Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Tessa has very long beautiful fur, but in the winter and spring months it gets very wet and muddy (her belly hair is so long it almost touches the ground!)

I would like to take her to the groomer to have her longer hair trimmed a bit (on her belly, back of her legs, a little of her mane), but my DH loves her hair long and says he's never seen a "golden retriever with short hair!" We do live in a very remote town and we are one of only three golden retriever owners around here.... the other two we see from time to time don't appear to be "trimmed".

Just wondering how common it is to trim their fur? I would hate to have her get her hair cut and the other golden retrievers to give her a funny look! LOL.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I must admit we have to belly rub our girls clean after every walk, we have no pavements and have to rely on the fields.

We thought about having her trimmed, but decided we would spoil her look.

I would be interested to see what other people think..

·
Nicole
227 Posts
If my boy wasn't still trying to earn his championship he'd definately have his belly trimmed, but prob not the back of his legs. I like his 'pants'. :)

·
Registered
367 Posts

·
Opus and Tasha
3,992 Posts
Just a word of caution. If you decide to have her coat trimmed, when you go to the groomer... perhaps take a photo of what you expect your dog to look like afterward. Or even better, stay with them while the grooming is done. Sure, like any bad haircut it grows back in 5-6 months. But why put yourself and the dog through that. There are some old postings here.... and they relate their tales of horror about taking a golden in for a 'trim' and return only to discover the dog has been almost completely shaved.

·
Opus and Tasha
3,992 Posts

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
my guy came to me naked - so I was very scared to get him trimmed. He has very long tail/butt feathers vs. our old guy who never needs a trim.
I stayed with him during his lst trim, he can solo now (I trust groomer & I think I'm on record as being paranoid; however, each time I STRESS just trim, no razors). No one would know he had been trimmed - just tidied up.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I had Sully trimmed her first summer and decided then and there no more short hair--I mean it was short. However, tomorrow Scotty and Sully are going to the groomers to get bathed and trimmed (tiny bit). Sully loves this groomer and I did a bad job cutting some of their back leg and tail hair after a bout of diaherra. The rain and melting snow are also contributing to the trim. I love the golden locks, but it will grow back by summer.

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
I have had Chesters butt feathers trimmed (just a little bit) I don't mind the dirt or snow but a few soft poops made we want to trim them up. My husband wanted them trimmed more but I said it took him a long time to grow that fuzz and I can't have it chopped off. Plus yes their is always that chance that other dogs would laugh at him. :)

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Tidying-up is not hard to learn to do yourself!

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
I like having the leg feathers trimmed a little to look neater but I don't trust the new groomer I take my dog to. My dad asked her to "tidy" up his border collie and she shaved his butt feathers and took off half his tail feathers! There was no "feathering" done or tapering, just a blunt razor cut. His tail looked awful! Poor guy. Now when she asks if I want Ranger "tidied up" I just say no. Imagine losing half a tail!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts