Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We finally got to bring our Golden home:D . If you remember, we took one of Vierka and Jozef's puppies. We've named her Daisy and she is such a handful. She's lucky she's so cute because she's into everything.

We brought her home on Thursday night and she seemed to settle in really well. The one problem that we have right now is that she's mouthing/nipping/biting whenever she gets excited. You cannot even walk without her taking a chomp at your leg. Both my husband and I have little puncture wounds all over us! :eek: Again, she's lucky she's so darn cute!

Today has been a bit better. She's gone outside for her bathroom duties all day, which is great :D . We've also started grabbing her muzzle from the top (to show dominance) and saying NO BITING when she bites now. It seems to be working. We tried the OW! and turning around or leaving the room. This did not seem to work at all. I think we've found the trick, now we have to instill it in her. Any idea how long this will take? I want to start having friends and relatives over with their kids, but would hate for them to get hurt or even just afraid of her.

She absolutely hates being alone :( . We're both back to work on Tuesday, so she really won't have much choice, but we've been leaving her for 5-10 minutes at a time and she gets really upset (crying and barking). I guess she'll learn that being alone isn't all bad. Again, she won't have much choice.

So, that's my life so far with Daisy. I know that things will be great, as she is such a playful, affectionate and GORGEUS being. I'm going to try posting some pictures of her. Hopefully, I'll manage to get them up. Check out the puppy picture board.

Thanks for listening/reading this longwinded boast!

Have a great weekend,
Bonni

·
Old Guy
3,243 Posts
I saw the pix... she's really cute and a curly coat too. I like curls.

Remember, this is a retriever pup... so be prepared to put up with the biting for many weeks to come (at least a month and a half before you begin seeing much improvement) and once those sharp little pup teeth have all been replaced with the much larger and duller adult ones you'll be very grateful indeed... of course that won't be 'til around week 20 or even later... that's about the time it should be safe for the really little kids to safely interact with her (under your supervison of course). Until then just keep giving her mild corrections and have a LOT of patience, she can't help herself, she's a retriever.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Monomer.

I've stopped correcting her by grabbing her muzzle because a) it wasn't working and b) I felt really mean doing that to her, even though she didn't get upset:( . So, we're now just dealing with it the best way we can. We have found that when she gets really out of control, we just leave the room and she calms down within a few minutes.

I had no idea that they are "bitey" for so long. I guess I'll have to live with it for another month or so. As the saying goes, "To the victor go the spoils", so once she's done with the "playing" I'm sure she'll be an excellent dog. Aside from the torn clothes and gashed ankles, she's a pleasure. Now I understand what everyone meant when they said, "if you can survive the first two years, you'll be fine".:eek:

Thanks again and have a great rest of the weekend,
Bonni

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Boogity!

Thanks for the compliment.

If you look at the two pictures above (on the homepage), you will notice a beautiful golden. That is Kia and she is Daisy's mom. So, yes, she is also curly. I believe that Rex, Daisy's dad is also curly, but I've never seen him so I can't say for sure.

Daisy is getting more adorable every day. She demolished a pair of my jeans today, but that's ok. I'm worried about what will happen to all of my work clothes when I come home at the end of the day. I guess it's a mad dash upstairs to change before I even greet her.

I had no idea that having a dog was such an incredible experience. I know it sounds dramatic and somewhat rediculous, but it has brought my husband and I closer together. It's like being parents, which we are not. We're both exhausted and have this tiny little thing completely dependent on us, just like parenting.

Anyway, I'm off on a tangent.

Thanks for the compliments on our newest family member.

Hope you had a great weekend,
Bonni

·
Old Guy
3,243 Posts
Bonni, you do realize that simply fathering and giving birth is NOT parenting... rather its the nurturing and raising of a tiny creature into adulthood that IS the task called 'parenting'. My wife and I always refer to ourselves as 'Mama' and 'Papa' when talking to Sidney and he KNOWS who is who because he always responds appropriately. (Example: "Give Papa the ball." ... it doesn't matter who says it, he will bring it to me.)

And in reference to your other post... yes, 'time outs' are an absolute necessity when puppy gets 'out-of-control'... and she will get 'crazy' quite often until she's about 6 to 10 months of age by then you can begin eliminating the 'time-outs'. I hope you are using a crate... that's the best place to hold her during those 'time-outs' and it should help her calm down relatively quickly. As with all training... consistency, persistence, and lots of patience is the key. Good Luck!

·
Registered
187 Posts
We took our goldens to puppy training class and I'll quote you what we were told about bite inhibition. We found the classes realy helpfull, for training us how to train, for getting the pups used to other people and dogs and for helping with questions about your new family member!

" Puppies playing together will squeal when the other applies too much pressure... this teaches how to control jaw pressure.
Puppies should learn bite inhibition before 18 weeks, as after then adult teeth are present. Puppies must learn that teeth DO NOT EVER ome into contact with skin or clothing.Squeal EVERY time they use their teeth.
If your pup does not seem to be learning, then a stern "get off" with piercing eye contact and then pointedly ignoring the dog [turning away or leaving the room] should get thro'.
Dnt use the word "no" or smack. Saying no will confuse, epecially if the bite was inadvetant..."does she mean ...No dont bite?....No dont play.... No dont sit?"
Smacking wont teach him not to bite, it will teach him to duck and run after biting! "

Sorry to go on, I hope this helps, dont get discouraged, be persistant and consistant and you'll get there!

·
Registered
414 Posts
I don't know how many times my wife and I thought we had brought home a Demon Dog. And just when he was becoming consistant and good, he turned 10 months and seemed to forget everything (One of their stages, adolesence). Now we look back and can't believe what a well behaved and gentle dog Clancy is.

Definitely worth all the agravation and frustration and hours and hours and hours of training and reinforcing.

Of course when they are little pups like Daisy, they can get away with a lot just by being so cute. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Daisy is adorable. I love her wavy coat. We are bringing our boy home tomorrow. He is 8 weeks old, born on 4-1-05. We haven't had a male for 10 years, the last 3 dogs have been girls. We have 2 girls now and I can't wait to introduce them to him. Penny 2.5yo spayed female golden and Sophie 7mos.old spayed Shih Tzu. His name will be Copper. We are getting all the puppy stuff out and cleaning it up. Karen

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, a third dog. At least the other two can act as chew toys instead of you. That's amazing.

Thanks for all the compliments on Daisy. She is lucky that she's so adorable. I'm sure that's why puppies are so cute. If they weren't, they certainly would not survive the first 3 months of their lives because their owners would kill them! ;)

We're starting to learn what works and what doesn't and there's always the option of leaving the room when she gets out of control. Although we don't start training until the end of June, I contacted our trainer to ask her if she had any tips. Here's what she recommended.

1. Exercise her a lot. A tired pup is a well behaved pup. (We have her running in the yard for at least a few hours a day, so she's getting tons of exercise).

2. If she's out of control in the house, leash her and limit her access that way. Ignore her when she's out of control and when she calms down, praise her like crazy. I haven't tried this one yet. I plan on trying it today.

I'll let you know if these methods help.

Hope everyone is well.
Bonni

·
Registered
16 Posts
We have always had 2 Goldens at a time. Gwen died in March at 13 yrs old. Sophie the Shih Tzu is so small we don't really consider her a dog LOL. The nice thing about having multiple dogs is that they play together and help wear each other out. My parents have a Shih Tzu about the same age as ours and she is so hyper, I told them it is because she is an only dog. She needs a buddy to play with. I am so excited I can hardly wait to get our new guy. I really need to get a digital camera to post pics. Karen

1 - 11 of 11 Posts