Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All,
I’m new to the forum, and so thankful for it, as I feel like I’m learning so much from reading the various posts. Initially, I found this site looking for information on breeders in the SE. Hoping to do the right thing this time and not purchase my Golden from a newspaper ad again. But, I have a DILEMNA and I need your help. I know someone who has a 9 week puppy. Parents are field bred. The owner is active in agility, and I believe field work competition too. She teaches numerous classes at an AKC licensed dog club which provides classes in many aspects of dog training. (I verified) Is there a way to verify Titles though? Also, if someone could review and tell me what they think about their clearances, it would be greatly appreciated. What do you think, should I buy insurance or look elsewhere?

The pedigree information on the puppy is https://k9data.com/verticalpedigree.asp?ID=1112523and

Sire:
MACH2 Northern Star Holy Mackeral JH MXG MJG MFG TQX T2B4 AKC DNA #V930665 (SR87798408)

Dam:

Topbrass Skye's Elsbeth Fyre CD PCD BN RA AX MXJ XF CGC TKN OFA24G OFEL24 (SR84596705)

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
HI, I have shifted your thread to the correct section so that you'll get more replies here :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I’m new to this, but from what I can see on OFA, the dams eyes are out of date, but there’s a chance that they were done but not sent in. I would ask if they’ve been done more recently.

The sire has no heart clearance on OFA, but there’s a chance it was done but not sent in. His eyes are out of date as well, but again, they could have been done but not sent in.

I would ask if you can see copies of the clearances and verify that they look good (and if you don’t know what to look for you can post them and someone on the forum will help verify). If the above aren’t done though, I personally would hesitate to proceed. I noticed the sire’s mother also has no heart clearance, so that’s two generations that appear untested.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Worth thinking through the following: If you got a field golden would you be doing working with them or doing field related hobbies with the dog? As otherwise this could be a lot of energy and drive to cope with and may be un fair to expect the dog to make do with just regular pet walking/garden activities.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Awesome performance breeding. If you want an active, athletic pup, jump on it. If you want a couch potato, probably not. Sounds like you're near the breeder? If possible, visit with mom, maybe even dad. Best predictors of offspring personality are the parent's personalities.

To verify the titles, go to the AKC website (AKC.org) and look up the dog by registration number. Hard to believe someone would make up those titles, but anything is possible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts