Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
My real name is Sandy
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was at the vet clinic getting Bella's nail trimmed. I was at the counter near the door paying my bill. I had my back to the door and Bella was on a leash next to me. All of a sudden I heard a growl and Bella pulling at the leash. I turned around and was mortified to see that Bella was snarling at a lab who had entered behind me. I quickly pulled her back and left. I found out that Bella had slightly bit the other dog on its nose and so the man's dog was given antibiotics just to be sure. Should I be paying for that? I didn;t even know his dog was bit at the time. And what on earth made Bella do that? Why does she get so ornery with certain dogs?

·
Daisy-Broken Heart Healer
595 Posts
I'm sorry that this happened--for both you and the other dog and owner. Like Debles, I would feel responsible and expect to pay for treatment. Rather than ask why she is doing this (because often the answer is not clear), it is time to admit that she does act unpredictable and change how you handle things. For example, as soon as she is done with her vet visit, take her immediately to your car, then return to pay the bill. That way everyone stays safe. I know that you love her, but love alone does not change the facts. I've been in similar situations at the vet's office, but it was other dogs lunging at us. It is very scary indeed.

·
My real name is Sandy
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bella IS very unpredictable and I am getting more and more stressed about it. I never know when she is going to growl at another dog--I have taken more steps to avoid other dogs. She DOES like to play with dogs but when meeting up with another leashed dog then Bella gets aggressive. I am at wits end to solve this--I am actually thinking of rehoming her to someone who is stronger.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I would feel responsible and pay for the antibiotics too. I'm sure since Bella's aggression has come up before so has thyroid testing. Has she had her thyroid levels measured? I would get her used to a muzzle in anticipation of future vet visits. Just having a muzzle on her will keep people at a distance, which is all for the good.

My Border Collie/Golden mix is very anxious at the vets, and I have to keep an eye on him constantly. I think vet waiting areas etc are often not designed with dogs passing each other in mind. The vet office is stressful for many dogs...add being leashed, in very close proximity, and maybe pain...all absolute precursors of a bite!

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
I would not rehome her... but I would offer to pay just in case. You never know, the other dog might have started it. His owner should never have let him walk up to your dog... and the other way around.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
I would offer to pay, assuming your SIL isn't going to charge an arm and a leg for that (had a vet once give me antibiotics - he used the most expensive stuff he could find, $50 for five days worth...:confused:) of course.

I have a 'reactive' dog and I don't give him the chance to act up if at all possible - he is on a short leash so he can't get far if needed, and I've worked him enough to know what will set him off as well as so he knows to think twice before doing anything. There is only a few people I can leave him with where I know he'll be 'safe' and not get into trouble.

I also think we get the dogs we have for a reason, maybe for you it's so you can learn to be strong when you need to?

Wow, that's a bit too 'zen' for this early in the day....:p:

Lana

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I'm so sorry that happened. That is just awful. If one of my dogs injured another dog, I would definitely feel obligated to pay for the other dog's antibiotic treatment.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Most all dogs are stressed at the vet and can do things that they might not do anywhere else. If she did bite him, i would pay for the vet bill and apologize. The taking her out to the car right after coming out will help her and you. She will feel less stressed and you will not have to worry about something happening.
I have a cat that is a love bunny at home and loves everyone, dogs and other cats. But take him to the vet and he turns into a devil cat. He hisses and will try to bite anyone that trys to touch him including me. My vet is very understanding and says all the new strange smells from the other animals can set it off.
I would not rehome her, I would try to find a trainer even if you have to drive alittle distance. Some trainers will even come to your home to see how the dog acts in its own environment. It will help her and you. And worth effort.

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
I would pay the bill... I have a dog that picks her friends and doesnt care for strange dogs to get up in her face.... When she is at the vets I keep her very close to me and on a short short leash, if ppl walk in and start to let there dogs come near mine I ask them not to.(and tell them shes not friendly) Im always always a ware of my surroundings with her. If the vet is very busy when we come out I take her straight to the car and then go back in and finish.

·
My real name is Sandy
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would offer to pay, assuming your SIL isn't going to charge an arm and a leg for that (had a vet once give me antibiotics - he used the most expensive stuff he could find, $50 for five days worth...:confused:) of course.

I have a 'reactive' dog and I don't give him the chance to act up if at all possible - he is on a short leash so he can't get far if needed, and I've worked him enough to know what will set him off as well as so he knows to think twice before doing anything. There is only a few people I can leave him with where I know he'll be 'safe' and not get into trouble.

I also think we get the dogs we have for a reason, maybe for you it's so you can learn to be strong when you need to?

Wow, that's a bit too 'zen' for this early in the day....:p:

Lana

I have never heard the term "reactive"---I looked it up and that indeed describes my dog. So based on the reviews I ordered this book

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0976641402/qid=1119365014/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/104-7600524-1669523

I cannot wait to read what I should do. I am just tired of never knowing what she will do.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Sandy, I'm sorry my initial answer was so short.

My Gunner doesn't like strange dogs and growls. At the vet, we leave him in the car till our turn then bring him in through another door so we don't have to pass all the waiting anxious dogs!

I would suggest working with a trainer, even if it is just Bella's personality and you might not be able to change it. But she can be trained (and you too) to obey you!

Gunner has been trained with me and obeys me well. When we see another dog coming, we cross the street. In our own yard, I put him in a stay and he obeys when a dog and person walk by.

I don't take him to dogparks or anywhere where there are groups of other dogs. He gets along great with dogs he knows. His problem is not dominance aggression. It is fear/anxiety aggression and there is not much we can do except control his surroundings and his obedience.
Please don't rehome your baby! I could never send Gunner somewhere else. He is my boy and I am responsiblle for him.

·
Daisy-Broken Heart Healer
595 Posts

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
i guess I have areactive dog, too. I've had people tell me maybe he's territorial about the trail we walk since we do it so frequently, he's happy when he sees the few dogs he's actually met before but "reactive" to strangers; Belle was at the vet lst, so maybe she felt the lab was an intruder.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Lexi doesn't care for puppies/small dogs in her face...
In the stressful and close quarters of the vets office - not knowing what goofball is going to come around the corner with their little Fluffy on a Flexi to "say hello" or "play"- I muzzle her.

There was a man with a "Fluffy" off leash at the vet...he put his dog down to come over to Lexi to say "hello" - I announced in a loud voice that my dog had a very contagious disease - you should have seen how fast he scooped up his little dog LOLOLOL

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
I like the ideas about leaving her in the car until your turn, especially if the waiting area is small. Or maybe, because it's your SIL, you could have the first or last appt of the day.

A short, 2 foot braided training leash with a loop for your hand and a Gentle Leader head halter might be the answer to keep her right by you. She can't over power you with that on. Refresh her sit/stay at your side and keep your focus on her. I think you can train your way through this.

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
I would pay for the treatment. I never bring Shadow in when there is another dog in the waiting room that the owner lets walk around. I just never know if Shadow will like the dog or not. He usually does okay, but I don't chance it. I certainly don't bring him near another dog when I hear the owner say, "My dog doesn't like other dogs!" LOL I'm pretty restrictive with my dogs. I'd rather they not meet and greet.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Desensitize her to a Gentle Leader. It will remove about 80% of her strength and you'll be able to safely control her if she lunges to another dog. Lots of dogs are great off leash, but not when leashed.

If this other person let his dog approach yours, I'd feel he was 1/2 at fault. I'd offer to split the cost of the meds.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts