Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Kate
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My breeder has been sending us the pictures of all the puppies as they have been growing. I get first pick in the 3 males. He says two of the the males is shorter coupled through the back and the third male is longer through the back. What does "shorter coupled" mean. Are shorter coupled dogs better? Does it change the way the dogs act or move? Please let me know. I am choosing which one soon and I would like to know what that term means. Thanks you

·
goldenfan
770 Posts
The term refers to the distance between the end of the ribcage and the start of the hind leg and is felt just below the muscles of the back (not very scientific but I hope it makes it clear). Goldens should have long ribcages but be short coupled, in the UK standard anyway.
Unless you intend to show the dog it probably doesn't make much difference but longer coupled dogs can look longer in the body compared to their length of leg. Hope this helps Annef

·
Registered
10,554 Posts
The term refers to the distance between the end of the ribcage and the start of the hind leg and is felt just below the muscles of the back (not very scientific but I hope it makes it clear). Goldens should have long ribcages but be short coupled, in the UK standard anyway.
Unless you intend to show the dog it probably doesn't make much difference but longer coupled dogs can look longer in the body compared to their length of leg. Hope this helps Annef
What she said :) For showing, you want a dog short in loin but longer in rib cage-in theory, provides space for the lungs and a stronger back. A longer loin is more likely to be forgiven in a bitch than a dog (on the theory she needs room for puppies), but not always. Also, a longer back is often a weaker back (think dachshunds).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts