Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday we had a New Year's Day party. Some of the people who were invited greeted Brooks (but I could read their body language which said they would prefer not to have him too close) so I decided after about an hour to put him away from the crowd. Also, due to my lapses in training, Brooks has gotten more bold about approaching (and even licking!!) unattended plates and has been known to do a "coffee table sweep tail wag.
Additionally, after Brooks had been put up, one couple arrived with their "miracle twin 2 1/2 yr olds" (in-vitro triplets, born at 28 weeks, two survived but with multiple health problems).
My husband kept wanting to bring Brooks out to meet the (very active, and never been around a dog) twins. The mother wasn't eager for the encounter nor was I (Brooks is never around children and if you remember my Christmas day post, Brooks recently growled at ME when I took his wrapped bone out of his mouth to remover the paper-so I have been working on the NILIF method with him). My husband says I was being over cautious in not letting Brooks be around the twins.
What do you think?

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I think you were right. You could not have undone anything he might have done. Instead of setting him up for failure, you kept him where he couldn't get into any type of trouble.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I agree with you completely....I will add that you are not alone in a situation like this as my DH would agree with your DH.

I am always conservative with Belle and unless I 100% know how she will react to something especially if it is a situation involving other people then I do not want to take a chance.....granted my DH sounds like yours - "you are worrying too much - she is a good girl and will be just fine" is what he would say.

Hence - I can completely understand the situation....also when children are involved it is a whole other sensitive issue.....Belle has not been around children much either and I am the same way - the last thing you want is your dog to do anything even unintentional in which the dog would not even mean anything but friendliness by it, but due to their size and their lack of realization of that size to knock the child down or something of the sort.

Then the party focus switches from fun to everyone talking about what your dog did, etc......

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I agree with you completely....I will add that you are not alone in a situation like this as my DH would agree with your DH.

I am always conservative with Belle and unless I 100% know how she will react to something especially if it is a situation involving other people then I do not want to take a chance.....granted my DH sounds like yours - "you are worrying too much - she is a good girl and will be just fine" is what he would say.

Hence - I can completely understand the situation....also when children are involved it is a whole other sensitive issue.....Belle has not been around children much either and I am the same way - the last thing you want is your dog to do anything even unintentional in which the dog would not even mean anything but friendliness by it, but due to their size and their lack of realization of that size to knock the child down or something of the sort.

Then the party focus switches from fun to everyone talking about what your dog did, etc......
I completely agree!! Ours is more with Sienna greeting other dogs. We never know what she might do as she has become nervous nose to nose. My husband is the same and says I'm a worry wart. Well, we had a guy who wanted Sienna to say hello to his young dog... I gave my husband the leash and said "you do it, so she won't respond to my feelings" Sienna gave a back off bark and jumped at the dog. The guy was pretty upset and I STILL feel terrible about it. I say why chance it unless it is a controlled situation.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Caution is always a good idea!

That being said, i would not have put Zep away as this is his house (and i'm a bit stubborn). I figure that if people want to come visit, then they are going to have to deal with Zeppy because he lives here and they do not.

The children, though, are a different story. Especially given that their mom did not seem thrilled with the idea, i'm thinking you did the right thing in not bringing him out to meet the kids. If mom had been ok with the idea, then i'd bring Brooks out to meet them.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Caution is always a good idea!

That being said, i would not have put Zep away as this is his house (and i'm a bit stubborn). I figure that if people want to come visit, then they are going to have to deal with Zeppy because he lives here and they do not.

The children, though, are a different story. Especially given that their mom did not seem thrilled with the idea, i'm thinking you did the right thing in not bringing him out to meet the kids. If mom had been ok with the idea, then i'd bring Brooks out to meet them.
I totally agree :)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I can imagine this scene between me and my husband. You, IMHO, did the right thing. There will be plenty of other opportunities in the future to show off your golden--a New Year's party at your house--unless your guests are a bunch of "dog savvy" people dressed in jeans and sweats--is not the appropriate time or place.

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
You were definitely in the right. If Brooks hasn't had experience with children, a party situation with two two-year-olds isn't the environment in which to test his reactions, especially with a nervous mother.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Socialization is a good thing....but probably not a crash course with people at a party. Invite some friends, or friends with kids over another time but let them know you want to leave the dog out for socialization & to get him use to company & situations. I think you did right.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I totally agree with YOU too. A loud busy party with young twins who have issues is NOT the place to try to socialize or even just introduce your dog, especially if he has shown any aggression.

Having your dog around because it is his home, is a totally different situation! I never put Selka and Gunner away in another room. people who come here know my dogs are our family and if they don't like it they can leave. Not everyone's opinion but it is mine, my house and my dogs. But tomorrow we are having our family Christmas with 10 adults, 7 grandkids under 8 and four goldens in our living room with food!!!!
Gunner and Selka both get stressed in that situation and they both sit right by my husband's and my legs and don't move, usually. I would put them in our room for their own comfort but they would cry and want to be with us.

You did the right thing and not only protected the twins but your goldena nd your own liability!

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I would have done exactly the same. We had 5 holiday parties, most with no children though. 45lb, 5.5 month old, in-you-face Hank is hard to ignore. We gated him in the laundry room until late in the evening when some of the guest had left and the food was put up. Have young twins in the face of a dog not accustomed to kids is not a good idea when you're busy entertaining other guests.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts