Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Winston is 4 months old tomorrow and eats like a horse. He is pretty large compared to our other golden, Cooper (he is over a year and only 65 lbs). Winston weighs in at 40 lbs already.

We have Winston on Purina Sensitive Skin and Stomach as per our breeder's recommendation. Right now, he eats 1 cup 3 times a day but always acts hungry. The breeder recommended we bring him down to 1 cup 2 times a day at 4 months but this seems like not very much food for such a young pup.

Just wondering if others think we should keep him at 3 cups for a while longer?

Thanks!

Haley

PS..thought I would attach a few pics of my handsome boy :)

Attachments

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
It is always hard to tell without being able to touch the dog. You should be able to easily feel the ribs but not see any sign of them. Hope that helps.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
3 cups doesn't seem too much at his age, but it really depends on how many calories per cup. My Hank weighed 40 lbs. at 4.5 months and he's not overly large. He's at around 60 lbs. at 7 months. Hank eats 3 cups/day of Innova LBP (367 kcal./cup)

Do his ribs have a small layer of fat? Can you feel his ribs as you rub your hand down his side?

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Very hard to say without touching Winston but your food is dense in calories (419 ME/cup). If you decide to reduce I would start by reducing by 1/2 cup so he could still have a 1/2 cup snack/third meal.

Also, are you sure the cups you use are actual cups. I had to have my Lab loose a bit of weight prior to a CCL surgery and used to use the scoop that came in the Vitavault food container. That scoop contained way more than a cup so I switched to a regular kitchen measuring cup and she still was able to get the same number of "cups" but it made less food.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. You can feel his ribs easily and he has a nice trim waist. I feel that reducing his food might not be good right now. We are conflicted because the breeder says to reduce at 4 months and our vet said we should probably increase his food while he's still growing.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
... We are conflicted because the breeder says to reduce at 4 months and our vet said we should probably increase his food while he's still growing.
That's when you go with your gut. ;)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Problem solved! I contacted the breeder just to be sure and I was misreading her info packet she gave us. She says to consider reducing to 2 meals a day around 4 months but didnt say anything about portion size so I assumed since we were feeding 1 cup three times a day she meant reduce to 1 cup twice a day..my mistake! She said he should be getting more food at each serving during this period and we could even go as high as 4 cups a day if he is not putting on a lot of weight.

So we will up his food to 4 cups (or even a little more) a day until he has reached maturity.

Thanks for the advice!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts