Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This afternoon we made our first try at some raw. We got turkey necks and I got everyone all situated with their turkey necks and Danny promptly swallowed his! I think he chewed twice.

I got another one because he was so upset that the other two were still eating and he didn't have anything. I held the second one so he was forced to actually chew it, bite of pieces and swallow them.

I am worried it won't pass through his digestive tract. It was a smaller turkey neck, probably 5 inches long. Please, someone tell me that he'll be okay!

Also, can someone suggest a couple of other parts with bones that I can use as starter raw. I'll still be feeding them kibble and using raw to supplement a couple of times a week for now.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
This afternoon we made our first try at some raw. We got turkey necks and I got everyone all situated with their turkey necks and Danny promptly swallowed his! I think he chewed twice.

I got another one because he was so upset that the other two were still eating and he didn't have anything. I held the second one so he was forced to actually chew it, bite of pieces and swallow them.

I am worried it won't pass through his digestive tract. It was a smaller turkey neck, probably 5 inches long. Please, someone tell me that he'll be okay!

Also, can someone suggest a couple of other parts with bones that I can use as starter raw. I'll still be feeding them kibble and using raw to supplement a couple of times a week for now.

Thanks!
Oh he should be just fine! Vito does the same with turkey necks. If he eats it too fast, he pukes it back up and eats it again...sometimes a half hour later. Gross, I know, but totally normal.

IMO chicken necks and wings tend to be too small for bigger dogs. Chicken quarters are great to start on. Maybe remove the excess fat and some of the skin since it can upset their system. I also had to remove the the leftover organs that resided when we first started. However, he is just fine now.

Today he had fish for the second time (first time he wasn't interested). Had to put some garlic powder on it, but he ate it all up!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
He should be just fine. My dogs definitely do not chew off bits to swallow when they eat most things. They crunch the bones a few times and down the whole thing goes. Occassionally it comes back up, but not often.

I feed a lot of chicken quarters. Pork spareribs are good too. Sometimes turkey wings if I can find them for a reasonable price. I don't usually feed turkey legs since they are HUGE and the bone at the end tends to get swallowed whole then vomited up later.

Reactions: fostermom

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Yep, totally normal! Ranger used to take a lot more time eating his meals but he quickly figured out the "chomp, chomp, swallow" method. The only issue he has is if the meal item is particularly long...as he'll swallow it, but there's still stuff in his mouth. Then it all comes sliding back out and he tries again. Blech.

If you're sticking with fowl as your "intro" meat:
- chicken quarters
- duck wings
- turkey wings

I find dogs tend to do well on whole fish, too. I usually feed mackerel, herring and sardines and have fed smelts before, too. Ranger loves eating the heads off the fish first and then everything else.

I'd stay away from any weight-bearing bones of large animals. Like beef neck bones (the bones are very hard to digest and Ranger's puked up a few sharp shards hours after eating them), turkey drumsticks (like IowaGold mentioned), and so on. I do feed Ranger turkey drumsticks but only because I know he'll take care chewing on it...though I can usually guarantee he'll vomit up a piece of undigestable bone at some point the next day.

Yay for starting to feed raw!

Reactions: fostermom

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! It hasn't come back up yet and he ate his breakfast this morning, so it's apparently not bothering his tummy yet.

Thank you so much for the suggestions. The local grocery store had chicken leg quarters on sale, so I'll pick up several packs. I will remove the skin to start, just because I don't want it to be too rich to start. I'll look for turkey wings and spareribs (if I can find those for an affordable price).

I'll be giving them raw a few days a week in the evenings to start and build up from there. I've wanted to do raw for a long time and just decided yesterday, after Danny breathed on me and it almost knocked me out, that I needed to go ahead and jump into it.

Thanks again for all the great advice!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts