Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4 year old golden retreiver name Sydney, I came home from work today and i called her, she wouldn't come...found her under my kitchen table. She got out from underneith, crying the whole time. She is having trouble going up the stairs but not down, and having trouble getting into my car (1ft off the ground) I don't think there are any broken bones, but i do think she may have gotten up too fast and hurt herself or fallen down my stairs. Should I take her to my vet (which is two hours away from me) tomorrow, or should i give it a couple days and take her on monday? Please give me ur opinions.
Thanks

·
Registered
255 Posts
I would get her to the vet ASAP - it sounds like she is hurting all over? It just doesn't sound right - IMO, I would get her there ASAP. I hope everything turns out okay.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I'm sorry she is having trouble - how scary. Frankly, I'd take her to the vet ASAP.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I would definitely not feel comfortable waiting even a day. Make the drive and get to the vet ASAP.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Geezus, that would be an ER visit if it were any of my pets. I can't imagine waiting overnight after the scene you describe in the kitchen. Hopefully? What if she isn't, what then? I hope for your doggys sake it's nothing serious but truthfully, it really could be. It sounds like it is actually. I hope that I'm wrong. :(

·
Premium Member
18,458 Posts
Dogs are stoic and hide pain, if she is crying she is in substantial pain, I wouldn't wait to see the vet.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I would get her to the vet tonight. Do you have an emergency vet that you can take her to? Goldens are so stoic that if she crys in pain then it means something is wrong.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
I would be concerned. At a minimum she needs pain relief. If she was mine and I noticed this late at night, and she was otherwise normal (eating, drinking, going to the bathroom, able to control bowel and bladder, and able to at least get around), I would give her a rimadyl and go to the vet first thing tomorrow morning. I feel if she is yelping constantly, whining, pacing, shaking, panting or yawning excessively, her rear is shaking, or she has lost control of her bowel, bladder, and/or cannot walk, then you need to go the emergency vet NOW.

JMO

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
My first thought was bloat - and if I am correct, and you wait until tomorrow morning - you might lose her :( I do hope I am wrong, but I feel it is better to be safe than sorry!

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I wonder if possibly she has done something to one of the disc's in her back. It sounds the way she is acting, very much like my little Doxie has if she is having issues with her back. Do you have anything for pain for her? If she is crying out, she is hurting badly, and I would get her to the Vet ASAP, and find out what is going on with her.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
It may be something as simple as impacted anal sacs. My GSD acted like that when hers were badly impacted. She acted as if she broke her back. Very uncomfortable, and even once they were cleaned, she was still in discomfort for about 24 hours. I believe they can rupture.

I would take her as soon as possible.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
I happen to know that this person was online when I posted and when mylissy posted. I find it very disturbing that as of this morning, the OP still hasn't posted!! I know that somehow there are people out there who do not love their dogs and take the serious nature of their responsibility like many of us here do but it's so hard to see. I hope that this person did take the dog to the ER vet and if so, good for you - IMO it was the right thing to do. I really truly feel that when we take on a living, breathing, feeling, and loving creature into our home, it is our sincerest honor and duty to take the best care of them that we can. If you don't have a lot of money - work that out later. You don't let your dog or cat down for any reason when it is undoubtedly in their best interests to see the vet as soon as humanly possible.

Please take the time to update on your four year old as so many of us are now concerned. I hope you already took her to the vet and if you didn't, that as soon as you wake up you get her into the car and take her. I will never understand denying medical care to save a few dollars, especially, when a lot of times - waiting makes things worse and you end up putting your pet through unneccessary pain and you end up spending a lot more money.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts