Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Can anyone recommend a reputable breeder for a show line golden in the NJ, NY, PA (I’ll even consider MI since I visit a few times a year) area. Like the attached pictures. I do plan on reach and it to a local club but I want to see if anyone here could share their experience.

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Can you clarify what you are looking for? Do you want a dog you can show and breed? Or just some leads to reputable breeders (defined here as someone who follows the GRCA Code of Ethics, does appropriate clearances on their breeding stock, shows their dogs in conformation shows and/or works their dogs in another venue - such as obedience or hunt trials)?

If the latter, then while you wait for responses from folks, you may want to take a look around the forum for old threads and pinned files (especially in the "finding a good puppy/breeder" section). There is TONS of good information about what makes a good breeder and how to find and work with one. You can also use the search function to search on things like "reputable breeders in NJ" to get you started.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum! Can you clarify what you are looking for? Do you want a dog you can show and breed? Or just some leads to reputable breeders (defined here as someone who follows the GRCA Code of Ethics, does appropriate clearances on their breeding stock, shows their dogs in conformation shows and/or works their dogs in another venue - such as obedience or hunt trials)?

If the latter, then while you wait for responses from folks, you may want to take a look around the forum for old threads and pinned files (especially in the "finding a good puppy/breeder" section). There is TONS of good information about what makes a good breeder and how to find and work with one. You can also use the search function to search on things like "reputable breeders in NJ" to get you started.
I don’t want to breed or show the dog, just reputable breeder. I already have a field type golden and would like to add another golden (preferably more stocky looking) to our family so he isn’t lonely. Thank you! I will look into it.

·
Premium Member
1,486 Posts

·
Super Moderator
631 Posts
Be wary there is a concentration of puppy mills in PA, but there are definitely several reputable breeders in those states that breed "conformation" type golden retrievers. You won't find the type you are looking for from puppy mills or backyard breeders. Your best best is to find a reputable hobby breeder who breeds according to the breed standard and follows the code of ethics. On this forum in the search bar, type in " (state) breeders" and you should get results of threads where breeders in these states have been discussed.

Welcome!

·
Kate
20,724 Posts
I think the first thing that randomly goes through my brain is check with Jill @Ljilly28 . Do not think she personally has pups right now and Maine is off the beaten trail for you probably, but she might know of some litters out your way. More specifically - her Mystic has been used a lot by breeders all over the country. I've seen a few shown over here in MI and they are very typey and look a lot like their dad. :)

Another breeder that is closer to you (probably) would be Captivate Goldens down in Maryland.

MI might have a few breeders with pups either on the way or "on the ground". I can think of maybe 3 that definitely have puppies, but may be all spoken for. Would suggest checking with FDGRC for referrals.

Would say your best bet is going through the breed referrals.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would definitely find an AKC breeder of merit. You may want to expand your search nationwide. There are a lot of good breeders in the South. We got our pup in Florida and would be happy to give more info! The breeder we use just won the AKC National Championship with Gus’s half brother, and their dogs are stunning. He is also young, so he is still going to fill out and get more feathering! 1579833428737.jpeg 1579833499732.jpeg

·
Registered
10,479 Posts

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
You may want to check out with Jennifer K/Shilo goldens in Ohio or Sheri/Infinite Goldens in PA. Both have litters on the ground that may have availability. Either litter would give you what your looking for.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You may want to check out with Jennifer K/Shilo goldens in Ohio or Sheri/Infinite Goldens in PA. Both have litters on the ground that may have availability. Either litter would give you what your looking for.
Tried contacting both the breeders, Shilo Goldens litter looks good in terms of certification but we were too late. Any other pointers will be of great help. Unable to get a puppy from a good reliable breeder.

Emailed some GR clubs and Breeders that Jennifer was kind enough to refer. The search continues.....

·
Registered
220 Posts
Just to set some realistic expectations... Getting a pup from a reputable breeder is often a six month to two+ year process. It's fairly uncommon (though not impossible) to find a reputable breeder who doesn't have homes lined up before she even breeds dam to sire. If time, or timing, is a factor for you, you will have to ask yourself if it is worth compromising in other areas (like health, or breeder support). Your best bet is to find the breeder or breeders (hopefully only 2-3) that you want to work with and get on their list to at least be kept informed of their breeding plans. Someone might not have puppies now, but may be planning to breed for, say, a late fall 2020 or early spring 2021 litter. Or, if you join their Facebook page or establish some sort of relationship with the breeder, you may hear that they know of a fellow breeder who has available pups. Or that breeder might THINK she's got homes for all her pups, only to find someone backs out at the last minute, or all her puppy people wanted boys and the litter was all girls... If you are willing to consider an adult dog, let the breeder know. It's not uncommon for an adult to be returned to the breeder due to something like a divorce or other change in circumstances, or for a breeder to hold on to a promising puppy that doesn't grow into its potential as a show or breeding dog (but which would make an amazing pet).

So... Go to local breed shows and see who is there (pick up a show catalog to get the names of the dogs' owners/breeders). Continue to look around the forum for leads. Contact the breeders we've recommended here. If they don't have available pups, ask what their future breeding plans are. If they're not planning anything that will work for you, ask if they can recommend other breeders (some are tough to find if they don't have a website and place pups by word of mouth). Be patient but persistent - be aware that good breeders are often inundated with calls/contacts from folks who are looking for puppies. Make yourself stand out from the masses by not sending emails of the "Do you have any puppies? How much?" variety (those are rarely answered). I believe there are several threads in the forum about how to increase your chances of getting a response from breeders... it can be something of an art involving balancing giving enough information to make you stand out as a good home, and writing so much in an initial contact that the breeder decides you'll be too much hassle to deal with.

It's definitely a time consuming process, but I know there are many on the forum who came here with questions such as yours and who were discouraged by advice such as I've given... but who took it to heart and now have the dog of their dreams.

Just a reminder... we really don't mind helping here. If you find a breeder on your own that you want to pass by us... feel free (but be prepared for honest answers!). If you find a particular breeding you are interested in, post the registered names of the dam and sire and we can research that for red flags too.

Good luck with the hunt!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Tried contacting both the breeders, Shilo Goldens litter looks good in terms of certification but we were too late. Any other pointers will be of great help. Unable to get a puppy from a good reliable breeder.

Emailed some GR clubs and Breeders that Jennifer was kind enough to refer. The search continues.....
I’m sure you will hear from Sheri eventually. She’s a busy lady! Just sent home 7 puppies this past weekend!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts