Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We finally thought we found the breeder we are going with and just found out that they could only see two puppies in the sonogram. It will be confirmed with x-rays in two weeks. We want a male because we have a female. What concerns, if any, should I have? Thank you!

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Are you asking about health Concerns? Or concerns about brinnging home a female if there are only females Born?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
What pick do you have? i would be concerned...but that is just me. I am not sure what breeder you went with, but some might keep a pup for themselves and show pups will be the first to go. What did the breeder say?

I would not be concerned about the sex. I have a female and i personally would not care either way which sex i went with next.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
concerned..

I am most concerned about health of the pup, socialization, etc. We have first pick, the breeder is not keeping one this time. A little concerned about having two girls so we would not have much choice at all.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
first in of all ultrasounds are not accurate in counting pups.... they are accurate in confirming pregnancy but not in puppy count....

our wolfhound ultrasound showed 4 the bitch had 7 so you just don't know... I would talk to your breeder about what her plans are... if there isn't a male.. you might find she is breeding again soon because of a small litter and then you can decide if you want to wait....

my next question would be how old is your current girl... if you have some age difference (a couple of years) then competition is usually not an issue. I have a pack of 9 with 5 males and 4 girls and all the girls get along great... I have a couple boys that are going to give me grey hairs (thank god for hair dye) but the girls are fine...

but talk to your breeder and see what she says

·
Registered
424 Posts
That is a good question. A singleton is an easy call, but how many pups do there need to be before the health and socialization issues arise? I can understand having a sex preference for the second dog.

·
Registered
301 Posts
What day was the ultrasound done on? 28 days from ovulation? Ultrasounds are not accurate for counting pups. Also depends on the quality of the ultrasound machine and the person doing the ultrasound. Many times repro vets have seen 6 - 8 pups at day 28 and end up with 10-12 pups on Xray 2 days prior to whelp.

Concerns? Well, you have a 50/50 chance of getting a male pup but you will have to wait until she whelps. If you can't do that, then perhaps you should start looking at other litters already born. If you paid a deposit already on the current litter, I would discuss 'what if's' now with the breeder if you have your heart set on a male and she has all females.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
I never use ultrasound to count pups, it is just not accurate. My 11 year old Cookie came from a litter of 2 girls. She is the best natured dog.. gets along with everyone and everything. My 5 girls are 11, 9, 6, 4, and almost 2. They all get along and are loose in the house together along with 2 neutered boys ages 9 and 4.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
concerned...

My pup is four. She is a Norweigian Elkhound mix- 38 lbs. She was a rescue from KY. We have had her since she was 10 months old. She will probably accept any pup as she is very sweet and quite submissive. However, we have had some bad luck with two rmixed rescues that we tried to save and had to give back...one was people aggressive, the other dog aggressive. We are just are trying to go the right route and get the best family pup we can get. So, per our vet and trainer we decided to get a Golden. We are thinking male as we are trying to eliminate as many problems as we can!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The ultrasound was done yesterday...pups are due first week of May so I am not sure if it was exactly 28 days or not. The breeder did say that they were unsure and that the x-ray will be more accurate. We have a second breeder in mind if it doesn't work out. Mainly curious what people thought about such a small litter and how it might impact socialization, etc. Also, does a c-section affect the litter? They are thinking it might have to be a c-section because the pups will be big.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
If the litter is small you do have reason to be concerned it will be single sex. That can happen.

Gabby was one of two pups (the third died in the birth canal or earlier) One boy, one girl. The breeder had two reservations, one male one female. I however was not losing this pedigree, I told the breeder if there are two males I will take a male. The pedigree was more important than the sex to me. I was so happy there was a girl for me, and I am extremely happy with my girl.

Small litters get CHUNKY as there are not as many pups to feed. Gabby was one fat puppy. She is lean now.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
C-section makes no difference. My Cookie, one of two, was born naturally.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Yes, I have 7 house goldens. And as a client of mine(who breeds shih tzus) said last week, you must not care how your house looks!!!

·
Registered
301 Posts
The ultrasound was done yesterday...pups are due first week of May so I am not sure if it was exactly 28 days or not. The breeder did say that they were unsure and that the x-ray will be more accurate. We have a second breeder in mind if it doesn't work out. Mainly curious what people thought about such a small litter and how it might impact socialization, etc. Also, does a c-section affect the litter? They are thinking it might have to be a c-section because the pups will be big.
If the pups are due the first week of May, then the timing sounds about right for the ultrasound. Didn't you mention an xray 2 weeks later? That is too early as the pups will not be calcified if in fact the due date is between May 1st - 7th. The breeder may be wasting their money. Anytime after April 28th (which is 3 weeks from the ultrasound) would give them a better idea of how many pups as well as the size of the pups.

I would not be worried about socialization with a small litter with an experienced breeder. Usually small litters get even more attention than a large litter. C-section has no effect on the pups and sometimes it is necessary. Hopefully progesterone was done before the breeding occurred so that they know when ovulation was and the litter would be due 63 days from ovulation +/- 1 day. Their vet can pull a progesterone reading prior to a section to make sure she is ready to whelp if they do decide to section.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
If you have gone with a reputable breeder with nice (temperament) dogs, I would not be concerned about your pup not getting along with you girl, regardless of whether you get a boy or a girl.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts