Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. My pup will be three weeks on wednesday. We have been to visit 3 times so far. The breeder is an employee of mine and we are welcome anytime. We have the pick of the litter and only one other is spoken for so far. My question is is how often should we/I go? WIll it make a difference to the puppers if she gets to know us before hand? Is that even possible? I imagine we will narrow down our choice in week 5 or 6 and then we could really get to know her.

We are taking her home on 01/02 when she will be 7 weeks 3 days old. The breeder does not have kids and we do, so I would like to get her into the crazies of our house early.

Attachments

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Gorgeous puppies. I don't see any problem with visiting your puppy but I would think their primary focus right now is their momma.

677 Posts
YES! Visit as often as possible... If you have the choice of puppy, you will quickly determine the guy/girl for you. If not, you will understand the breeder's choice for you. /And they are so darned cute...why NOT?

·
Registered
976 Posts
I don't have any advice but I just had to say that that first picture absolutely made me melt!! What beautiful pups!

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Lucky you to be able to visit whenever you want and watch your puppy grow. Do you have your eye on a particular one?

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
I will get my puppy next Friday, and I've visited the litter every week (starting in week 2...) and I can't but say: go as often as you can. They change every week and that's just amazing to see! Especially with children I would go as often as I could. I've a 15 year old, who wasn't really 'interested' in the first weeks (tiny sleeping babies), but now the puppies are getting bigger and very active, he wants to come every week. We've bought a large stuffed dog for Tess, very much like the one they have at my breeder's, and that 'dog' can be found in the weirdest places, so that I can get 'used' to the sight of a dog with her head in the garbagecan, coming from under the couch....all done by my son. Talk about getting involved!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all. Yes, we have "picked" yellow girl and are calling her piper, but that could change based on their temperment, etc. The kids have always been excited to go, but of course their attention span is like 15 minutes then it is time to go!

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
If you are visiting often, I would suggest getting a special toy to bring to the litter, so they can all sleep/play on it for the rest of their time together. When it comes time to bring your little one home, you can bring the toy with her and it will undoubtedly bring her comfort during those first few nights away from her brothers and sisters :) We did this for Bailey with her litter and she didn't even cry one time the first night we had her. I realize we were very lucky, and I hope you are as well!

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
Congrat's on your new puppy. I know how excited you are! If you're worried as to whether or not you'll bond as closely with her as you otherwise might, I don't think visiting too few or too many times will make a difference in the long run, but it can help you to get to know her and know what to expect when she gets home.

We only had 1 visit with Sam before bringing him home and we had no choice as he was the only pup left. He turned out to be my canine soul mate and a dog among dogs. When he picked Ike's Breeder, we too were encouraged to visit as often as we liked and we did. I was the hands on visitor and hubby sat back and let me have all the puppy kisses...yet Ike is closer to and seems to be more bonded with my hubby. This really upset me at first, but I know it was selfish of me and now I get a sense of joy at seeing how Ike adores my hubby. He'll whine if hubby leaves the house or if we're in the car and hubby runs into the store. I asked DH if Ike whines when I'm gone....nope.=( Oh, well. I love my Nut Pup and I know he loves me too.

·
BonnieM
152 Posts
Congratulations on your puppy! The litter is gorgeous.

I don't think you can visit too many times. Plus, I think it'd be very cool to see them change each week. And, as they grow, you'll be able to see their temperaments develop.

I also agree with bringing a stuffed toy with you and let that toy catch the scent of the litter. Our breeder sent us home with a large stuffed toy, and Sam never fussed at night from day one.

Can't wait to see more pics of your pup!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts