Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have read Lincolns story in the health section you know why I am asking this, for those who dont, please go read it.

Should I put Lincoln on another food? I know its prolly a horrible idea to change it now but is there a food out there that one would recommend for their dog whos had massive runny poos with no other cause that stopped when put on a certain food?

I read a lot about Purina Pro Plan sensitive skin and stomach...

any opinions?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I only read a bit of your post in the other section. We had a dog that had issues with food allergies and I know how hard it can be. Do you know which foods are causing it? We have put our dog on a raw diet and it helped dramatically. You can usually find cheap frozen meats (chicken, beef, fish, etc) and make sure to give raw bone with it. There is a lot of info and different methods online. I found it was alot cheaper than "prescriptions" diets. Dogs on raw eat much less than kibble diets. If you have any questions or concerns you can feel free to PM. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
This is only my personal experience. When Flora was a puppy she had chronic diarrhea. When she wasn't having liquid stools, her stools were of a pudding consistency at best.

When she was put on medication for diarrhea (not for parasites, just diarrhea) she firmed up. Finally, after about 6 months of diarrhea and a gazillion vet trips, we decided to put Flora on PPP Sensitive formula, and I have not looked back! She has firm stools 2x a day. As I've said in other posts, she is still sensitive. If she gets too many treats or eats another dog's food, she will almost instantly get diarrhea.

Good luck with Lincoln, I know it's very frustrating for you.

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im debating putting him on Purina Pro Plan. A 40lb bag costs me $59.99. Right now I am paying $62.99 for a 27lb bag of what I am feeding currently. I dont like Purina, but maybe this is what will help him along...

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I really like the proplan formulas as well. We highly recommend them to those clients at our vet who are wondering about what food to feed/change to. I have had Beamer on the puppy large breed and the sensitive stomach formula (he was having runny stools, but it turns out he is allergic to rawhides... I think). Anyway, we are switching back to the proplan puppy formula now, but I did like the sensitive stomach formula as well!

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay Im going to go grab a bag of this stuff in a bit. I will keep him on this food now for at least 2 months. I really like the reviews on it so I have to let go of my ego and get over it and buy the food

·
Premium Member
18,410 Posts
I use the Pro Plan SS for my foster dogs, since we don't know what they were eating before I get them, I know we are suddenly changing food, they have all done well on the PPSS, so I hope this will help him too.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Okay Im going to go grab a bag of this stuff in a bit. I will keep him on this food now for at least 2 months. I really like the reviews on it so I have to let go of my ego and get over it and buy the food
Please make sure to transition (by mixing the kibble he is on now with the PP) slowly, otherwise you will get even more of what you are seeing now.

·
Registered
783 Posts
After 1 1/2 years of vet bills, worry and trying various recommended/vet recommended diets, I researched and based on reviews decided to try Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet (LID) Potato and Duck. Piper has not vomited or had an intestinal indiscretion ;) ONE TIME since starting this food. I would highly recommend this as a single source of novel protein/carbohydrate.

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am going to try the Pro Plan for now. I did check into Natural Balance but the cost was $80 for a 27lb bag and that right now isnt affordable. Lets see how the pro plan checks out :). My Rottie was on the Natural balance LID diet

·
Registered
783 Posts
Lets see how the pro plan checks out :)

That sounds like a good plan. I pay $51.99 free shipping for 28 lb. Seems like there are so many good foods available now :wavey:.

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I looked into ordering online. Its the same cost to order it through a Canadian website but if I bring it in from the US by the time I pay freight charges cause the bag is heavy it evens out :(

·
Registered
783 Posts
Yeah I looked into ordering online. Its the same cost to order it through a Canadian website but if I bring it in from the US by the time I pay freight charges cause the bag is heavy it evens out :(
Oh, got it! I just noticed that you are north of me ;). My bestest friend is Canadian-born.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts