Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Clare--Watney's mom
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watney just turned 5 months. Saturday night she had to go out multiple times and it became apparent she had diarrhea (pretty dark out!). She had also defecated in the kitchen at some point during the night. Sunday morning I gave her rice and boiled hamburg and she was drinking normally and peeing normally, but did not poop until late evening. She was doing so well later in the the day we went back to her regular kibble, Candidae, and her poop was loose but somewhat formed. Then at 12:30 last night, she had got up with her breath smelling like bile somewhat, and ran downstairs and after a few moments rang her bells to go out. I got her out and she peed but subsequently realized she pooped in the living room. This isn't so much liquid, looks like puddles of poop, no sign of blood. Still drinking a lot. Slept a lot yesterday and is passed out right now.

Should I keep her on a bland diet and forget her kibble, take her to a vet, try and get a stool sample? This came out of the blue and she has never been sick. She had obedience class Friday night with lots of treats and other dogs but it was a quiet weekend, no other interaction with dogs, walks were really monitored. I am totally confused.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Softball

Softball

I didn't get to read your whole msg., but GET HER TO VET ASAP, To make sure she doesn't have parvo!!
Parvo is deadly!
Take stook sample with you to vet.

·
Clare--Watney's mom
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the stool sample! I got it sitting in the garage and will get it to the vet this afternoon-called them but they did not seem to feel an emergent need to see her. Wanted her on a completely bland diet though so will be picking up some dry ID from them this afternoon.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would watch out for the treats as well as taking her to the vet. If you need treats for class you can drop small amounts of id in a baking dish at 350 watch for it to get crispy bag and refridgerate for class. My girl had on again off again stomach upsets and tests were all ok, so I switched her food to Hills Science diet large breed puppy mixed with pro plan sensitive skin and stomach.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
How is your girl doing? Hope they call you soon with the stool results. Hopefully it will turn out to be something she ate and over this quickly.

Reactions: softballmom

·
Clare--Watney's mom
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Deber-
Well she started on the Hills ID last night and drank A TON of water but peed before bed and it was a quiet night. Got up at 6, she went right outside and peed and pooped and it was the biggest one I have ever seen come out of her-much firmer except a little at the end. I fed her and just walked in the kitchen and found a little pile of poop that she must have just released after eating, much looser. Poor thing, still must have stomach issues. I hope I hear from the vet relatively soon....

·
Registered
639 Posts
When they get diarrhea and need the bland diet you usually need to keep them on the diet for a few days and then gradually introduced their regular food.

Hope she's better soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts