Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dillon HATES the rain... he can't stand it, and refuses to go outside in it if he can help it. This causes some issues with going potty. If I open the back door for him to go outside, he'll stick his nose out and if he feels raindrops he high tails it back indoors.

If I try to leash him up and take him out, he digs his heels in and acts like I'm forcing him into the scariest thing ever. He has held his pee for like almost 2 days during some bad rainstorms.. and luckily we don't usually have non-stop crazy rain here so I can work around it if there are short breaks in the rain, or the storm will generally blow through after a day or so.

We are forecasted for major rain for the whole week really, and I'm concerned about Dillon. Should I just force him to go outside? Or should I just let him figure out that he'll have to do it at some point or another, regardless of whether its still raining or not?

Any health risks here to letting him just hold it until he really just can't hold it anymore and braves the rain?? UTI?

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
I would just take him out and stay out with him. Thats what I had to do with one of my dogs and after a while she would go out in the rain. That may not be the right thing, but thats what I did.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Gee, never thought this was a problem with goldens. I have to drag Flora in from the rain b/c she loves it so much.

After Flora's knee surgery she didn't pee for about 36 hours. We finally brought her in to the vet to have her bladder manually emptied, but the vet didn't seem too concerned about it. So... I guess it's possible for them to hold it that long, and Flora didn't suffer any ill effects. Of course she also hadn't eaten normal meals and drank normal quantities of water, so that helped.

This might sound dumb, but have you tried holding an umbrella over him?

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gee, never thought this was a problem with goldens. I have to drag Flora in from the rain b/c she loves it so much.

After Flora's knee surgery she didn't pee for about 36 hours. We finally brought her in to the vet to have her bladder manually emptied, but the vet didn't seem too concerned about it. So... I guess it's possible for them to hold it that long, and Flora didn't suffer any ill effects. Of course she also hadn't eaten normal meals and drank normal quantities of water, so that helped.

This might sound dumb, but have you tried holding an umbrella over him?

LOL I don't even own an umbrella.... that's how not often it rains here!! Which is probably why my dogs are so freaked out by it... Sam doesn't hate it like Dillon does, but he gets really confused and stares at the sky like "whats the deal with all this water falling on me!?"

I think I will just wait and hope we get a good break in the rain for a second tonight so he'll atleast get a chance to go (he hasn't gone since 8 this morning... its now 6pm) If not, I will make him go tomorrow morning.. I feel bad, I don't want to like, force him, and freak him out more... but I also am sure its not very comfy for him to be holding it all so long, and he would never just go inside.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Mine does the exact thing. I have pulled him outside and put him on a lead just to go and than let him back in right away (I'm not going to leave him out on the lead in the pouring rain but a minute or 2 to go to the bathroom is fine) Or I will get a really yummy treat and throw it out in to the yard so he'll run after it, squat, and then come back in. Otherwise he will go in the house.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HA! As I was typing my last post I noticed that it didn't sound like it was raining outside, so I just checked and its stopped for a sec.. Dillon is outside right now :)

But, I still am interested to know the right thing to do in this situation, since we have this huge storm going through for the next few days.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Marlene, I vote for the umbrella idea. Just get a big one so you both fit under it but not so big you go hang gliding out to sea. :p:

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Marlene, I vote for the umbrella idea. Just get a big one so you both fit under it but not so big you go hang gliding out to sea. :p:

LOL! Good point, today we were having extremely high winds, I don't know how much good an umbrella would even do.. don't they just flip under in crazy wind? (LOL I love how I have no idea how umbrellas work.. I'm such a southern Californian)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Missmarstar - I am from the Seattle area and as I am sure you are aware, we have rain for almost 9 months out of the year. We've also had miserable downpour the last few weeks. It's not fun, but I bundle up in a rain jacket and go out each time with our puppy. He stops at the door but once I continue on (out into the rain) he continues on.

Good luck...I hear that storm is heading our way - oh great! We actually had a rain free day today and it was sooo nice (but had high winds last night).

·
Lost in Fur Land
168 Posts

Comming up tonight on the news at 10. First there was balloon boy, and now there is umbrella girl. How does the flight end? Stay tuned. :p: I couldnt help myself.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
I know what you are going through in a way. When we have snow or sleet covering the ground....Lucky holds his poop. He can't deal with pooping on ice.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I would try doing things to make him more comfortable in the rain. Start out when there's just a light sprinkle, and go out with some extra tasty treats (this might call for the extra extra high value stuff - like some roast). Just go out for a few seconds, treat and play, come back in. Up the time spent outside and the amount of rain coming down as he gets more comfortable.

·
Angel Gage's Grandma
8,017 Posts
Mila doesn't like the rain either (despite being 1/2 Lab), so she makes a quick trip outdoors while staying close to the house, under the eaves.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I'll also add, my Lhasa doesn't like to be out in the rain, but I have a covered patio out back, so he'll just put his back feet in the grass to go while keeping the rest of himself out of the rain (or sometimes he just poops on the patio itself). But if I didn't have that patio, yeah, he'd be going out in the rain.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
we brought one of our past fosters home during a never ending down pour & she too was terrified of water. I set up the dining fly (like the canopys they now sell everywhere for around $100) up right outside the door, used straw bales to make a barrier, & busted a bale for the ground. it solved the "princess getting wet" issue & saved my carpets!

·
Registered
346 Posts
I've never really had this problem with Jacey. She likes it if we just sit out back under the covered deck and she'll lay there watching it rain. Maybe if you went out into the yard first and let him see that the rain is ok and can be fun to be in.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts