Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw an interesting poll on another web site the other day asking if people thought they should be able deduct dog expenses from their taxes. Of course the popular answer was yes. And in a perfect world, I would agree. But the more I think about this, I think it would actually be terrible.

Those of us who are responsible pet owners plan and budget accordingly, and while the expenses can still be overwhelming, most people would agree that they knew what they were signing on for. If these expenses were tax deductible, I think you would find more and more people trying to abuse the system buy getting pets and not really properly caring for them. I like to think that would be hard to do because you would need to produce proof of your expenses, but people can find tons of loop holes when tax time rolls around.

A foster friend of mine mentioned that she can claim some of her foster expenses on her taxes though, so that got me thinking about it again.

What do you think?

·
Harleys Dad
1,052 Posts
I saw an interesting poll on another web site the other day asking if people thought they should be able deduct dog expenses from their taxes. Of course the popular answer was yes. And in a perfect world, I would agree. But the more I think about this, I think it would actually be terrible.

Those of us who are responsible pet owners plan and budget accordingly, and while the expenses can still be overwhelming, most people would agree that they knew what they were signing on for. If these expenses were tax deductible, I think you would find more and more people trying to abuse the system buy getting pets and not really properly caring for them. I like to think that would be hard to do because you would need to produce proof of your expenses, but people can find tons of loop holes when tax time rolls around.

A foster friend of mine mentioned that she can claim some of her foster expenses on her taxes though, so that got me thinking about it again.

What do you think?
My dogs care is tax deductible, vet bills, medications, travel expenses, he does therapy work for a not-for-profit organization. I didn't know of this perk until after we completed the certification process. I would think that service dogs qualify as well? Anyone know?
Wagondog

·
Registered
958 Posts
Dog's who work (provide a service to society), should not be taxed....therapy, service, search & rescue, etc., etc.

But as a companion or hobby pet, taxes should be paid.

As far as a pet owner's tax, maybe, but I think there is a better place to start, like puppy mills, and high volume puppy sellers. I can't say any more than that without hijacking this thread, so Ill stop right there.

·
3 goldens
11,761 Posts
Wow, something to think about. My Honey is no rained or registared service, therapy, rescue dog, etc, HOWEVER with me bein alone 90% of the time, sheis sort of therapy to me. I talk to her and tho she doesn't anser, she sits and looks at me and listens. She gives m things to do--grooming, feeing, loving on her,. I would be lost without her near me all the time.

I pay $42 a bag for her Taste of theWild dog food, plus I home cook for her. She gets her HW pill the1st of every month. The least little thing I deem "not quite right" means a trip to the vet. She had 2 surgeries on he leg for Mast Cell Tumor about 3 months ago. We do spend a lot of money on her. I don't think being able to cliam her as a depending would be right, but I would sure like to be able to claim a little of the vet bills for her care as a tax deduction.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Oh - Hide this thread before the government sees it - you're giving them a new form of revenue !!!!

But the person who said that some evil people will purchase dogs just for the tax credits - you're absolutely right. If they do stuff so immoral as having children solely for more welfare benefits - they wouldn't hesitate owning 100 dogs to only neglect them - just so they could reap the benefits.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
I remember one year I did my taxes....there was something called a "Hobby Expense deduction". Never seen it before and haven't seen it since...but I used it.

I added up all the receipts from my husband's go-Kart expenditures.

I wouldn't want "dependent" type deductions...but I don't see why we can't take into account what we spend on our pets. It allows us to keep more of our money and I think it would encourage better care for pets.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
I remember one year I did my taxes....there was something called a "Hobby Expense deduction". Never seen it before and haven't seen it since...but I used it. QUOTE]

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Whoa.......what year(s) was that?

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
I remember one year I did my taxes....there was something called a "Hobby Expense deduction". Never seen it before and haven't seen it since...but I used it. QUOTE]

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Whoa.......what year(s) was that?

It was on my TAXCUT software...and I'm thinking it was around 2002 or 2003. I looked all over for an indepth explanation...but it seemed to be just what it said........

·
Registered
78 Posts
Right now, I'm just praying that Mitch Daniels isn't reading this. He rarely misses a chance to raise taxes in Imdiana.
While I could make a good argument otherwise, we'll never see dogs considered a necessity. They're a luxury, and as such won't be tax deductible.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Never thought about them being tax deductible, but I've often wished I could add Mad to my company benefits package to get a break on her meds.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Tax deductible? The way things are headed, the gov't will probably find a way to tax dog owners. Maybe a pet owner's tax.:moreek:
They're thinking of implementing a veterinary tax surcharge here in California. It would put care way over budget for many people.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts