Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier this week, I was in the car with a friend and a co-worker travelling. As there was plenty of time to fill, I told them about my cat's digestive issues--trips to vet, Rx and diets that had been tried, and what ended up working. After I finished, my friend dismissed it all with "I don't do anything for my animals, they just have to get by".
Which is very true. Animals come and go. Cats are expected to "hunt" for their food (!!???) or they can eat some of the $10.99 per 50 lb sack kibble that is bought for the dogs that are there til they get hit by a car, or shot by an irate neighbor for killing their chickens or whatever.
Today I needed to stop by my friend's and was hesitant cause she'd mentioned a new dog (her dogs are always untrained, unruly things that jump on my car or me). This one looked like a merle Australian shepherd mix. The poor thing clearly had never had a bath in his life and his fur was dull as were his eyes.
I feel so sorry for her animals. They never get taken to the vet (even for the most basic stuff like rabies shots). It makes me sick.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
that's terrible. I just don't understand how some people think. If she feels that way, honestly, why even have them?

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that's terrible. I just don't understand how some people think. If she feels that way, honestly, why even have them?
They "like to have a dog" in the yard and as soon as one is killed, they get another. The cats, I suppose, are there to keep rats and mice under control (they live in a rural area).
I tell her about the "travelling vet" who charges next to nothing whenever he will be in our area--even call and offer to go over together. Nope

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
I don't understand people like that either. Sadly, I have family members who balk at putting added dollars or effort into their pets. I'm the family nut because I do. I don't mind, I wear my Nut badge with honor...though I do think I'm starting to rub off on a few. :)
Maybe you'll rub off a little on your friend.

·
Premium Member
18,456 Posts
Does she realize it is required by law to have all dogs and cats vaccinated for rabies?

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I couldn't be friends with someone who treated animals that way. I have friends who aren't as dog crazy as I am but they aren't neglectful or abusive.
JMO.

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
Unfortunately, I am far too judgmental and wouldn't be able to bite my tongue with that "friend". Sometimes, it's the cultural norm for an area, but I still don't buy it. If you take on an animal, whether in your home or in your yard (right there, I'd be pitching a fit), you are responsible for getting vet care, providing shelter and decent food, and then there's that's anthropomorphic thing of providing love/companionship/quality of life/whatever you want to call it. Does your friend not hear you or is it a local culture that's acceptable?

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
I'm sorry. :( We have a neighbor that is like that. They let their 4 year old lab run all over town. Drives me (and the neighborhood) NUTS. He's going to get hit by a car or something someday. He always comes over to our house (because he's friends with M2) and I will leash him and walk him back home, but they just put him in their backyard and wait for him to jump the fence again. (Which he easily can do. It's like a 4 foot fence.)

ANYWAY. Once I was telling her about the great pet insurance rates I was getting, and she pretty much laughed in my face about it. She said if anything ever happened to Storm she would just have him put down instead of putting any money into him. She said it's not worth it.

She has two kids. She's my age. She said that spending money on an "animal" is pointless... I asked if she would get insurance for her two little ones. She snorted indignantly and said, "OF COURSE!"

Well, my dogs are MY children. I can't have REAL babies. Ugh. People make me sick sometimes. :( We spend so much money on the dogs... treats... toys... room decorations... But you know what? Spending money on them makes me SO HAPPY. Seeing them go nuts over a new toy. I love it.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
I definitely can relate. I can't get over the number of people that don't have their cats vaccinated because "they're indoor cats." Last time I checked, Rabies was the LAW. You'll get a big-fat fine if caught, and you're putting yourself and your pets at risk. I grew up with pets being a part of the family. I just don't understand people like your friend. There are plenty of people like her in my area. It makes me crazy!!!!

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
I don't understand people like that either. Sadly, I have family members who balk at putting added dollars or effort into their pets. I'm the family nut because I do. I don't mind, I wear my Nut badge with honor...though I do think I'm starting to rub off on a few. :)
Maybe you'll rub off a little on your friend.
Paula, we are the family nuts too and darn proud of it!

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
I personally would not be friends who is that thoughtless and immoral IMO. Of course that doesn't change the suffering of animals of ppl like that, but at least I don't feel like I'm condoning that kind of behavior. I don't see how at the very least you don't say something about it over and over. She's a coworker, not a family member.

·
16,000 Posts
Consider making an anonymous call to animal control. Unlicensed dogs, and pets without rabies vaccines will earn a large fine, or, a request to relinquish possession. Maybe it'd be the wakeup call your friend needs... Or, maybe it'd be enough for her to simply say it's not worth having the animals - good either way...

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm sorry. :( We have a neighbor that is like that. They let their 4 year old lab run all over town. Drives me (and the neighborhood) NUTS. He's going to get hit by a car or something someday. He always comes over to our house (because he's friends with M2) and I will leash him and walk him back home, but they just put him in their backyard and wait for him to jump the fence again. (Which he easily can do. It's like a 4 foot fence.)

ANYWAY. Once I was telling her about the great pet insurance rates I was getting, and she pretty much laughed in my face about it. She said if anything ever happened to Storm she would just have him put down instead of putting any money into him. She said it's not worth it.

She has two kids. She's my age. She said that spending money on an "animal" is pointless... I asked if she would get insurance for her two little ones. She snorted indignantly and said, "OF COURSE!"

Well, my dogs are MY children. I can't have REAL babies. Ugh. People make me sick sometimes. :( We spend so much money on the dogs... treats... toys... room decorations... But you know what? Spending money on them makes me SO HAPPY. Seeing them go nuts over a new toy. I love it.
From someone who has an amazing "real" kid, I want you to know that the love that you feel for your dogs is just as real as the love some people feel for their kids. If some people can't except that, than they are the nutters. There was a dear Abby article years ago about a woman who fed her cats caviar, and wanted a snappy comeback to her children who said she was wasting their inheritance on the cats. Abby said for her to tell them that SHE gets more love, affection and attention from her cats than she does them, and if they didn't straighten up, the cats would get "their inheritance". It makes me smile to know there are other animals as loved as ours.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Unfortunately, an anonymous call doesn't do much of anything in SC, and rarely sends someone out, or at least in my experience it doesn't. If they do go out, they tell you you have to get the rabies in X number of days, and then nothing is done as far as follow up.

It's good to at least give it a shot... hopefully they'll go out and require the owner to get some basic vet care. I know some people like that too, and it drives me nuts. I grew up with one friend whose family had tons of animals, but they didn't do much as far as spaying and neutering their barn cats... they literally had 78 cats at one point.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
I have a "real" baby too, and while he comes first if it comes down to it, I cannot imagine not doing everything for my dogs. I love and adore and pamper them ALL! And spending money on them ALL makes me so happy too!

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
I don't cross those boundaries with a co-worker. We don't have to live with them, but we do have to work with them. Sometimes, it's not that much different.

I'd use the opportunity that I work with them to educate them over and over again. I would rather work with someone who doesn't like me because I'm letting them know that pets deserve better treatment than work with someone who does that who is nice to me because I'm just one more person enabling her by not saying anything.

I realize other people would handle this situation differently and honestly, I would not understand someone who could see that and not do/say something that may have a positive impact on those animals. There is no great enough reason in my mind to turn away when they are feet from you looking you right in the eye.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts