Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

We live in NJ and am looking for a puppy. I'm quickly learning that there is very high demand on the east coast and I find myself talking to out of state breeders.

While this is our first Golden, I have dealt with breeders on our other dogs, but I've always been able to visit and a plane ride has never been involved. :)

Perhaps I'm a bit behind the times, but the shipping sight unseen has me uneasy. Plus the thought of the puppy on the plane has me nervous. The breeders come with all of the guarnantees and they say they do this all the time, there are only certain flights they ship on, the puppy visits a vet the day before, it's very safe, etc, etc.

Have any of you done this? Any feedback?

Thanks in advance,

Lou

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
The Northeast does seem to be a higher cost area but there are lots of good breeders around that are within driving distance of New Jersey. I've never shipped a dog and wouldn't unless there were extenuating circumstances but I know it's done. Are you looking for a family pet or do you hope to show or participate in one of the other activities with your dog?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
puppy

Family pet for sure. Family of six looking to add another dog to the mix.

Fenced yard, 4 active kids, weekend lake house, a great environment for an active fun loving dog. :)

I'd appreciate any local breeder recommendations.

Lou

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I would be hesitant about a breeder willing to ship sight unseen--unless perhaps the puppy purchaser had a solid reputation & was able to be vouched for (i.e. a performance home). Also, I can't imagine putting an 8 wk old pup in the cargo hold. Why not fly out to pick the pup up?

Also, I would want to see where the pup was raised, meet the dam (sire if on site).

Have you been to able to verify clearances (not prelims) for these dogs of the breeders willing to ship the pups? Are they solid throughout the pedigree?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I would put my husband in the belly of a plane before my pup (kidding,,,,I'm not and I love my hubby). When I picked Murphy up at the age of eight weeks I drove six hours one way and back again. I just could not ship a puppy. Keep looking, there are plenty of good breeders within driving range. You might have to wait but please do so for the puppy!

·
Registered
488 Posts
We had Zane shipped. He came from Minnesota in Feb. so driving from Orlando was out of the question. There aren't any local Chessie breeders so we had no choice but to buy him from out of state. This breeder was recommended by many people on the Chessie forum. We did TONS of research on this breeder and spoke w/ other people that have bought Chessies from this breeder as well so there were no surprises.

All airlines have a temperature requirement so that plays a factor in shipping. With summer right around the corner make sure you plan it out well or else you'll have to drive / fly down yourself and carry the pup on with you because it'll be too hot to ship.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I would never ever ship a puppy. Bear in mind my opinion is based on what my husband, an airline captain, has observed with animals, including small puppies, shipped in cargo on his flights. He's never seen a puppy in the cargo hold that wasn't frightened, shaking or stressed out. As a result we would never ship a dog...too much can go wrong, from delays in extreme weather or trauma to a young puppy at such a tender age that doesn't resolve and becomes a lifelong handicap.

We did; however, fly our puppy with us in the cabin last October, from our breeder in Pennsylvania, back to DFW and it was a wonderful experience for the puppy and us. We researched flights and the best airport to fly in and out of in proximity to our breeder in Western PA. It turned out to be Cleveland since it has less congestion than Pittsburgh. We did our homework, planned everything out in advance and we spent the time waiting for our flight socializing our puppy to the people sights and sounds in the airport. He is 7 months old now, very calm and confident with no fears.

·
Kristy
9,166 Posts
THere are so many good breeders in the New England area, a really nice puppy is SO worth the wait. ( I speak from personal experience). For my puppy Ellie, I flew down and picked her up and it is a fun and easy experience. Ellie was a rock star in the airport.

I would have to be between a serious rock and a hard place before I would ever ship a living creature in cargo.

Here is a link to a previous thread, you will find some excellent suggestions here : http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/choosing-golden-retriever-breeder-puppy/148858-does-anyone-know-breeder-new-england.html

Here is a photo of Ellie right before we boarded:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This has been extremely valuable feedback, thank you to all. I'm certainly not against a long road trip. New England area, PA are all extremely reasonable. I'll keep looking, but I'd appreciate any and all recommendations on breeders. I'm not in a rush and that's why I posted the question.

Thanks again to all, keep the feedback coming. Private message me too if you prefer.

Lou

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
I actually had a very positive experience flying my Cookie Monster from South Carolina to Boston. Cookie was one of those totally unflappable dogs even as a pup. However,now, I am at different point in my life, where the kids are grown up and I could get away to bring a pup home on a plane with me. Heck, I could even take a road trip now!

I would listen to DallasGold as her husband probably sees it all... And when it gets too hot, I know of dogs who have died in cargo..

·
Registered
16,393 Posts
Jackie Mertens from Topbrass shipped me 8 week old Tango from Georgia to Logan Airport in Boston. It went flawlessly.

·
Registered
947 Posts
We have shipped in or shipped out puppies for the last 7 years. Probably 15 total. I have not had any problems. That being said, I do hold my breath and fret that the next one will be the disaster we have not had.

For the price of shipping I would recommend that you fly into the breeders city and have them meet you at the airport. You meet outside of security, pick up the pup and the health cert and go back thrum security to catch you flight home -same day. The pup is in a soft crate at your feet.

If you buy your ticket early enough you will not pay much more than the shipping but the health cert and the crate are extra. Many breeders charge a small fee for the delivery but it barely covers the gas to and from the airport.

Good luck in your search.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts