Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Sam and Jack's Mum!!!!!
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My poor girl had an emergency trip to the vets on Friday. Came home from shopping and found her limping with blood every where! Seems she tore her left claw off, it was just hanging there by a thread. This is the fifth time this year she has done a claw, the last four times were her dew ones, this one is by far the worst. Poor girl, it has been 48 hrs since we saw the vet, she is on anti inflammatories as well as antibiotics. $200 for all that, they charged me $30 alone for the bandage on top of the consulting fee! Not the usual vet we see, same practice but different vet! Her foot is bandaged heavily, the vet said don't take it off til Tuesday, but I am worried she still won't put it down still.. The problem is the weather is scorching hot here, it's 7.30pm and its still 108 degrees or 42 celcius! Sam loves the water and I have not been able to put her in her pool. the vet said don't get it wet, but Sam insists on dunking her foot in the water bowl and letting it soak for a while!!! I need to have the water there for the heat wave we are having... catch 22 I spose!
I am thinking of taking the bandage off to check it since she insists on wetting it, I have put a plastic bag on her leg and hosed her down as well to keep her cool. Poor baby looks so sad!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Poor Sam. I hope she feels better soon. That has to hurt and hopefully this will be the last one. I think I would change the bandage and then wrap it with plastic so if she wants to get it wet in the water bowl she can. Good luck!

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Wow! 108, that's HOT! I got out my atlas, and couldn't find Victoria, but found the Great Victorian Desert.
My son leaves Feb 12 for a semester abroad in Newcastle. I hope he won't encounter any hot weather like you are describing.
(and sorry to hear about all your trials with dew claws. What is she catching them on do you think? I have been trying to keep Brooks' clipped, but am not sure how short to cut them)

·
3 goldens
11,956 Posts
I get a pain in my foot just reading about this, poor girl. I hope it heals soon with no problems.

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
Poor sweetie, hope she feels better soon. Do you have any idea how she's doing it? Our girl Rose tore her dew claw pad about 5 times one year, so I can really sympathize with you.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I think I too, would change the bandaging on it. Although, I am thinking, it is 11:00 PM here on Sunday night....it probably isn't too long now till Tuesday for you with the time difference. When Lexi's foot was so bad after removing her toe, I changed the bandage every other day, and tried to keep it dry. Really hard to do, as here we had so much rain, not heat like you. I would put plastic bag over it, and tie it around her ankle to take her out.
I so hope your sweet girl is feeling better real soon, I can imagine how painful that feels for her. :smooch:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow! 108, that's HOT! I got out my atlas, and couldn't find Victoria, but found the Great Victorian Desert.
My son leaves Feb 12 for a semester abroad in Newcastle. I hope he won't encounter any hot weather like you are describing.
(and sorry to hear about all your trials with dew claws. What is she catching them on do you think? I have been trying to keep Brooks' clipped, but am not sure how short to cut them)
Newcastle gets icky humid. And the flies D: Otherwise, it's not so bad. Nice place :)

You get a few 40 degree days strung through summer, but lately it hasn't even gotten to 40 and is unbearable.

I hope Sam gets better!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts