Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Sibling puppies - meet up or not?

675 Views 5 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  inge
My brother and I are both having male puppies from the same litter. :)
Does anyone have any advice on how we handle this?

Should we let them meet up a lot in the first few weeks after we bring them home so that they feel reassured and keep their bond?

Or should we keep them away from each other to begin with so they get used to being an 'only dog' and learn who their proper family is?

I guess eventually they will probably only see each other once a month or so, so we don't want to confuse them or make the break from mum any harder than it needs to be.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
My friend and I got littermates and we not only did puppy kindergarten class together weekly but we got them together for playdates quite a bit when they were younger and until she moved away last year. I see nothing wrong with it.. they really enjoyed playing, always seemed to remember eachother when they "hung out" and my friend and I got to hang out together and tire our puppies out.. it was a great thing lol

Neither her dog nor mine had any problems bonding with us because of their weekly play times.
My brother-in-law and we had littermates. They really enjoyed seeing and playing with each other. He lived a couple blocks away, so whenever his dog got loose, he knew he was at my house.

I swear there was also a very special bond between us and his dog, and my dog and him.

Another very interesting thing, even though they were litter mates, our dogs personalities were like night and day.
Hank and his brother always have a ball when they get together. After this roll in the dirt they both had a bath in the wading pool. Hank knows what it means when I say "Here comes your brother". I think it's great. They've seen each other weekly since day 1.
We haven't had any bonding issues, Sergeant had a GSD "brother" at his house, Hank is an only dog.

Attachments

See less See more
Hank and his brother always have a ball when they get together. After this roll in the dirt they both had a bath in the wading pool. Hank knows what it means when I say "Here comes your brother". I think it's great. They've seen each other weekly since day 1.
We haven't had any bonding issues, Sergeant had a GSD "brother" at his house, Hank is an only dog.

OMG!!!!!! I had to laugh when I saw this mud puppy photo!!!!!!!!!!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.