Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi group -

I'm so confused and torn.
We have been in contact with a very reputable breeder for months and were told today the puppy chosen for us has undescended testicles. The puppy will be 8 weeks on Monday.
Both parents have great credentials and health clearances & I have confidence in the breeder.
Just really confused on if we should pass on this puppy or not worry about it.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
Rocky, Golden Retriever.
7,310 Posts
Our Rocky had one undescended testicle. In his case, it was no big deal. He was neutered at 13 months, the surgery was uneventful and he recovered quickly. Now, at age 3.5 years, Rocky is doing great. Vet charged an extra $20 as I recall. One of Rocky's litter mates had both testicles undescended. His surgery was more complex, more expensive, and his recovery was more difficult, but he is fine now. Dogs with cryptorchidism are at much higher risk for testicular cancer, so neutering is strongly recommended. So if you were planning to breed your puppy, stay away. Also, cryptorchidism is thought to be inherited. You will have to weigh the pros and cons. There is information on the internet about cryptorchidism. Here is one article. Retained Testicle (Cryptorchidism) in Dogs
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Plant Grass

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
Other than the likelihood of an abdominal neuter which costs about same as a spay, cryptorchidism isn't associated w any other conditions so don't worry about that if everything on sire and dam is in place. Some people think there should be a discount w these boys but if breeder charges same for boys and girls, I don't see that that is necessary since people who buy girls have to have a spay that costs more than a typical neuter-

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Our Rocky had one undescended testicle. In his case, it was no big deal. He was neutered at 13 months, the surgery was uneventful and he recovered quickly. Now, at age 3.5 years, Rocky is doing great. Vet charged an extra $20 as I recall. One of Rocky's litter mates had both testicles undescended. His surgery was more complex, more expensive, and his recovery was more difficult, but he is fine now. Dogs with cryptorchidism are at much higher risk for testicular cancer, so neutering is strongly recommended. So if you were planning to breed your puppy, stay away. Also, cryptorchidism is thought to be inherited. You will have to weigh the pros and cons. There is information on the internet about cryptorchidism. Here is one article. Retained Testicle (Cryptorchidism) in Dogs View attachment 881170
Thanks Dave. Gorgeous boy!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Our first Golden had undescended testicles, Like the previous posters said, neuter surgery was a little more expensive/complex but no big deal. He had zero issues related to it and lived a long life - almost to 14.
I would accept the puppy without reservation.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If it gives you any comfort, my childhood dog had 1 undescended testicle. He lived a great long happy life --about 14 years. We had him neutered as others have recommended.

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,941 Posts
As long as you get him neutered by about 3 years old, it should be fine. After three years, there starts to be a slightly increased risk of testicular cancer in retained testicles. That risk doesn't become significant until they are 6 or 7 years old, so neutering by the time he is 3 is what is typically recommended. I'd get him, leave him intact at least until his growth plates close (about 22 months), and then get him neutered. He'll have a perfectly normal life.

Reactions: LJack

·
Super Moderator
3,145 Posts
My boy was unilaterally cryptorchid. Never did anything damaging to his quality of life. I had him neutered at 26 months and besides a slightly rough recovery period, he had no issues related to his testicles. He was not discounted, nor did I ask.

Reactions: diane0905

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Hi group -

I'm so confused and torn.
We have been in contact with a very reputable breeder for months and were told today the puppy chosen for us has undescended testicles. The puppy will be 8 weeks on Monday.
Both parents have great credentials and health clearances & I have confidence in the breeder.
Just really confused on if we should pass on this puppy or not worry about it.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
I had a boy with undescended testicles. I had him neutered at 1 year. He was a great dog and love of my life. I wouldn't hesitate to bring the puppy home.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts