Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
14,259 Posts
I also recommend the Forti Flora - it has worked wonders for my girl's gut after bouts of diarrhea. And she is actually on a short course of it right now after a bad vomiting bout (14 times in two hours, and then once more at the ER vet). She was given cerenia and fluids by IV, then I got to take her home with omeprazole (an antacid) and Forti Flora. I didn't even realize it was useful after vomiting - she is on one called Forti Flora SA (synbiotic action), which is a pre and probiotic together.

If she had not stopped the vomiting with the cerenia, their next move would have been full blood and x-rays. They were worried with that much vomiting that she could rupture her stomach or aspirate. Had she continued vomiting and those tests showed nothing, they would have done an ultrasound of her belly. (I'm only relaying this to give an idea of what my vets were doing in response to unexplained vomiting as a comparison). I was told to feed very small amounts of white rice (like a couple of tablespoons to start) four times a day for a few days, and then if she kept that down, to start mixing in small amounts of kibble (again, like tablespoons to start).

My dog never had a fever with this - does your dog get a fever every time this happens? That would be a key thing to know. It does sound like a really difficult situation. Getting to one of the vet schools may be a good idea at this point. I really hope they can help you figure out what's going on.

· Registered
14,259 Posts
We spent the whole week with my family, he was on cerenia and was totally normal (lively, playful, happy). However when we got home last night and entered our house, he immediately started lick lipping/gagging and showing signs of nausea which he hadn't done all week. Maybe just remembering he kept getting sick here?
Was he still on the cerenia when you got home and he got nauseous again?

· Registered
14,259 Posts
Yes, he was. He didn’t actually throw up though – just lick lipping, head bobbing, gagging. Also, we were in the car like 10 hours so perhaps that was a factor.
Was he doing it in the car? Motion sickness generally eases when you get out of the moving vehicle. If it only started when he got into the house, I'd be less inclined to think it was car sickness.

The fact that he was exhibiting the behaviour when you got home but didn't vomit (presumably because of the cerenia) is making me wonder if there is something that is triggering it at your house. Could there be mold lurking anywhere? Or do you use any chemicals on your lawn? Is there a reason he would be nervous there? Does he get yelled at? Is there another pet that bullies him or makes him nervous? Is there a baby in your home whose cries might upset him? (I'm truly grasping at anything). Anything at all you can think of? Does it happen at certain times of the day?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts