Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Left to right, boy-boy-girl. I want a boy and could have one. This picture taken today by me with them @4 weeks old.

I am kind of torn about this. I want to rescue/adopt again, but a rescue Golden is so hard to come by in the Northeast. I have been blessed by fate with the 3 Goldens I have had one at a time over the past 20 yrs.

I adopted Fiona at 8yrs of age, turns 10 this year. I hope she lives well into her teens...

For the interested breeder peeps, all I will say is both owners of sire and dam have been at this for over 30yrs. Very responsible, all clearances done. 5 generation pedigree on both sides is nothing to sneeze at. Great lines. Sire became a champion in 2011. Health and longevity are paramount with their breeding. Both adhere to the GRCA COE of course. One litter about every 2 years for the dam, she turns 6yrs young soon. Might be her last litter I think.

Not that color is important, but judging by their ears and muzzles it seems they would be a medium. Sire is med-dark, dam med-light. Makes sense, maybe.

The dam is a doll, I would like to meet the sire in person and can do so. He sounds like a spitfire, I like that :)

My girl Fiona would be fine with this, that I do not see as a problem. I think she would thrive with a friend. She is great with puppies we meet on our walks, although she is probably glad we leave them there though ;)

I have never had 2 dogs at once before. Never had a puppy either but I could handle it. May act like a zombie for a month, oh well. I work from home, if my dog lets out a fart or sneeze any time of the day or night I know about it. My veterinarians are masters of their art too. Nothing but the best.

I just don't know. Stomach butterflies just thinking about it. This is a big deal to me, not taking it lightly.

Me in the puppy forum? god help me.:roflmao:

I suppose you guys won't talk me out of it huh? Big decision though.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Just Do It! So jealous. My wife has been riding the fence about a second dog. But I think she is starting to teeter. Fiona will be such a great big sister. The only downside is raw hands from the shark teeth phase. I like the looks of that boy on the left. Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Follow your heart.
I bless you for rescuing goldens, especially older ones. It takes a special person to do that, taking them in and giving them a fantastic home when you know the amount of time you will have with them is going to be limited.
But I also think that at least once you should experience the "clean slate" that comes with a puppy. The wonder that they show at everything in the world around them. The pure goodness and trust, with no prior experience.
Only you can decide if this is the right puppy, or the right time in your life. But again, I do think at least once you should experience the pure joy that comes when you get a puppy.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
YES, YES, YES!!!! Two is wonderful. The companionship and fun to be had with two is much more than two fold. So fun to watch them interact in ways that they can't with humans. And twice the furbies to snuggle with!

Those pups are adorable.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Either one is a real cutie but I agree something about that boy on the left is saying take me home. Sounds like you and Fiona would both enjoy him. Do you have any names pickout yet?

Reactions: GoldenCamper

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
My stomach was all a jumble when I considered having 2 dogs, but then I dove in and I wouldn't have it any other way. In fact for a while I had three. You have been such a great guide to your pups showing them the way with respect and beauty.
I say it is your turn to dive into puppyland. How could you ever resist those beautiful faces.
Ignore those tummy butterflies and GO FOR IT!
Keep us posted and oh yes, we need lots of pictures!

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,701 Posts
I won't even begin to try and talk you out of one of those beautiful golden pups.

I say GO FOR IT!

It would probably be great for Miss Fiona, I've always had at least two dogs. However, the last dog I got as a pup was Taz and that was 16.5 years ago now. I adopted Remy and Roxy when they were two.

If you get one of these pups, I will be so envious but so happy for you! Looking forward to hearing what you decide.

·
Missing Tasha, Sky, & Ral
3,380 Posts
I think the answer is definitely YES!!! You are a great golden dad and I am sure Fiona would love a little brother to snuggle with! Let us know which one you pick. :D

·
Missing Tasha, Sky, & Ral
3,380 Posts
I think the answer is definitely YES!!! You are a great golden dad and I am sure Fiona would love a little brother to snuggle with! Let us know which one you pick :D

Well see it is a sign! Somehow I posted twice. It was definitely meant to be!

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,068 Posts
Being the proud owner of 3 Goldens...I say definitely go for it!!!!

Fiona will be a perfect teacher for her new little brother.

Can't wait to see pics of your new baby!!!!

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Do you think anyone here is going to try and argue you out of one of those adorable faces?

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
Oh boy!! If you have to ask, your heart is screaming DO IT, DO IT, DO IT :)

Seriously, multiple goldens bring such richness to your life it is indescribable. And while I laud you efforts at rescue, you are so right in the rarity of goldens in need in the NorthEast (I think because we have really great resources & breeders) and a pup, to boot.

Oh, you will have such a blast :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Go for it!!!!!! We have always had two and it's wonderful. Never a dull moment, keeps you young.... lol.....

Mike

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Do it for me so I can vicariously enjoy puppyhood through your pup. We can't get another puppy just yet due to Toby's protracted eye surgery recovery. You are so good at photographing your dogs' lives I can't wait to see puppy photos!!

·
I miss my Buddy
11,534 Posts
One more YES added to others. Nobody would be able to give this puppy better home and appreciate having him/her to share life with than you. And you will enrich your life seeing world thru the eyes of a puppy. I know when I am ready to have another one there are so many things I missed to pay attention to as first time dog owner. I say yes and I am sooo happy for you, almost like I am getting one. All three are gorgeous.

·
Gunner and Honey's Mom
5,624 Posts
YES, Steve! It will help keep Fiona and you both young....;) If I worked from home or was retired now I would probably get another puppy. It's hard for me working. I have to depend on a neighbor to come over every day and let Gunner out. I have actually looked to adopt a rescue but the right one hasn't come around, yet. I'm so happy for you. You will be great daddy to a puppy. Can't wait to see the pictures!

·
Dakota Katie River's Mom
1,684 Posts
I have to say yes as well! One thing I've found is a puppy can add years to the life of an older dog, guarenteeing they get good exercise alone is wonderful. We've watched KC, my son's then fourteen year old GR go from laying around to actively playing, when Avita, a GR puppy became her playmate. We did make sure KC wasn't overwhelmed by the nonstop Avita, but they are now fast friends. KC is playing as she hasn't done in years.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts