Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Mia & Mollie's human mom
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... or tell them to shut up?

I know this subject has been discussed on here before quite a few times, but...

I get a little worried because (especially lately) soooo many people have commented on how they thought Mia was still a 6 or 7 month old puppy...

She's only about 51 lbs, which I know is within the norm for a female GR... but she looks so tiny in comparison with 99% of other GRs we meet at the park, including females... and her hair is so short too.

Her very rough measurements are:
22 inches high at the shoulder
48 inches long from tip of nose to tip of tail (37 inches long from tip of nose to "butt")

The past two weekends we met with two women who had GRs and they both were younger than Mia, but DOUBLE her size and their coats were MUCH fuller and longer....

Should I be worried or is Mia the only "normal/standard" GR around here and all of the others are just bigger than they should be??? :confused:

Maybe I'm just being a worried mom here.... :(

·
Registered
16,316 Posts
I wouldn't be worried, she is just on the smaller side.

She is a cutie and her hair will grow in as she matures, wish Chloe was a little more on the small end, she weighs more then my boys:doh:

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
I think she is beautiful. :)

Don't worry- everyone thinks Vito is a puppy and he is almost 2! That, and they think he is a girl.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I think my girl is going to be small. She is 11 months and just weighs 45 pounds. She is healthy so I don't worry.
By the way, don't ever change your avatar, that is just the cutest photo ever. I laugh every time I see that tongue sticking out.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Like humans, Goldens can come in all shapes and sizes.. :) I've got a full grown male who is 2.5 now and weighs 55lbs soaking wet. The little ones fit better on our laps! And it's definitely so much healthier for them to be on the lean side, too.

·
New Mommy
6,139 Posts
She's just perfect. Ignore them ! I have two girls, 3 and 16 under 50 pounds. They are perfect too !!!

·
Registered
958 Posts
Should I be worried or is Mia the only "normal/standard" GR around here and all of the others are just bigger than they should be??? :confused:
You should be pleased with Mia's growth.

Both of our's are in that 21" - 22" height range.

Ruby weighs 53 lbs. at 16 months and is just about perfect.

Gracie weighs 51 lbs. at 11 months.

As for coat, there can be a lot of variation. Gracie comes from a line of heavy coat goldens. She probably has twice the coat at 11 months that Ruby has at 16 months.

·
Premium Member
Lush, Mystic, Hiphop, Dreamer, Sayer, Fable, Magic, Chelsea, Chapin, Cambridge, and Velvet
16,453 Posts
Tango is a petite girl too, at 54 lbs. I also get comments like the ones you get about Mia. Is she a baby? What a cute puppy. . . Someone even commented a few days ago that Tally is small( He's 65 lbs). I think people have a messed up vision of what size a golden is meant to be. I'm grateful Tango is small bc she has elbow issues, and the vet keeps saying how much in her best interests it is to be lighter weight.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I agree with Jill. Everyone is so used to seeing huge "sausage" goldens, as I call them, that when they see a golden of proper height and weght, they think either it is a puppy or a mix of some sort. No need to worry- Mia is just right.

·
Mandy's Mom
1,488 Posts
I get comments about Flirt's size and weight, also, most people think she is a puppy (almost 5 years old) but I LOVE having her at 54 lbs, as someone else said makes that lap dog much more lap-able.

I just tell people she's petite instead of saying she's within breed standards. :)

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I too have been worried, cause Layla is our little midget. At a year old Layla is maybe 20 inches (I doubt that) and about 54 lbs. Aiyana was a big golden girl at 85 lbs. no fat on her, just a really big girl. We knew not all goldens were as big as Aiyana, but were expecting Layla to be about the size of our Lab Dream - 70 lbs.

Our husky Wolfie was always 45 - 50 lbs. very lean...she was still catching birds mid air at 15.5 years old...until she got AIHA and died a month later. I have no doubt if Wolfie had not gotten that disease she would have lived to 18. In my experience the smaller leaner dogs do tend to live much longer... and I am looking forward to a long healthy life for Layla my perpetual pup.

·
Susan
1,187 Posts
Jamie is on the short side, too. He is usually smaller than the other goldens at the dog park. I think a lot of backyard bred goldens are larger than the breed standard for whatever reason and people are more used to seeing that. Once we met a female owned by a hobby breeder and she was smaller than Jamie.

Whatever, we can control their weight somewhat but not their height so just enjoy your sweet girl.

·
Registered
140 Posts
People say the same thing about Cali like "why is she so small?" she is small compared to most goldens but shes perfect, perfect weight and perfect height..she is solid muscle too, she looks like she weighs about 40 pounds but shes about 60!!
So dont worry!! She is just healthy and like someone else said the smaller she is the better for her joints! :)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
She's within the standard; most of the time, what people are seeing are goldens that are out of the standard--oversize by height and weight. You've got a perfect opportunity to educate the public as to what the standard is.

My Mac is approaching 20 months, she's also close to 22 inches at the withers, and about 58 lbs, and many people tell me she looks like she is closer to 12 to 14 months in age. I'm happy with her rate of growth, and since it's slow, she'll probably look like an adult golden more at the age of 3, and there's nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
140 Posts
yeahh this makes me remember a question i have..
If you read about what goldens were bred for which is hunting and retrieving and what thier attributes are supposed to be, one being fur that repels water..why do they show goldens that are not at all what goldens are supposed to be? I thought judges go by how close the dog is to what the breed stands for and was bred for? All the goldens i see that win at the shows are huge and light in color and have tons of hair..they look totally different then what a golden was ORIGINALLY bred to look like.:confused:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts