Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I love my golden kids!
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Henry is currently eating Merrick Cowboy Cookout kibble (beef-based.). He has done okay on it, but has never had truly firm poop consistently. He had a bout w/ diarrhea yesterday & the vet prescribed Flagyl and fortaflora. Fecal test was clear. He is on a bland diet of boiled hamburger and rice for a few days. If I was to switch his kibble, now would be the time, as I will be gradually adding it in with the beef and rice. He doesn't do well on kibble with chicken. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
What else are you supplementing his diet with? Perhaps try a couple tablespoons of canned unsweetened pumkin- and add some MISSING LINK( rich in omega three from flax meal) . These two foods could firm up his stool. Also good for him!:wave:

·
I love my golden kids!
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I give both of them dogzymes probiotic with their food. I have used the canned pumpkin whenever his poop gets soft, and this helps. I'm not sure if it is okay to give canned pumpkin continually?

I was considering pro plan sensitive skin & stomach kibble...since it has salmon, that would have the omega 3...

·
Registered
926 Posts
Henry's old enough to either be on an adult or all life stage food.
I have always had good results with Orijins or Acana (grain free) - both are made by the same company in Canada, Champion. Acana is lower in protein so you might want to try that one first - they have options without chicken.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts