your vet already tried that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts