Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 3 year old female. We are thinking about getting a 8 week old male from the same the same breeder as our female. But we aren't sure if we should get another dog. Our concern is, we are not sure our 3 year old will welcome another dog into the house. Please help. Thank you

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Having two goldens is great. Having a three year old will be a perfect time to add a puppy to the household. I'm sure they will become fast friends.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,602 Posts
We have a 3 year old female. We are thinking about getting a 8 week old male from the same the same breeder as our female. But we aren't sure if we should get another dog. Our concern is, we are not sure our 3 year old will welcome another dog into the house. Please help. Thank you
Pefect timing to add another Golden.

The older girl will no doubt have her moments the first few hours after the pup arrives, but I will bet they'll turn into a rolling continuous wrestling match before the week is out. They'll be having a blast.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
You have picked a good age to add another golden. Good luck and make sure you post pictures here of the new baby with his big sister.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
YES

we didn't think our selfish lab would take well to a young dog in HER house/life...best thing we ever did for her for getting a young goldie. Some of her bad habits amazingly decreased with her new friend around

·
Registered
16,316 Posts
Golden's tend to baby new pups, at least mine did, they loved Chloe coming in. Jack is still the perfect mother to her..LOL

·
Registered
151 Posts
I say get it! I personally would love to have 2 goldens someday, maybe when I have less commitments in life :)

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
Haha I've you're looking to be talked out of getting a second dog - you've come to the WRONG PLACE!!

Tons of people on here would tell you they'd never have just one dog, and a ton more will tell you they would have 2 if they could... I personally LOVE having 2, they are just so much more entertaining if anything...they totally have the coolest relationship with each other, and it's twice the love :)

·
BonnieM
152 Posts
Go for it. We just brought home a male puppy to our 11-year-old male. So far, so good. Coby's (older golden) nose was a bit out of joint, but by the 3rd day, he thought the puppy was OK. Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Two Golden's are heaven! There is added work and expense, but if you can get past that, it all works out.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I think its the perfect time to add another member to the family!

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
I've never had a problem with an older Golden taking in a puppy. And I've done it 4 times now.

Well, there was this one incident LOL

When I had Rusty, I got Nikita to be a second Golden for him to have company when I was working during the day. She was about 14 weeks old I think when I brought her home.

She came home in one of those temporary cardboard carriers.

I set it in the middle of the floor.

Rusty circled it about 6 times, sniffing the whole time. Nikki was inside sniffing back.

And then Rusty promptly lifted his leg and pee'd on the box LOL

That was their first and only incident. He was quite happy when she jumped out of the box :)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I've only had my golden for 2 weeks, and if I could, I'd already be getting another one.

·
Registered
Brady Aedan Finch and Wren
13,684 Posts
Oh I completely agree you can't have just one :)

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
Yes, Yes....get a second Golden. Chester was 2 in August and Murphy his 1/2 brother was 12 weeks last Sunday. Having 2 is fun...they always have a playmate. It has been a fun but busy 4 weeks but we can already tell they will be friends forever.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts