Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a couple weeks now (since being groomed actually) Pippa has at times been trying to get at her vulva and is quite vicious sounding as she's trying to do that. I have bathed the area with salt water thinking that some shampoo residue was left behind from her grooming. Things were okay for a few days but again this morning she is at herself and when I looked, the skin around the area is red and the urethra is red and irritated and the opening is blood red while the rest of the skin is normal coloured. Should I make a vet appt. or continue to cleanse the area? She has no other symptoms of a UTI (frequent urination, straining, etc.). I am not looking "there" frequently so am unsure if the red urethra is normal.

Attachments

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Wow, that area does look angry. I would say a vet appointment might not be a bad idea. Good luck, and keep us informed.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I am wondering if it isn't a yeast infection? :confused:You wouldn't be seeing the classic signs of a bladder infection with it. I would have her checked out for sure. It does look very sore.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I would take her in to be on the safe side. It does look like it really hurts.

·
16,000 Posts
If left untreated, UTI's can become chronic. I agree that the area around her vulva looks like it might be "yeasty", which can be absolutely miserable. A vet trip is in order, and poor Pippa should be feeling better in no time.

·
aka Ali, Oscar's mom
493 Posts
Oh no poor baby! I hope she feels better soon! The vet should be able to point you in the right direction at least; it does seem like yeast infection might be a possibility. :( Keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If left untreated, UTI's can become chronic. I agree that the area around her vulva looks like it might be "yeasty", which can be absolutely miserable. A vet trip is in order, and poor Pippa should be feeling better in no time.

We have had our yeast issues for sure so would not be surprised if this is what it is. I bathed the area again with salt water and dried it well and she has not touched the area since yesterday afternoon. We have a visit with our breeder today so I will get her opinion as what I should do and can then get her into the vets later today or tomorrow if need be. I take it as a good sign that she has not touched the area since midday yesterday.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Goldilocks

Goldilocks

No offense to your breeder at all, but I would DEFINITELY take her into the vet.
Whatever it is UTI or yeast it needs to be treated and looked at by the vet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts