Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out today that one of Bailey's siblings has severe hip dysplasia on one hip!:(
We haven't noticed anything wrong with Bailey so far, she's getting up fast without any popping noise, she loves to run and play fetch and she climbs up the couch without any problems.
How common is it to have just one dog in a litter to get it and not the others?

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I really don't know the answer to your question. It is certainly something you want to keep an eye out for and perhaps do some research on joint supplements.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We give Bailey since she's 4 months old Glucosamine/Chondroitin 250mg daily and she gets salmon oil once daily.
I restrict her walking on our stairs, so she only goes upstairs at night and one time downstairs in the morning.
We go on daily walks (unfortunately most of the time on concrete - as we don't really have other areas around the neighborhood).
Is there anything else we can do?

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I dunno... Flora most likely has HD, but as far as I know none of her littermates nor any of the other Dichi pups on here have it, so it's probably just a fluke. I'd maybe get Bailey X-rayed when she's around 2 to see what's what, but I wouldn't be too concerned.

How did you come about this information, if I could ask?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have email contact with some other owners of the same litter.
We will just watch for signs and if there are any concerns we will do Xrays.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Personally I'd do x-rays ASAP if Bailey was my pup. There are a lot more options for treating hip dysplasia when it's found early on.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
It all depends on the breeding. Even the best breedings can produce the occasional bad hip, and especially if it's unilateral, it could be the result of an injury or a birth defect, not genetics.

If the vertical pedigree was full of Good and Excellent OFA ratings (or comparable PennHIP info) and the dog has no symptoms of HD, I wouldn't be particularly concerned nor put a young dog through a sedative just to see hip x-rays.

If, however, she was getting spayed soon or would otherwise be under anyway, I would definitely get the radiograph. How old is she? I'm getting OFA certs on my boys after 2 when they're neutered. Even though they're not going to be bred, I want my breeder to have the vertical pedigree information for future generations, and I do at some point want to make sure my guys' hips are going to hold up for an active 15+ year life.

It's too easy to drive yourself crazy looking for problems, and there's no reason to expose a young dog to a sedative and radiation of there's no reason to think she actually has a problem. That's the way I'd do it. I know some people feel the peace of mind is worth the small risk of the procedure.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
I'd have pre-lims taken for OFA to get a good idea. This is just my personal opinion. I'd like to know what I'm dealing with and what to expect. I don't like the "unknown." For the relative cost of the rads, I think it would be worth it.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
The best of parents unfortunately can produce a dyplastic pup. Your odds are just much better if one does their homework on the genetic history. How old is Bailey now? Just my opinion and I have an HD dog, is when your pup is 2, go ahead and have x-rays done. I wouldn't before hand unless you are worried. You can at that time submit them to OFA if you choose. You would need the pics done by and OFA certified vet.

Here is my thinking. If you do not see any other issues, wait and have them done 1) for piece of mind, and 2) you can submit to OFA and let others know about siblings of these parents. For future puppy buyers to research.

My Teddi is a genetic mess, but I love her to pieces. Unfortunately the type of people who are going to buy from her breeder would never do the research. I still plan someday to put Teddi on K9 data so just in case....However our new lab pup is out of good parents. If we can afford to, I plan to do the "main" clearances on her so that we can show other buyers what her parents produced. That is BIG in the puppy search.

I wouldn't panic un necessarily. It sounds like you are being a good dog owner and taking good care of your pup.

Ann

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
If I were you I would probably get the xray done in the next couple of months. I've heard that HD doesn't always have "signs" like you would expect. In fact, our breeder has a male who finished his champion very quickly, has a beautiful gait and when she went to get his hips done discovered he has moderate HD. (She is obviously not breeding him, in case anyone was wondering.) He gave no indication of HD - and apparently he still doesn't have any symptoms of it. If it were me I'd like to know what I was dealing with and would probably get the prelims done just so I had all the information.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts