Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Riot's mom
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I woke up this morning with plans to get some good training in since the weather is perfect and I have all day free. Got out of bed, fed the dog, and ate some breakfast. Then I started feeling like I pinched a nerve in my leg. It wasn't a muscle pain, more like a burning all down my leg. It wasn't so bad that I couldn't walk, so I figured that walking with Riot would help things feel better. Unfortunately, it wasn't the walking that provided the distraction today, it was Riot's frustrating behavior....

We went to a park that I've trained at multiple times before. No one was around so very little distractions. Set out bumpers for 3 handed casting. Sit Ri in the middle. Cast back, he takes it perfectly. Throw the bumper back. Cast to the left. Ri runs over to the correct bumper, puts his mouth on it, drops it, and starts sniffing around in the grass. HUH??!? "Riot, fetch it." Again, picks it up and drops it, continues sniffing/eating grass. Ok little buddy, I didn't want to start FF outside until tomorrow, but I guess its going to have to be today. We had SUCH a BATTLE. I had forced him on a bumper last week, so I don't think it was that. He just didn't want to fetch that bumper! I would pinch, he would grab bumper, start to pick it up, then spit it out the second I stopped pinching. So I backed up, made it easier, helped him hold onto the bumper and pick it all the way up. But darned if he didn't keep trying to spit it out! I couldn't even get him to sit without spitting it out. GAHHHHHH!!!

Got some success, so I moved on to something else. Threw him a fun bumper a few minutes later... Yeah, same thing happened, except he dropped it half way back to me. So back to battling. I tried really hard not to get frustrated and stay calm, but it was hard. Finally I just got two good ones off the ground and said "OK, done." We went for a walk, threw around a tennis ball, and decompressed.

Basically, training this morning was 25 minutes of he11. I felt bad because I kept having to pinch him and he wasn't seeming to get it. I'm sure it was probably my fault and I wasn't being clear enough. I guess my question is, where should I go from here? What should I do tomorrow (or even a short session tonight)? Should I start off with a short FF session tomorrow before anything else or see how he does on his casting first?

Thanks guys!

·
where the tails wag
13,359 Posts
My initial thought reading this, did you check his mouth for an injury?

My Faelan did this once - it ended up he had one of those nasty pricker balls thingees stuck in his umm, privates but he stopped running before he dropped th ebumper.

·
Riot's mom
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My initial thought reading this, did you check his mouth for an injury?

My Faelan did this once - it ended up he had one of those nasty pricker balls thingees stuck in his umm, privates but he stopped running before he dropped th ebumper.
I did think about that. The trouble was that he eagerly retrieved the bumper HE wanted to retrieve. He is weird and sometimes picks a favorite (all of mine are from the exact same pack, so they are exactly the same). If I threw that one, awesome, he's off and running, retrieves just fine. So I think he was just being a butt about what I wanted versus what HE wanted.

·
Riot's mom
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Riot proved today he is a DOG. They all have those days that the DOG takes over. Don't sweat it, he could be awsome tomorrow. Thats what keeps us training, work through the trouble and find that little nugget that keeps the team working.
Jim
Are you saying Riot isn't "special"! ;) You're right. Thanks for the reminder that he is, after, just a dog. And I love him no matter what.

·
Registered
21,054 Posts
So THAT's what they mean by the DOG DAYS OF SUMMER!
Marie, Lord knows we have our share of those days. I know how frustrating it is. I keep saying Tito needs to learn there's no "I" in "T-E-A-M".
It gets better.
(so I hear, lol)

Riot proved today he is a DOG. They all have those days that the DOG takes over. Don't sweat it, he could be awsome tomorrow. Thats what keeps us training, work through the trouble and find that little nugget that keeps the team working.
Jim

·
Titan1
2,353 Posts
Hang in there Marie.. things should look better tomorrow...Better luck tomorrow!

·
the party's crashing us
4,221 Posts
So THAT's what they mean by the DOG DAYS OF SUMMER!
Marie, Lord knows we have our share of those days. I know how frustrating it is. I keep saying Tito needs to learn there's no "I" in "T-E-A-M".
It gets better.
(so I hear, lol)
No "I" in "TEAM" but there is one in "TITO" !!!! :)
Don't worry, I sent Fisher to a blind today, he did wonderful on it, got to the pile, and put on the most ridiculous shopping spree I've ever seen, must have picked up and dropped all 6 bumpers at least twice, and culminated in digging at one in the sand until I yelled at him to HERE DUMBA$$!!!! (FYI my transmitter was dead today! LOL)
Don't worry, just back up with Riot and I'm sure he'll be fine :)

·
Registered
21,054 Posts
Ah, THAT's Tito's problem!!!!!!!
Try "bonehead" instead of "dumba$$". I get a better response to that ;)

No "I" in "TEAM" but there is one in "TITO" !!!! :)
Don't worry, I sent Fisher to a blind today, he did wonderful on it, got to the pile, and put on the most ridiculous shopping spree I've ever seen, must have picked up and dropped all 6 bumpers at least twice, and culminated in digging at one in the sand until I yelled at him to HERE DUMBA$$!!!! (FYI my transmitter was dead today! LOL)
Don't worry, just back up with Riot and I'm sure he'll be fine :)

·
Riot's mom
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did the pinched nerve feeling go away?
Yes, I am feeling MUCH better! Very weird. I've never felt that way before and hope to never again.

Today was better training wise. Not back to where he was, but much better than yesterday. I started with FF and just did a little bit on each of the four bumpers that I was going to use. He struggled on casting and then started dropping bumpers on the way to me. So I pinched him and helped him keep it in his mouth for a few times, just so he would get the idea that he had to keep it in his mouth allllll the way to me and even into heel position. That was the morning session. Then this evening we went out again. His casting was pretty crappy, but his delivery to hand was awesome! So I decided that was a win. Not sure if I'm going to be able to get any training in the next few days. This time change cuts majorly into my training time. Then Saturday is down with the Dahls. Hoping I can get at least one more session in before that. I don't want to go work with some pros with Riot being a brat....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts