Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,709 Posts
I would reinforce all of those until they can do them in different places, settings, with hand cues, without hand cues, just words, etc.

I would also work on a crate/kennel up command unless that is your place command.

And that is great work!! Amazing for 15 weeks old.

·
Registered
90 Posts
First off, nice job with the training you are doing great!

Here are some fun ones:

1) Watch Me
2) Roll Over
3) Spin
4) Skateboarding? (Not really a command but I always think it would be fun to do).
5) Fetch

I am no dog trainer, but those are some fun things that I always think of wanting to teach my dog when I get him/her.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First off, nice job with the training you are doing great!

Here are some fun ones:

1) Watch Me
2) Roll Over
3) Spin
4) Skateboarding? (Not really a command but I always think it would be fun to do).
5) Fetch

I am no dog trainer, but those are some fun things that I always think of wanting to teach my dog when I get him/her.
Oh I forgot to add watch me, she has that one. We haven't done roll over or spin yet, and we're "kind of" working on fetch. I live in the country so no sidewalks so skateboard would be hard to teach, no hard surfaces to roll on.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Oh I forgot to add watch me, she has that one. We haven't done roll over or spin yet, and we're "kind of" working on fetch. I live in the country so no sidewalks so skateboard would be hard to teach, no hard surfaces to roll on.
Wow what a smart pup! Well you could try skateboarding inside if you wanted. You can try working on fetch, roll over, and spin in the meanwhile. I suggest that you get the app Puppr (I don't have it), but I see very good reviews for it so it would be great for your puppy! 😁

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow what a smart pup! Well you could try skateboarding inside if you wanted. You can try working on fetch, roll over, and spin in the meanwhile. I suggest that you get the app Puppr (I don't have it), but I see very good reviews for it so it would be great for your puppy! 😁
I do have a small bit of uncarpeted floor in the kitchen I could try on.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I like to teach my dogs a hand-touch. It can come in handy when you are trying to position your dog without touching them (I do Rally and agility and it's a useful core skill for both). You may also want to Google "cooperative care." This is teaching skills (like a chin rest or laying on their side) which will simplify grooming and vet care.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like to teach my dogs a hand-touch. It can come in handy when you are trying to position your dog without touching them (I do Rally and agility and it's a useful core skill for both). You may also want to Google "cooperative care." This is teaching skills (like a chin rest or laying on their side) which will simplify grooming and vet care.
Good ideas

·
Registered
43 Posts
Great foundations! Good puppy. You could also work on:

Others have mentioned Touch and I am a big advocate of that also
Drop it
Kennel up
Find it
Potty on command (I use "hurry up")
On by (keep walking and ignore the other dog/distractions)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great foundations! Good puppy. You could also work on:

Others have mentioned Touch and I am a big advocate of that also
Drop it
Kennel up
Find it
Potty on command (I use "hurry up")
On by (keep walking and ignore the other dog/distractions)
"Mine" is our Drop it, potty on command is "better hurry" for us. She knows "kennel" but Find it and On by are good ones.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Puppy sounds like she is doing great! Maybe swimming / intro to water, and retrieves on land and water if you haven't done those yet?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Water is ice here right now, and the indoor dog swim place isn't open due to covid. I am anxious to get her into water asap though!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Water is ice here right now, and the indoor dog swim place isn't open due to covid. I am anxious to get her into water asap though!
Ah that is tough. We’re doing the bathtub for now, till we can get into a doggy pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 47 Posts