Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I've had two goldens and two collies. Generally, I'd say the goldens are robust and the collies are gentle. The goldens are gentle in the sense that they don't take offense at small children pulling at their ears. Which my collies would not have liked at all.

The collies want to lay quietly on your feet. The goldens want to be in your lap. The collie gently touches your elbow for attention. The golden knocks your elbow in the air to make room for his head under it.

I do think that a golden would love to live with a large family. Since they are on the active side, a large family can keep them busy throughout the day. Or at least the family members can trade off when the dog needs attention. Or petting. Mine would be happy to be petted 24/7 if I were willing.

But back to your original questions. Shedding. Casper doesn't shed much at all. Perhaps it's a PNW thing. The weather is cooler in the summer and there isn't the trigger to make their hair all fall out. Or maybe it's coming next year. Smell. Haven't ever noticed that he smells. I have no sense of smell, but my husband does. I'm sure he'd tell me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I've had two goldens and two collies. Generally, I'd say the goldens are robust and the collies are gentle. The goldens are gentle in the sense that they don't take offense at small children pulling at their ears. Which my collies would not have liked at all.

The collies want to lay quietly on your feet. The goldens want to be in your lap. The collie gently touches your elbow for attention. The golden knocks your elbow in the air to make room for his head under it.

I do think that a golden would love to live with a large family. Since they are on the active side, a large family can keep them busy throughout the day. Or at least the family members can trade off when the dog needs attention. Or petting. Mine would be happy to be petted 24/7 if I were willing.

But back to your original questions. Shedding. Casper doesn't shed much at all. Perhaps it's a PNW thing. The weather is cooler in the summer and there isn't the trigger to make their hair all fall out. Or maybe it's coming next year. Smell. Haven't ever noticed that he smells. I have no sense of smell, but my husband does. I'm sure he'd tell me.
Thanks! Your dog is sooo cute! I love that face! Yeah, I guess I'm looking for something that will tolerate the kids. I will teach the kids how to behave around the dog, but I still expect the dog to put up with them touching, petting, and the occasional tugging, etc, that children do. I don't want the dog easily aggravated by little hands and faces getting too close.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Jumping in a little late.
We got our boy when my kids weer 4, 7 and 10. You need to be prepared for the fact that your puppy will treat your kids like littermates. The more your kids run, jump yell, scream or wrestly, the more hyped up your pup will get and the more it will mouth. Before you bring a puppy home, have a plan for how you will keep your kids and pup separated when not supervised (baby gates, a closed off room, etc.), make sure your kids know the "rules" for interacting with the pup...mine included staying calm, never picking the pup up, which rooms pup was allowed in, always taking pup outside when he came out of his crate, how to react when he got nippy, etc. Go over the rules with your kids.

Puppy proof your house.
Invest in a crate.

If you have the time and patience to handle the house training and nipping for the first 8 months or so.....then a golden is GREAT!

Rocket is from a conformation breeder. His coat is medium/light gold. He has thick feathering, but his overall coat is not particularly thick. I brush once a week or less. In his first year, I've only ever found one mat in his fur. The only odor I ever really notice is his breath (brushing his teeth helps with that) and ears (cleaning the ears takes care of that). I bathe, or have him bathed, every 4-6 weeks. He has passed 3 levels of obedience class and gotten his CGC.

When looking for a pup, I specified I wanted a lower energy dog. And we got it. Rocket is great indoors, pretty much a couch potato, but willing to play like crazy outdoors or around other dogs.

I think you might be confused when people are referring to field dogs being lighter or their coats being lighter vs. conformation dogs. Typically (and this is a huge generalization) the conformation dogs are lighter in color, calmer in nature, but have thicker "heavier" coats. Field dogs are darker in color and smaller, but have "lighter" more easily managed coats. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Jumping in a little late.
We got our boy when my kids weer 4, 7 and 10. You need to be prepared for the fact that your puppy will treat your kids like littermates. The more your kids run, jump yell, scream or wrestly, the more hyped up your pup will get and the more it will mouth. Before you bring a puppy home, have a plan for how you will keep your kids and pup separated when not supervised (baby gates, a closed off room, etc.), make sure your kids know the "rules" for interacting with the pup...mine included staying calm, never picking the pup up, which rooms pup was allowed in, always taking pup outside when he came out of his crate, how to react when he got nippy, etc. Go over the rules with your kids.

Puppy proof your house.
Invest in a crate.

If you have the time and patience to handle the house training and nipping for the first 8 months or so.....then a golden is GREAT!

Rocket is from a conformation breeder. His coat is medium/light gold. He has thick feathering, but his overall coat is not particularly thick. I brush once a week or less. In his first year, I've only ever found one mat in his fur. The only odor I ever really notice is his breath (brushing his teeth helps with that) and ears (cleaning the ears takes care of that). I bathe, or have him bathed, every 4-6 weeks. He has passed 3 levels of obedience class and gotten his CGC.

When looking for a pup, I specified I wanted a lower energy dog. And we got it. Rocket is great indoors, pretty much a couch potato, but willing to play like crazy outdoors or around other dogs.

I think you might be confused when people are referring to field dogs being lighter or their coats being lighter vs. conformation dogs. Typically (and this is a huge generalization) the conformation dogs are lighter in color, calmer in nature, but have thicker "heavier" coats. Field dogs are darker in color and smaller, but have "lighter" more easily managed coats. Does that make sense?
Thanks for suggestions. I love the picture! Yeah, for a while I wasn't sure if lighter meant color, coat, or bulk! I just had a thought...maybe I should consider getting an older pup or adult from a hobby breeder. I wonder if any would have an adult that is retired from the show ring that would still have been socialized to kids and would tolerate them, but we wouldn't have to worry about a nippy pup. Or possibly an older pup a breeder kept to show but now it's not going to work out to show them so they need a home. I see this going smoother for my family since I have multiple little ones.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Thanks for suggestions. I love the picture! Yeah, for a while I wasn't sure if lighter meant color, coat, or bulk! I just had a thought...maybe I should consider getting an older pup or adult from a hobby breeder. I wonder if any would have an adult that is retired from the show ring that would still have been socialized to kids and would tolerate them, but we wouldn't have to worry about a nippy pup. Or possibly an older pup a breeder kept to show but now it's not going to work out to show them so they need a home. I see this going smoother for my family since I have multiple little ones.
My dad did that with his chocolate lab. He got her when she was 1 year old. THe breeder decided she didn't have the personality for the show ring. She was SO perfect! She was completely trained...my parents went on to have her certified for therapy work and did all kinds of nursing home and troubled youth home visits with her. And they never had to train her. :)

It is definitely an option worth checking out! You might just have to be a bit more patient, and possibly expand your search area.

Good luck finding the perfect dog!

·
Registered
123 Posts
That can be a good way to go. Also sometimes breeders rehome their retired breeding dogs. Rescue is another option, especially if you can find one that has been given up and has a known history. I can maybe do some looking for you and see what I can find, although I'm from OH so I'm not familiar with breeders/rescues in your area.

·
Kristy
9,158 Posts
Thanks for the link. Love that picture...exactly what I'd be looking for! Thanks so much for guiding me through. I thought a golden was a golden! Who knew there were so many decisions about which golden!
It's fun to learn, and there's a ton of information. Just hang out on this forum and you will learn so much about dogs in general and Goldens in particular. This forum has been a huge wealth of knowledge for me. Yes, you're going to get a lot of differing opinions, but that just tells you what you need to check out more in depth and then decide for yourself. Try to visit different breeders with different type dogs (preferably someone with NO puppies available so you're not tempted) and ask them a million questions, meet their dogs and gather information. It takes time and will help you keep from rushing into a decision. So much fun to have a project like this :)

http://gtcgrc.org/meetings-events.htm

Check out the link above - they have a ton of interesting events coming up and you could pop into any or all and meet people. Dog folks are extremely friendly, if you smile and extend your hand and let people know you are there to learn about their beloved breed you will make a ton of new friends. It's so much fun!

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Been there with a 5 yo golden, a 7.5 week old golden and two boys, one 2 years and nine months, the other nine months. I lived in my old house then, so it was easy to gate the pup away from the children when necessary. My current house is open concept, so much trickier.. It can be done, but it is a lot of work. My first golden was a conformation reject that I got at six months, she was perfect (didn't have kids then). My guys are primarily conformation lines with some working titles thrown in. They are not high octane...they get up off the couch, go out and do their business, then come back in and sleep on the couch. The boys are super loyal...

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
MominGermany
Is she the one in your avatar? Beautiful dog! I love the lighter color.
Yes,that's Ms. Ellie! She is a German bred dog, and they seem to favor the lighter color in Europe. 😃 She's 70 lbs now at 15 months. She did go through a big difference in shedding between coming from the cooler climate in Germany to now living in California. She spends a lot of time playing outside now, so she does get that dog smell. She gets bathed once a month, and in between I use baby powder spray. She gets brushed once a day, she loves it. And now that she's been shedding more, I rake her. Her hair hasn't been unmanageable, but I love doting on her every day with the brush.

I will agree, the longer hair the golden has is much easier to get up than some of the shorter, harder hair dogs. That type of hair seems to stick out of everything!

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Been there with a 5 yo golden, a 7.5 week old golden and two boys, one 2 years and nine months, the other nine months. I lived in my old house then, so it was easy to gate the pup away from the children when necessary. My current house is open concept, so much trickier.. It can be done, but it is a lot of work. My first golden was a conformation reject that I got at six months, she was perfect (didn't have kids then). My guys are primarily conformation lines with some working titles thrown in. They are not high octane...they get up off the couch, go out and do their business, then come back in and sleep on the couch. The boys are super loyal...
So you had a pup and a 2 year old and a 9 month old? That would be very similar to my situation, but throw in a couple older, more responsible kids as well. My kids will be 8, 7, 5, 3, and 1 year when I'm looking to actually bring a pup home. Would you do it again? Was it crazy? I think it would be fun, cute and sweet to have that puppy, but I realize it will be more work, chaos and frustration as well. I'm not sure what to do!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Check out these goldens Available Dogs
Thanks for the link. I looked through them. Most of the ones I clicked on seemed a little timid and under-socialized. I love the idea of rescue, but I'm not sure if it's a good fit for my situation due to the fact I have many little ones and a busy/noisy household.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You've gotten lots of good information. Our Maddie was awful as a puppy. I was her favorite squeaky toy. LOL. We honestly thought something was wrong with her. She's laying on my feet (yes, on them) right now. She has matured into the best dog I could ask for. It takes time & lots of work, but so worth it. The bond is incredible.:)

Best of luck with your decision.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've had my golden for 5 months now. Her name is Sophie. I spent nearly two years narrowing down what I thought would be best...then find the best breeder. She's been to three vets who've all talked about how calm she is and how it's a sign of a good breeder.
She did go through a stage of nipping (all dogs do) but now she mouths without biting down so it's okay. I've had to beef up (physically) to keep up with her, make our home puppy proof, etc. and so I have to say you'll have your hands full for awhile. But the days will pass and you'll be filled with a happy home & beautiful dog to boot. They are
sensitive, emotional and have loving hearts. They want to please. My breeder told me not to allow her to jump off the couch or even jump at all if I can help it. It's hard on their bones. The frisbee thing is a great idea so I just throw it straight out so she will retrieve but not jump in the air. Guarding for her health is all. I brush daily (this can be rotated with your kids) and it's a bonding time for us. There are a couple of natural products I use to spray on her coat that smells like heaven & she adores. After checking her ears (for cleaning) I brush. Then a little massage and she falls asleep like a baby. We swim almost daily here in Florida but I just rinse her off afterwards in the shower (with me). She has her own towel. I give her a real shampoo about once a month. Hope this helps. She's worth the time, energy, expense and then some. A godsend for us.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
So you had a pup and a 2 year old and a 9 month old? That would be very similar to my situation, but throw in a couple older, more responsible kids as well. My kids will be 8, 7, 5, 3, and 1 year when I'm looking to actually bring a pup home. Would you do it again? Was it crazy? I think it would be fun, cute and sweet to have that puppy, but I realize it will be more work, chaos and frustration as well. I'm not sure what to do!
Would I do it again, yes! But I do tell clients that I do not love my pups until,close to one year. It WAS crazy... But if you have older kids who can take the pup out, it is a bonus... Puppies chase moving kids... Rightly,or wrongly, I,used to tell my kids if,they ran, the,pup would,bite,them....,that taught,them to,be,calm.....

·
Gone to the Goldens ;)
1,150 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Thanks everyone. This has been one of the more friendly dog forums I've been on! (I've been on several since my search for an appropriate breed began!) We have made a decision on which breed to get, and it's the whippet. I do love golden retrievers and would have loved to own one, but I love my husband too and had to compromise! :) He greatly prefers the whippet due to it's easy-care coat, and since I was open to both, we'll go with the whippet. Thanks everyone for the warm welcome, great advice, and friendly encouragment. I'm still confident a golden would have been a wonderful addition to our home and I would have loved to stay apart of your community. Enjoy your beautiful goldens!

41 - 60 of 60 Posts