Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Wyatt Earp
3,595 Posts
1) the shedding.

If you cannot stand a lot of fur don't get a golden. :)

2) the infamous doggy odor. How bad is it?

Never experienced this with a golden. I think again it may be an individual dog thing vs a breed.
This!

And it is true about them being individuals when it comes to their coats and whether they are high or low maintenance in regards to bathing. Both my goldens were fed exactly the same and Cody my conformation bred golden was high maintenance and had to be bathed more. Wyatt my field bred golden is very low maintenance ( in more ways than one )and so far has never stunk a day in his life.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
ServiceDogs-
Thanks for those links! Very helpful in recognizing the differences! My fave seems to be the American conformation. That is what I think of when I think of a golden. Beautiful!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I prefer males as family pets for several reasons. Obviously all of this depends on the individual so keep that in mind. 1) they tend to be calmer 2) They are more laid back and easy going 3) Females love you, males are in love with you 4) My males have always been significantly more gentle with kids right of the bat, my females have to learn that (although this is not always the case) 5) They also tend to be more steadfast, reliable, and less moody than females. 6) Females also tend to be more dominant and want to "run the roost". 7) Boys tend to be a little more loving.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
This!

And it is true about them being individuals when it comes to their coats and whether they are high or low maintenance in regards to bathing. Both my goldens were fed exactly the same and Cody my conformation bred golden was high maintenance and had to be bathed more. Wyatt my field bred golden is very low maintenance ( in more ways than one )and so far has never stunk a day in his life.
OK, now I'm confused. So youwould recommend a field golden? Did you have a harder time with more energy, etc. when young compared to the conformation golden?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I prefer males as family pets for several reasons. Obviously all of this depends on the individual so keep that in mind. 1) they tend to be calmer 2) They are more laid back and easy going 3) Females love you, males are in love with you 4) My males have always been significantly more gentle with kids right of the bat, my females have to learn that (although this is not always the case) 5) They also tend to be more steadfast, reliable, and less moody than females. 6) Females also tend to be more dominant and want to "run the roost".
Ah, so just like human females, right?! ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
wmag-
I love that pic of your golden. I want one that looks like that. Is she a field or a conformation?

(I tried to send you a pm, but it wouldn't let me!)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Ah, so just like human females, right?! ;)
A little too like human females...

I definitely would not get a field golden if I were you. Unless you want a dog that has to get AT LEAST 2 hours of exercise, even as a 5 or 6 year old. Picture the most energetic dog you have ever met and thats approximately a field goldens energy level. I love them and love to watch them work, but I've never been brave enough to make that big of a time commitment to exercise.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Tahnee Gr (a well respected member of the forum whose opinion I trust) has recommended Westmarch golden before on here and I have met a Westmarch grandaughter who was stunning and a wonderful breed example. You could look into them.

Here is her contact information: (Copied from a Tahnee post btw)
Westmarch Goldens
Judy Super
Plymouth, Minnesota
763-473-3274
Email: [email protected]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hmmm, yes I'm very interested in these short-haired conformation goldens. Any breeders in the MN area?

Vhuynh2-
Good to know, thanks much.

·
Wyatt Earp
3,595 Posts
OK, now I'm confused. So youwould recommend a field golden? Did you have a harder time with more energy, etc. when young compared to the conformation golden?
I don't think it was harder. They were both balls full of energy landsharks when they were puppies.:) Just different personalities. My Cody was more independent and Wyatt is a total velcro dog. Both my golden puppies were a lot of work and I don't have young kids at home. I commend all the golden owners who have raised puppies and young children.:) Once you get thru the puppy stage it will be wll worth it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
OK, thanks I'll check out westmarch. They are conformation? Do they happen to have the short-haired goldens?

Also, what should I expect to pay for a well bred golden?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
My female is a field type golden. Less hair. Not super fluffy and polar bear looking. She is independent enough, but can be clingy as well. She is her own person,but chosen me as her partner. She does require mental and physical stimulation. She's just about 15 months now and she's definitely got quite the personality, but she is a calm female from what I've been told. Love her to pieces!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
175 Posts
They are more like "what's in it for me" and it would be easier, I'm assuming, to train a golden. Did that greyhound you took care of seem to listen to you and obey? How about in comparison to the golden?
It sounds like you've got a very good feel for the differences in the breeds personality wise. Sonya (greyhound) was very obedient- she was a greyhound rescued racer- she fit right into my friend's house immediately. But- you're never going to let her off leash outside a fenced yard. But if you told her to stay off the couch, she would. And it's not like you had to train her not to jump on people- she just had no interest in doing that.

Yep- very cat-like and a little aloof- but still really friendly and nice. I think greyhounds are easy dogs.

VS my golden. Who is ALSO very easy. The folks at my training club will sometimes tease golden owners for taking the easy way out. Lucky really wants to work and he really wants to please me. So he's very trainable, but he NEEDS to train to be happy in a way Sonya just completely and utterly did not. I cannot in a million years imagine getting a rally title on a greyhound- much less agility. I mean- I'm sure it can be done, but not by me.

Lucky is just so bloody much FUN that he got me into dog sports. And we're doing all sorts of stuff I'd never do with a greyhound. But if I didn't have the time or inclination to do all of that training - well, Sonya was darned near an effortless dog.

Greyhound- probably hard to train, but was largely a moot point.
GR- easy to train, wants to do LOTS AND LOTS of training!

·
Registered
7,641 Posts
I think if you find a great breeder, they will be able to help you choose the pup best for your home, regardless of field vs conformation, English vs American.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
It sounds like you've got a very good feel for the differences in the breeds personality wise. Sonya (greyhound) was very obedient- she was a greyhound rescued racer- she fit right into my friend's house immediately. But- you're never going to let her off leash outside a fenced yard. But if you told her to stay off the couch, she would. And it's not like you had to train her not to jump on people- she just had no interest in doing that.

Yep- very cat-like and a little aloof- but still really friendly and nice. I think greyhounds are easy dogs.

VS my golden. Who is ALSO very easy. The folks at my training club will sometimes tease golden owners for taking the easy way out. Lucky really wants to work and he really wants to please me. So he's very trainable, but he NEEDS to train to be happy in a way Sonya just completely and utterly did not. I cannot in a million years imagine getting a rally title on a greyhound- much less agility. I mean- I'm sure it can be done, but not by me.

Lucky is just so bloody much FUN that he got me into dog sports. And we're doing all sorts of stuff I'd never do with a greyhound. But if I didn't have the time or inclination to do all of that training - well, Sonya was darned near an effortless dog.

Greyhound- probably hard to train, but was largely a moot point.
GR- easy to train, wants to do LOTS AND LOTS of training!
Ok, thanks. This is kinda what I thought, too. Whippet might be harder to train, but maybe needs a lot less training to begin with. What a hard decision!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Here is a link to the Greater Twin Cities golden retriever club. They can give you a referral to reputable breeders in your area. Greater Twin Cities Golden Retriever Club
Here is a pic of a conformation line golden retriever with a shorter, easy to care for coat so you can see what I mean.
Thanks for the link. Love that picture...exactly what I'd be looking for! Thanks so much for guiding me through. I thought a golden was a golden! Who knew there were so many decisions about which golden!

21 - 40 of 60 Posts