Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my puppy is 6.5 wks old now, and Simba is coming home at 8 wks. I have been doing quite a bit of research, and wondering if I should enroll him for any pet insurance already? Also, should I get the "wellness" kind of routine care packages - they generally cover $100 of neutering , some costs towards vaccinations, annual visits, etc.
I am inclined towards getting either VPI or Pets Best Insurance for him.

Any thoughts?? :)

·
Mom to Fyodor & Gibson
1,303 Posts
we have petplan for gaius. we enrolled shortly after he arrived home. we chose the gold plan that has $20,000 coverage per year, 0% co-insurance, and $200 deductible per claim. it doesn't cover any kind of routine stuff, and anything under $200 is out-of-pocket for us. we just want the peace of mind that he'll receive the best care and treatment possible if anything serious happens to him.
i think petplan is perfect for us. i do know some people that are happy with VPI, too.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
bumping up

·
Maryland
2,806 Posts
I'd suggest insurance. You never know when or what you'll need it for.

The sooner the better!

Also, Pet Plan and Embrace would be my two choices. They cover heridetary problems, as well as accidents and illnesses. They don't cover routine checkups, vaccinations, heartworming or flea/tick meds. (By the time you pay for insurance on those things, you could just pay for them outright....it's the big things that you need insurance for).

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'd suggest insurance. You never know when or what you'll need it for.

The sooner the better!

Also, Pet Plan and Embrace would be my two choices. They cover heridetary problems, as well as accidents and illnesses. They don't cover routine checkups, vaccinations, heartworming or flea/tick meds. (By the time you pay for insurance on those things, you could just pay for them outright....it's the big things that you need insurance for).
How about VPI? Do you they cover routine checkups, vaccinations, heartworming, etc? Insurance is great in case anything happens [God-forbid]. I will get it when I get my puppy.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm totally for insurance. I already have a plan picked out, I'll have to check my e-mail for the quote. It's about $30 a month and takes care of pretty much everything but routine stuff which is fine by me. Get it get it. It's better to have and never use it than the alternative...

·
Maryland
2,806 Posts
VPI doesn't cover a lot of the big stuff. Like the operation if your dog needed it for Hip Dysplasia. It doesn't cover any genetic/hereditary illnesses/issues. THAT's what you need insurance for.....the high cost items. And most of the genetic issues ARE high cost items to "fix". Since so many Goldens suffer from genetic problems, I'd strongly suggest you choose a company that covers them.

Generally it's expected that a puppy/dog will have annual checkups and HW/Flea/Tick medications, plus necessary vaccines. Those are "normal" costs, like food. Granted it can be a couple of hundred dollars per year, but that's part of the price of owning a dog....and would be easy to save up for over a year.

The costs that can really create heartbreak are things like surgery for HD, to the tune of $3000+. Most people just don't have that laying around.......and many insurances don't cover it.

Pet Plan and Embrace do.

Expect to pay for normal vaccinations and stuff.......and get the insurance just in case you need it for expensive illnesses, or injuries....or hereditary problems!

I have Embrace for the Newfs....I can afford whatever happens to the Goldens, but Newfs cost about 2-3x as much for everything.

I have a $200 deductible, with a 20% co-pay.....and a maximum of $10,000 per year.....all for $24.99 per month. A Golden would be less. Pricing varies depending on what your deductible is (you get to choose)....what your co-pay is (you choose that too), and what the maximum amount of coverage per year you want (and you choose that).

IF you go with Embrace, make SURE you get the Continuing Care option (yep..you choose again). That covers a dog from year to year if they have an on-going problem (like thyroid, or diabetes, etc) and as long as you keep the policy in force, it'll be covered.

You can also get dental and prescription coverage (if you want that). I didn't choose that option.

Oh, and it's underwritten by Lloyds of London. An insurance company that's been around for a LONG time.

·
Registered
110 Posts
VPI doesn't cover a lot of the big stuff. Like the operation if your dog needed it for Hip Dysplasia. It doesn't cover any genetic/hereditary illnesses/issues. THAT's what you need insurance for.....the high cost items. And most of the genetic issues ARE high cost items to "fix". Since so many Goldens suffer from genetic problems, I'd strongly suggest you choose a company that covers them.

Generally it's expected that a puppy/dog will have annual checkups and HW/Flea/Tick medications, plus necessary vaccines. Those are "normal" costs, like food. Granted it can be a couple of hundred dollars per year, but that's part of the price of owning a dog....and would be easy to save up for over a year.

The costs that can really create heartbreak are things like surgery for HD, to the tune of $3000+. Most people just don't have that laying around.......and many insurances don't cover it.

Pet Plan and Embrace do.

Expect to pay for normal vaccinations and stuff.......and get the insurance just in case you need it for expensive illnesses, or injuries....or hereditary problems!

I have Embrace for the Newfs....I can afford whatever happens to the Goldens, but Newfs cost about 2-3x as much for everything.

I have a $200 deductible, with a 20% co-pay.....and a maximum of $10,000 per year.....all for $24.99 per month. A Golden would be less. Pricing varies depending on what your deductible is (you get to choose)....what your co-pay is (you choose that too), and what the maximum amount of coverage per year you want (and you choose that).

IF you go with Embrace, make SURE you get the Continuing Care option (yep..you choose again). That covers a dog from year to year if they have an on-going problem (like thyroid, or diabetes, etc) and as long as you keep the policy in force, it'll be covered.

You can also get dental and prescription coverage (if you want that). I didn't choose that option.

Oh, and it's underwritten by Lloyds of London. An insurance company that's been around for a LONG time.
Thanks for that information!. Sounds like Embrace is great! I know a man in my building who owed two dogs. They got infected by a disease [I forgot what it was called], but he did not have the money to treat his dogs [the medication (etc) was very costly], so he had to let them died. Poor dear! :( I am sure if had insurance he could have afforded the surgeries and medication [under the Prescription drug coverage]. I was very sad when he told me this [I was wondering why his dogs were never around].

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any thoughts on PetsBest Insurance? They cover everything (including heriditary and breed-specific) other than Epilepsy and Parasites (flea, heartworm etc). They cover 90% of everything with an option of picking a plan with deductible of $75 / $100 / $200.
They also have the "wellness" package as an optional add-on.. which covers vaccinations, annual visits, spaying/neutering - that could be very useful for puppies.

Any thoughts on Pets Best Insurance ( http://www.petsbest.com )??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts