Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Our vet recommended we give a monthly dose of Sentinel to our 13-week puppy for preventative care. We live in Seattle and cases of heartworm in this region are low, as are ticks/mosquitos. However, being in a city with a high dog population, fleas are not uncommon. We also intend to hike and swim with her quite a bit, so she'll likely encounter mosquitos, although our mosquitos aren't nearly as bad as they are in the Midwest or East Coast. We're on the fence about whether Sentinel is the right medication for her, or if we should consider other options. Recommendations are welcome. Thank you!

·
Kate
21,767 Posts
I would say she's too young for Sentinel. The dosage starts at 50#. You need to do heartguard until she gets up in weight.

^^^ that may be based on what my own vet keeps in stock. But it's why my guys normally get heartguard until they are about 5-6 months old.

Heartguard is good for keeping her from getting worms and other internal parasites. If you live in the city and will be walking her around spots where she could come in contact with the feces or whatever from infected dogs, this is a big deal. It's not just heartworm.

·
Registered
13,135 Posts
I used Sentinel with my last dog for heartworm and flea prevention. It worked great. But ticks were not an issue where we were.

So, if you are going to have to add a tick prevention, you might want to do Heartgard for heartworm and add something for ticks and fleas (many of the tick prevention has flea prevention, too, and you don't want to double up on flea prevention). I think Interceptor is also only heartworm, and then you add the tick/flea.

But for all - you want to make sure they are safe for puppies.

·
bodhigolden on Instagram
225 Posts
Our puppy's been on Sentinel since he was 7 and a half weeks old. He gobbles it up, and has never had side effects from it. We are also in Seattle and know a few other owners who give Sentinel every month, everyone is happy with it.

·
Ingrid, Now Mom to Brisby
1,111 Posts
Hello! Our vet recommended we give a monthly dose of Sentinel to our 13-week puppy for preventative care. We live in Seattle and cases of heartworm in this region are low, as are ticks/mosquitos. However, being in a city with a high dog population, fleas are not uncommon. We also intend to hike and swim with her quite a bit, so she'll likely encounter mosquitos, although our mosquitos aren't nearly as bad as they are in the Midwest or East Coast. We're on the fence about whether Sentinel is the right medication for her, or if we should consider other options. Recommendations are welcome. Thank you!
My recommendation is a strong NO. First, because your pup is so young and secondly since you live in a low risk area, IMHO there are many other natural things you may consider to use as protection vs chemical pesticides.

Sentinel works via 2 chemicals: Lufenuron and Milbemycin, both which need to be in a dog's blood stream
Key Ingredients in Sentinel for Dogs

Sentinel contains lufenuron and milbemycin oxime. The active ingredients enter the dog's pores and are stored in the fat cells. When a parasite ingests blood, they receive a dose of the medications that alter their health, leading to death.
Lufenuron prevents larvae from forming an exoskeleton. Without this exoskeleton, the fleas cannot mature into adults and lay more eggs to continue the life cycle.

Milbemycin opens specific channels within the parasite's neurons. This causes the cells of the central nervous system to function improperly. As a result, the cells die and paralysis occurs, eventually leading to death.

https://www.vetinfo.com/side-effects-of-sentinel-for-dogs.html

Lufenuron. Warning from Pet Consumer Report.

Brisby and I are out hiking in the bush, swimming etc. most days all year round. We meet many dogs regularly and have never had a flea issue, one to two or no ticks each year. I have her DVM run a SNAP 4Dx ( blood test) for her every 6 months for heartworm and tick born disease.

Keeping your pups immune system strong with a natural balanced species appropriate diet, adding some natural yeast, ACV, small amounts of garlic to their food and using specific essential oils either dropped on their collar/harness or mixed in a spray will make your dog an unappealing host to these parasites.

Wishing you the best of success in your decision.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I give Murphy heart worm prevention but refuse to give him any of that other poison. He's five and has yet to have a flea or tick. I did not give any of it to my previous five dogs either. The ONLY time my dog had fleas was when I had an outdoor cat, which was twenty five years ago. I too, have the Vet do the blood test twice a years to check for issues.

·
Registered
13,135 Posts
If your vet is recommending heartworm prevention, I would listen to them. Heartworm incidence is also extremely low in my area, but that is, in part, because there is a high level of heartworm prevention done. The incidence is going up because so many dogs are being rescued from overseas and being brought here heartworm positive. My friend's daughter has fostered three dogs with heartworm, and the illness is awful and the treatment is not easy.

Anyway - make sure your pup is old enough for sure. But, in my opinion, heartworm is one of those things you don't want to mess around with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts